Help needed picking new laptop backlit, Win10, Core i5 < $500?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My sister is on a budget and needs a laptop that'll run Windows 10 decently. Her only requirement is 15" screen, backlit keyboard, Win10 pre-installed. She mentioned she wants a Core i5 processor but I think that's mainly because she's coming out of an earlier Core i5 machine that she trusts but now she needs the ability to work in Windows 10 with performance of let's say 6 or 7 on a scale of 10 as far as how the machine responds and runs.

So far I've found this Dell Inspiron 15 5000, slightly on the high side price wise, but a contender:

https://www.newegg.com/p/1TS-000A-06UP7?Item=9SIAKZ3AJF6988

I would not spend my money on on any laptop sub $500 or not without a SSD drive. The hard drive is the biggest choke on system and the processor is irrelevant if i3 vs i7 if you have an old spinning HDD.

ASUS Vivo 15. For $500 she's really going to have to skimp out on another spec if she wants an i5. With this Asus Vivo 15, she'll have at least have a decent CPU with decent integrated graphics, 8GB of RAM, a 256GB SSD, backlit keyboard with fingerprint, and a 1080p screen.

Last edited:
HP 15t Intel Core i7-10510U Quad-core 15.6" Laptop w/ 8GB RAM, 128GB M.2 SSD $450 at techbargains.com. Can upgrade
to backlit keyboard for $30.

Originally Posted by Mercury321
HP 15t Intel Core i7-10510U Quad-core 15.6" Laptop w/ 8GB RAM, 128GB M.2 SSD $450 at techbargains.com. Can upgrade
to backlit keyboard for $30.

1366x768 resolution unfortunately. It's mind-boggling to me that HP still has low res panels for 15 inch laptops.

Check out the dell outlet. They usually have coupon codes that can be applied. You may get a 8th or 9th gen intel processor but as others have stated, getting one with an SSD should be on the top of the list.

Check HP's outlet, look for a 10th gen processor, i7 would be nice. The generation is the first number, 8 is the 8th and so on. I bought a used HP Elitebook for $125 on ebay recently, i7 2nd gen, SSD, dvd drive, like new and battery is 100%. Fresh licensed Win 10 pro installed. it works so fast and nice even with the early cpu., 8 ram is minimum I would say. Then there is Costco which extends the warranty in the deal.

Got a Lenovo IdeaPad s340 (or 430, not home to confirm) at Costco about a month ago. $400, backlit keyboard, ips 1080p touchscreen, i3, 8gb ram, 256gb nvme SSD. Great build quality, as expected from Lenovo.

I know you said you wanted an i5 but this thing handles my web development work just fine including running Adobe creative cloud programs like Photoshop etc.

I just purchased basically with those same requirements.

This is what I went with...

ASUS VivoBook 15 Thin and Light Laptop, 15.6" Full HD, AMD Quad Core R5-3500U CPU, 8GB DDR4 RAM, 256GB PCIe SSD, AMD Radeon Vega 8 Graphics, Windows 10 Home, F512DA-EB51, Slate Gray

Available on Amazon for under $500.

Link here

It's amazing, boots in 7 seconds, backlit keyboard, number pad. Excellent machine for the price point, especially with a Ryzen 5 chipset

ebay has ton a refurb machines (off-lease actually with Windows 10 Pro). They are of good specs. You can ask her to change HDD to SSD. In today's world, the processors are not as relevant if she is doing standard office work and/surfing. I am typing this on a 10-year-old i3-330i processor Toshiba Satellite A505-6005, just upgraded RAM and SSD that it. Once I get fed up with this, I will be getting refurb from ebay and do as I suggested.

Just one thing, don't accept 1366x768 resolution. It should be at least 720p.

Originally Posted by MoneyJohn

And what do you think 720p means?
smile.gif

Originally Posted by MoneyJohn

720p is 1280x720. But yeah, you want 1080p minimum. AMD seem to have better integrated graphics than Intel, but intel's aren't horrific anymore. They're more than enough for web browsing/office related tasks... I even game a bit on mine with the Intel Iris Plus 640.

While way above your budget, I have a 13" MacBook Pro with a dual core i5, NVME SSD, and a 2560x1600 screen. Similar specs on a windows machine should give similar results.

Go to Costco.com. Best prices, best return policy, best warranty.
Not the best selection...
I would stick with Dell or Lenovo.

If you wanna stick to $500, remember an i3 with an SSD drive will blow the doors off an i5 with any platter drive.
I think $550 gets you a decent i5 with an SSD.
Good luck.

Last edited:
Just found this on ebay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-IdeaPad-L340-15-Touch-15-6-HD-3-3200U-8GB-DDR-1TB-HDD-5400-RPM/153448316644?_trkparms=5373%3A0%7C5374%3AFeatured

lots of options today depending on $$$$ but you could get a throw away decent HP laptop for $250 last year!! another note on repairs smaller is worse as i replaced 2 hard drive thru the years, 15 min on a larger 17" full thickness + 2 hrs on a smaller + thinner 15" + i am not a tech but a DIY following instructions found on line!

In November I purchased an HP laptop, 8th Gen i5, touch screen, 250 gig SSD, lighted keyboard for $399 at Micro Center. What I like about HP is it connects full speed using Lan at home @ 240 Gbps. I have a Idea Pad that tops out at 70 Gbps and it is only 11 months old. It also required major surgery to replace HHD with SSD. Newer laptops I have are not so easy to upgrade. I work at remote sites and the Idea Pad was just too slow with an A6. Last week bought another HP 15.6 screen budget computer at Micro Center for $299.00. I could not be happier. It has a Razen 3 processor, SSD, and it has no lag. Pages loads fast with the wireless connection at work site . It does have the low resolution screen but at that price not a big deal. Graphics display nice. Keyboard types fine. I would not rule out a Razen processor. I am liking it better than my i5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back