Removing transferred dye?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gf and I went dancing Sat night and her new black dress rubbed off black dye onto my light colored dress shirt. I have it soaking in a solution of Woolite and Walmart brand Clorox 2 color safe bleach.

Is there a best,better way to do this without damaging the color of the shirt? What about washing it with Rit dye remover?

If it were a small area I'd try hairspray, otherwise rubbing alcohol. If it's a valuable shirt I might just let a dry cleaner tackle it and be sure to point out what the issue was.

Do NOT put it through a (heated) clothes dryer until you have exhausted all possible attempts at stain removal.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Dave9
If it were a small area I'd try hairspray, otherwise rubbing alcohol. If it's a valuable shirt I might just let a dry cleaner tackle it and be sure to point out what the issue was.

Do NOT put it through a (heated) clothes dryer until you have exhausted all possible attempts at stain removal.

It's black dye all down the front of the button up area and sleeves. We were dancing in a Cumbia competition and her new dress transferred dye all over it. I'll definitely take it to a dry cleaners if my soaking method doesn't work.

Quick update. An overnight soak in Woolite and the Walmart brand of Clorox 2,then washing it today in cold water got all the dye out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back