Found this old Fram XG8A on eBay

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Linked Image]

Was looking on eBay and came across this, I'm guessing it's about 15-20 years old, I think the Extended Guards were upped to 10000mi in the late 2000s, and rebranded to Ultra at some point in the last decade. What interesting packaging, it's a can like nuts and other small snack items come in with the metal pull off top and a plastic top to reseal it.

If I owned it I'd probably use it, buy it for $8.97, no thanks. I'd get a nice new one.

There's no way I'd buy it, I'm not sure I'd use it either, might be interesting to cut it open to see how they hold up after 15 years.

[Linked Image]

Looks a lot like the Ultra media, although the modern Ultra has a double layer of media doesn't it, this might only have one.

Yeah I've seen these old filters on eBay with the pop-top cans that look like Gatorade
laugh.gif

Fram should use those canisters again
smile.gif

THose triad fibers were late 90s/early 00s, as I recall. They offered them in oil and air filters. I recall having an AF with those in it.

Originally Posted by JHZR2
THose triad fibers were late 90s/early 00s, as I recall. They offered them in oil and air filters. I recall having an AF with those in it.

I took a look at the Framx2.com website listed on the can on archive.org, the first time it was archived was in October of 2000, and it looks like maybe around 2002-2003ish they started using the XG**** model numbers before they were EG****

Last edited:
Originally Posted by blufeb95
Originally Posted by JHZR2

I took a look at the Framx2.com website listed on the can on archive.org, the first time it was archived was in October of 2000, and it looks like maybe around 2002-2003ish they started using the XG**** model numbers before they were EG****

Pretty sure they've been "XG" prefix all along until now, the "Xtended Guard" name is where the XG came from. The newer "Ultras" have 2 layers, the Traid ones only had one.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
It's deceptive to call that an Ultra, no Ultra was ever rated at less than 10,000 miles. Not sure if the media is the same either.

It is not called an Ultra, it is advertising it's "ultra high capacity", which is probably where the Ultra name comes from.

Originally Posted by blupupher
[
It is not called an Ultra, it is advertising it's "ultra high capacity", which is probably where the Ultra name comes from.

I did say the rebranded the Exteneded Guard to Ultra, perhaps I should have said, replaced instead of rebranded, because the Ultra has a dual layer media, the previous Extended Guards were only a single layer I guess.

[Linked Image from web.archive.org]

This animation from the framx2 website from the early 2000s shows a fiter with an EG model

Fram probably droped the EG and used XG (called Extended Guard before becoming the Ultra) so that it wasn't confused with the "EG" meaning they may use for the orange can "Extra Guard", even though those filters typically have a "PH" model prefix.

They later used the "X" in Extended Guard to come up with XG, instead of EG. And kept the XG prefix for the Ultra.

[Linked Image]

I found this on Google Books in a magazine from November 2000, so either they were originally were going to call them EG and changed it last second or their was some miscommunication with marketing and they put EG on the marketing material when it should have said XG.

[Linked Image]

I found this on Google Books in a magazine from November 2000, so either they were originally were going to call them EG and changed it last second or their was some miscommunication with marketing and they put EG on the marketing material when it should have said XG.

Yep, looks like they were calling it Extended Guard then and using the XG prefix from EXtended Guard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back