looking for a good less costly 15-50 motorcycle oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
oil shopping as the REAL synthetics i have been using are getting more spendy, so lookin at Maxima Ester synthetic blend said to use 50% ester, also belray EXP synthetic ester blend but , no specs just bla bla marketing!! + last of all liqui moly 4T ALL 15-50 flavors, all about $8 a qt + or- delivered. i have 3 rides + with a not so long season in PA 5 thou at most on each. input or more specs appreciated by any users

Last edited:
Refining means removing less desirable elements from petroleum until
what's left is mostly higher-performing molecular structures. Waxy
stuff had to go because it made oil congeal at winter temperatures.
Aromatics had to go because they lost viscosity too rapidly when hot.
Unsaturates had to go because they were vulnerable to heat-driven
gumming and sludging. And so on.

What is 100% true for all the synthetics are uniform sized molecules
that don't exists naturally... so armed with that knowledge you can
shop for the best synthetic price because no matter what brand of
uniform molecules we choose they will meet or exceed our mileage
expectations...

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by BusyLittleShop
expectations...

Wait, so a Group III synthetic has different shaped molecules than a non-synthetic "dino" oil?

And all of this matters how in the far, far larger bearing clearance space?

Originally Posted by kschachn
expectations...

Wait, so a Group III synthetic has different shaped molecules than a non-synthetic "dino" oil?

And all of this matters how in the far, far larger bearing clearance space?

Exactly what I was thinking

Re: looking for a good less costly 15-50 motorcycle oil

Mystik JT8 15w50 $25/2 gallons at Rural King

$6/qt $22/gal $39/2gal at Oreillys.

Lots of UOAs great results, great oil.

Ive been using M1 15-50 in everything wet clutch for years without issue. My 2012 C-14 has 42K miles zero issues. The 200+HP H2 ...also Zero issues. Shell T6 also no problemo. The M1 can be had at WallyWorld for $24 jug all day long and the Shell even less. Getting all chemistry hair splitting adds little value if you change it regularly IMO.

I'm using Mobil 1 15-50 syn in my Moto Guzzi Convert.

No.issues in 600,000 miles in 35 years in all the Moto Guzzi s that I've owned.

$22.00 at Walmart

Just remember that it doesn't have a shared sump.

Convert
Tom

NO Castrol products!!! as they screwed up what was once sold as synthetic only being a real man made oil. i like 15-50 because it flows better in cooler weather + my bike starts, unlike Amsoils 20-50 that cranked too slow + killed the battery + the 50 gives more protection but many are said to shear quicker, a common thing with group III fake synthetics with a wider spread!! i prefer synthetics + at the moment Maxima ester blend with an advertised 50% of ester base oil is in the lead!

Because Mobil owns 80% of the synthetic market they can offer a value product for a competitive price...
If you wish to save even more then Mobil auto is even cheaper than their own Motorcycle specific oil...

Chemically speaking Mobil (M1) auto is about the same as Mobil's motorcycle specific oil...
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
BLS, the Mobil 1 15w50 has nowhere near that additive package in the oil you can purchase today

You've done this with other oils as well, it's not relevant when that oil is not available.

You don't state when that comparison was done and nowhere on the Mobil website is there any thing that could be construed as remotely close to that additive package in the 15w50.

It's not a matter of opinion here, it's a matter of fact.

Because Mobil owns 80% of the synthetic market they can offer a value product for a competitive price...
If you wish to save even more then Mobil auto is even cheaper than their own Motorcycle specific oil...

Chemically speaking Mobil (M1) auto is about the same as Mobil's motorcycle specific oil...
[Linked Image]

Yeah, maybe 15 years ago the Mobil 1 15w50 Auto oil had that level of ZDDP.

As of Oct. 2019 it has 1200 Phosphorus and 1300 Zinc, that's good enough for motocycles.

https://mobiloil.com/~/media/amer/us/pvl/files/pdfs/mobil-1-oil-product-specs-guide.pdf

Absolutely agree with you that the spec shows it's enough for most any motorcycle. FWIW, my used oil analysis on M1 15w50 showed just over a thousand PPM of zinc. My analysis, far right column.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...1200-mobil-1-10w40-4t-racing#Post4865603

BLS, what is the year that comparison was done? Another member alludes to the same question by saying it probably hasn't had that for 15 years. What is the point of posting it?

Mobil specifies 1300 PPM, and almost 1700 PPM is being claimed by you as representative in this case. Point being current M1 15w50 has nowhere near almost 1,700 PPM of zinc.

Originally Posted by kschachn

Clearly, because the picture says so!

More importantly, the additive molecules in a synthetic oil are also all the exact same size and perfect spherical shape as the oil molecules themselves!

lol.gif

Originally Posted by Bonz
BLS, what is the year that comparison was done? Another member alludes to the same question by saying it probably hasn't had that for 15 years. What is the point of posting it?

It's his MO. Look through his posts and you'll see he just copies & pastes the same ol' misinformation over and over again - borderline trolling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back