Hope to hear from State Farm today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or tomorrow . In regard to our 2015 Chevy Sonic . Which was hit about 2 weeks ago by a lady running a stop sign .

If they total it , one option would be to replace it with a 2019 or 2020 Sonic .

Our Sonic has the 1.8l NA 4 cylinder . It seems , the 2020 Sonic has the 1.4l turbo 4 cylinder ( not thrilled about a turbo ) .

Seen a few videos on youtube about " fixing " a PCV problem on that engine . Any one know if that problem still persists on the current model Sonic 1.4l ?

Thanks , :)

The Cruze had an issue with high mileage engines where the PCV valve was built into the valve cover and the valve cover had to be replaced if it went bad. I think the part was about 150 bucks. Overall, it's a good car. The earlier ones had issues with turbo valves but that has been corrected.

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
Our Sonic has the 1.8l NA 4 cylinder . It seems , the 2020 Sonic has the 1.4l turbo 4 cylinder ( not thrilled about a turbo ) .
Give them a chance you old curmudgeon, you may find they suit your liking.

Originally Posted by Silverado12
The Cruze had an issue with high mileage engines where the PCV valve was built into the valve cover and the valve cover had to be replaced if it went bad. I think the part was about 150 bucks. Overall, it's a good car. The earlier ones had issues with turbo valves but that has been corrected.

Think the same 1.4l is used in the Cruze and Sonic ?

What are you considering high mileage for the 1.4l ?

Originally Posted by maxdustington

What concerns me about a turbo , is not when new , but past 100,000 miles . Awfully $$$ if it has to be replaced .

And we have been quite satisfied with the 1.8l NA engine in the 2015 Sonic . If it ain't broke , don't fix it .

Originally Posted by Silverado12

The valve cover only went bad because the check valve inside of the intake manifold failed. Usually the intake manifold and the valve cover get sold together.

This is in addition to the coolant leaks (from various areas), water pumps and turbo's which somewhat commonly failed on the older 1.4's. But the newer 1.4's are a different engine altogether.

What concerns me about a turbo , is not when new , but past 100,000 miles . Awfully $$$ if it has to be replaced .
Auto trans durability > turbo durability.
Turbo durability > chance of someone crashing (into) it and writing it off.
grin2.gif

Good luck. It took us over 6 months to negotiate a settlement with State Farm after their customer ran a red light. In hindsight, I wish I had just called the guy on TV. lol

Daughter has a 1.8 on a first gen Cruze. I had the 1.4 turbo on an Encore. As referenced, pcv built into valve cover-- went out a couple of times. Think another valve built into exhaust manifold. When totaled, that was flashing CEL's and would have been very expensive to fix. Miss all the electronic goodies on my Encore, but my Soul's power train, despite stories of bursting into flames, etc, seems much simpler and more durable. Know this means little, but remember that 1.4 clanking as it began to cool in my garage... Soul, everything's quiet as can be.

I've had three GM's and four HyunKia's this century and the GM cars, although not lemons, have averaged a thousand or so in repairs. The HyunKia's have all been trouble free.

Looked carefully at the Sonic in '12 before getting a Rio. At that time I passed because I wanted the 1.4 with manual trans and all they had were 1.8's (car was new). Had I known about the 1.4 I would have probably closed on the Sonic. Liked the initial styling with the round headlights (hatch only, didn't like sedan at all), thought it was far less interesting with the mid-gen restyle.

And we have been quite satisfied with the 1.8l NA engine in the 2015 Sonic . If it ain't broke , don't fix it .

New turbo is $424 on Rock Auto for that car...includes the intake manifold.

Had a recent good luck experience with State Farm. Got hit at an intersection. Had the right of way, other motorist rolled thru the stop smacking me just behind the driver side rear door. 3k in damage. Had to shell out $500 deductible but just got it back yesterday from SF who clawed it back from the other insurance co. Took 2 months.

Auto trans durability > turbo durability.
Turbo durability > chance of someone crashing (into) it and writing it off.
grin2.gif

So true.

My fiance got hit back in July at a stopsign and it was 3 or 4 weeks IIRC before we could even get someone out to look at the car. And, while it should have been totaled, it was not. Had the "frame" straightened, roof replaced, quarters replaced, trunk lid replaced, filler neck/ evap and a wheel. With the rental for a month, it came to almost $8k. seems a lot to me!

Geez. I can't complain about SF. Collision on Dec 11, car went to an approved body shop for an estimate on Dec18, back in for repairs on Dec 26. Picked it up a week later on Jan 3. Got my deductible back three days ago on Feb 14. Of course the other driver got a summons for careless driving. That didn't hurt.

Maybe $500 for the part and an hour or two labor. Nothing crazy.

My Volkswagen has the PCV in the valve cover too. I do believe that the internal parts for that which commonly fail are now available aftermarket (odd they don't have them separate). For your Chevrolet there may be the parts you need available in the aftermarket. Next time I get that problem I will look for the aftermarket parts that should have been available from the dealer because it is a rip off to replace a whole part because of one piece that is somehow changeable. Sorry to hear about he accident, it always sucks even when it is not your fault and you get reimbursed for everything. If people would STOP at a stop sign this stuff would not happen but unfortunately I always see people roll through without even slowing down. If I had a nickel for every one of those I almost t-boned I would own an Audi S8 fully loaded!! They don't care at all and they do it even if you are at or even under the limit. I could go on for quite a while with all the things like that I see with all the shenanigans some people pull.

Rotsa ruck with State Farm. Years ago a guy insured by State Farm ran a red light and totaled my vehicle. (Fortunately no injuries.) Not only did they refuse to admit fault until I got a lawyer friend involved, they tried to get me to store the wreck at home rather than pay for storage while they were deciding what to do. It was an old car so in the end I wound up with the princely sum of $500 for my trouble.

I was a State Farm customer for , maybe , 20 years . Then they , in my opinion , gave the the bad end of a situation . I changed insurance companies shortly there after .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back