Alfa Stelvio first thoughts +pics

Originally Posted by madRiver
Originally Posted by MCompact
Very nice!
I'm surprised that a few of the oh-so-practical appliance drivers haven't popped in to advise you of the error of your ways...

The Mazda CX-5 ....... especially if turbo an irrelevant comment......

I love the Alpha , a neighbor has the insane version with twin turbo V6 madness and the noise!

Alfa is the only company that knows how to make V6 with proper noise.
That 2.5 V6 they had in 155? I mean what jewel that was!

Originally Posted by Olas
The Italians have a certain 'finesse' with steering geometry and suspension/chassis dynamics that cannot be quantified using regular metrics. Its something you feel through your fingers and your butt-dyno. We laugh at such 'tactile' improvements with the oil in our engines...

Actually if you look at the other big company that really nailed great steering and handling dynamics in the past and present Peugeot is one of them!
This is a real positive for US buyers if you ask me.

Yep, science really can't match analogue human design in this respect, and probably never will since science worships at the alter of digital now.

Last edited:
Alfa is making some very nice and competitive vehicles which are getting praise from the magazines for performance and handling. Unfortunately the magazine articles I have read all complain about the reliability. Car and Driver had a stellar review for the sedan but could not recommend it due to it having so many problems and dealer visits. Let us know how you make out in 10k mile updates or something.

Very nice!
I'm surprised that a few of the oh-so-practical appliance drivers haven't popped in to advise you of the error of your ways...

I love the Alpha , a neighbor has the insane version with twin turbo V6 madness and the noise!

He was talking about the Camry and Crown Vic type stuff.

Really though, the Stelvio is a notch above the Cx5 turbo, Macan, and similar cars. It's just a bit more deft and a bit faster by a few ticks, at the expense of a long history (which seems to be current) of poor reliability, so maybe he was talking about us, lol! We took a slightly less engaging, but safer bet.

Good for OP though, I look forward to how it does over the next 100k miles or so.

Originally Posted by Ws6
Very nice!

Really though, the Stelvio is a notch above the Cx5 turbo, Macan, and similar cars. It's just a bit more deft and a bit faster by a few ticks, at the expense of a long history (which seems to be current) of poor reliability, so maybe he was talking about us, lol! We took a slightly less engaging, but safer bet.

Good for OP though, I look forward to how it does over the next 100k miles or so.

CX-5 and Macan? I think you forgot to mix CX-5 with Lamborghini and Bentley.
lol.gif

Next year: CX-5 in competition with Orion space vessel.

Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by Ws6
Very nice!

CX-5 and Macan? I think you forgot to mix CX-5 with Lamborghini and Bentley.
lol.gif

Next year: CX-5 in competition with Orion space vessel.

It's a Macan. They arent anything special except for the wide tires. The Stelvio is a more balanced package that takes it up a notch though.

Originally Posted by Ws6

It's a Macan. They arent anything special except for the wide tires. The Stelvio is a more balanced package that takes it up a notch though.

Confusing part is CX-5, Macan and similar cars. There is nothing similar between those cars and CX-5.
And there is much more to it than wide tires.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Ws6

Confusing part is CX-5, Macan and similar cars. There is nothing similar between those cars and CX-5.

Acceleration is similar. Braking is similar. Skidpad favors the Macan with those tires. Driving dynamics are similar, and several reviews mention this.
Motoman (who owns a GT3 and has driven all of these vehicles somewhat recently) describes it at around the 9:30 mark. We get that you like to hate on the CX5 turbo, but you are utterly alone in this endevour, and you've never driven one, and from what you tell us, have never even owned any kind of sports vehicle. Get out. Go drive.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=530&v=WEhkY2Sofmc

Originally Posted by HemiBenny
These Alfa Stelvio's are absolutely gorgeous to me. Fine choice in color, it looks great!

Agreed. The style and colors are on point. I even like the LOOK of the interior. Dunno how it is to the touch, but I like everything about the thing, visually.

Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by Ws6

Acceleration is similar. Braking is similar. Skidpad favors the Macan with those tires. Driving dynamics are similar, and several reviews mention this.
Motoman (who owns a GT3 and has driven all of these vehicles somewhat recently) describes it at around the 9:30 mark. We get that you like to hate on the CX5 turbo, but you are utterly alone in this endevour, and you've never driven one, and from what you tell us, have never even owned any kind of sports vehicle. Get out. Go drive.

I bet that CX-5 was on RT43
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by Ws6

I bet that CX-5 was on RT43
smile.gif

ROFL!

I had a set of RT43's on my last CX5. They were what I'd call "okay". They were good in the rain, good in the snow, okay when dry, and okay for noise. My LX25's are what I'd call "good". They just take it up a notch in every way from the RT43's, mainly and most noticeably in dry traction, and in the NVH department.

That said, tires make a HUGE difference of course. I really think the CX5 would post a lot better numbers if they tested them on a decent tire (That's on Mazda for using bad tires, though, to be fair. The Toyo A36 tires should be thrown away as soon as you drive off the lot, unless you're like me, I threw them away half-way through my first year of ownership when they were worn out (4-4.5/32 left). At just 4K miles less than when I trashed them, the LX25's I replaced them with still show 8/32 all around, btw...). Looking at the SUV's TireRack tests, a tire in the same size can make 0.05g difference in dry skidpad as well as mannerisms, I'm sure, even in the same family/class of tire (not a summer UHP vs. a all-season).

The tire on the Macan are literally INCHES wider than CX5 or Stelvio for that matter, tires. That is why I'd bet it would out-handle either quite handily, but its brakes and acceleration put it square in the CX5's sights (slower in some tests, faster in some tests.) and the Stelvio ahead of both by a meaningful margin.

Long story short, no way in [censored] I'd ever spend base Macan money on a base Macan. It's nothing more than a Q5 on a set of rims with some badging and a bit of programming/tuning here and there, and the only Q5 worth getting is the SQ5, otherwise why pay the Audi tax in cost/reliability when a Stelvio will carve it up for breakfast for less money, if you're a gambler like that? Really wouldn't buy base anything out of Germany in an SUV while the Stelvio is around. Makes zero sense.

Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by Ws6

My wife and I have driven one...and there was little comparison. My wife literally spent less than 5 minutes behind the wheel of the CX5 before she said "nope", your turn. I took it for a spin, and it just felt blah. At the time she was driving a BMW X3 Sport. There is just something special about the driving dynamics of the Alfa that the Mazda doesn't have. Is the Mazda a class leader to its peers...yes, but there is something else with the Stelvio.

Yes, I admit I am "odd" in my preferences for a vehicle given I would rather drive my Abarth than the Stelvio, but I really enjoy the Stelvio for what it is, and most importantly my bride LOVES it.

Anyways...we are approaching 17,000 miles, and our second oil change. My initial impressions still pretty much stand true. The brakes have improved with being broken in, but they still feel odd...there is no denying that. We do have one recall I still need to get done. I guess if you park on a very steep hill, the fuel gauge reading can get thrown off leading to someone running out of gas...but we live in Iowa, so not so worried there. I do have a piece of trim around the back seat that doesn't snap down correctly, but I will take it up with the dealer next time we go down there. All in all, no complaints or concerns at all so far.

Originally Posted by DriveHard
Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by Ws6

My wife and I have driven one...and there was little comparison. My wife literally spent less than 5 minutes behind the wheel of the CX5 before she said "nope", your turn. I took it for a spin, and it just felt blah. At the time she was driving a BMW X3 Sport. There is just something special about the driving dynamics of the Alfa that the Mazda doesn't have. Is the Mazda a class leader to its peers...yes, but there is something else with the Stelvio.

Yes, I admit I am "odd" in my preferences for a vehicle given I would rather drive my Abarth than the Stelvio, but I really enjoy the Stelvio for what it is, and most importantly my bride LOVES it.

Anyways...we are approaching 17,000 miles, and our second oil change. My initial impressions still pretty much stand true. The brakes have improved with being broken in, but they still feel odd...there is no denying that. We do have one recall I still need to get done. I guess if you park on a very steep hill, the fuel gauge reading can get thrown off leading to someone running out of gas...but we live in Iowa, so not so worried there. I do have a piece of trim around the back seat that doesn't snap down correctly, but I will take it up with the dealer next time we go down there. All in all, no complaints or concerns at all so far.

What comparison? It is Mazda, it i nice vehicle. That is it. Earth will go around the sun numerous times before Mazda is where Porsche, Alfa, BMW etc. are at current point.
That is fine, but this constant mixing of Mazda with Porsche, Alfa etc. to me looks like fishing for confirmation bias.

Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by Ws6

Was it a base cx5 or a 2019 or newer turbo? They feel totally different. I had a loaner (2018 gt with tech) and it felt horrible. They tweaked the suspension very well for the turbo models. If you drove a non turbo, I agree 100% with your wife. It wasnt planted at all.

Originally Posted by P10crew
Originally Posted by Imp4
That front end looks very... feminine...

^
27.gif

Um...it is my bride's car...not mine...

^
27.gif

But who would care if it was? I got over judging people by their cars years ago. Ranger buddy of mine rolled up in a VW jetta, while one of the Delta guys was rocking a Honda Pilot, last training I attended. My jujitsu professor rocks an Element. Buy the car for what it do, not to compensate for any image issues you have.

Originally Posted by Ws6

^
27.gif

But who would care if it was? I got over judging people by their cars years ago. Ranger buddy of mine rolled up in a VW jetta, while one of the Delta guys was rocking a Honda Pilot, last training I attended. My jujitsu professor rocks an Element. Buy the car for what it do, not to compensate for any image issues you have.

HA! Again, look at my daily driver...I have no concerns at all what others think of my choice in cars. I have been told I drive a "girls car" more times than you could imagine ;-) The Alfa is 10x more manly than my Fiat!!!

HA! Again, look at my daily driver...I have no concerns at all what others think of my choice in cars. I have been told I drive a "girls car" more times than you could imagine ;-) The Alfa is 10x more manly than my Fiat!!!

Some people legit get wrapped around the axle on it. I used to when I was a kid, it just seems some people never grew up in that regard. I began viewing tools as tools. Reflective only of the user's intent, and nothing else.

Back