Buying used vehicle's with over 200k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by atikovi
Don't recall seeing many Subarus with over 300,000 miles for sale.

I don't recall seeing many of ANY make being sold with over 300k miles, regardless of market share...

Originally Posted by 01rangerxl
Originally Posted by CKN
OP-

For many buying a car with 200,000 miles and putting another 100,000 miles on it is the pinnacle of automotive excellence on BITGO!

Not for me......but for many.

What's BITGO? Bob is the guy oil?

It sounds like you have been buying low quality disposable cars? Those are not for me...

I think he's saying he has no interest in buying any vehicle with high mileage and then driving it even further. I consider ANY vehicle with 200k miles or more a beater, regardless of quality.

Originally Posted by Leo99
You expect to get $3000 for a Jetta with 324,000 miles? You're a great salesman!

It's a TDI, it'll definitely sell for that.

Originally Posted by gathermewool

I don't recall seeing many of ANY make being sold with over 300k miles, regardless of market share...

Not a scientific search by any means but I checked Ebay for sold VW and Subaru over 300,000 miles and found these two VWs but not a single Subaru,

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-Volks...rue&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-Volks...rue&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

If the price is right, I'd go for it, but I'm a gear head. You need to go into it as a platform to build on and not a road ready vehicle.

Tires, suspension and steering will likely need work as well as minor engine tune up stuff. If it's picked up for a few grand and only needs half that or less in parts, why not?

Originally Posted by gathermewool

I have a 2003 Subaru Forester with well over 380K miles. Speedometer was broken for years so probably mid 400s. I would sell it for $250.

I should have sold it years ago.. I paid $200 for it and drove the bejeezus out of it.. i wish i could buy it new and start over.

We just got a 2010 ford fusion with 218k / $2400 for our youngest to drive to school and work.......it was a 1 owner from and older couple, the wife had a 90mile round trip to work.

she took an early retirement offer and they decided they didn't need it. in the 4 months previous they put 4 new tires, front end alignment, front struts, alternator, serpentine belt, battery, full fluid change, front head light fixtures and bulbs, spark plugs, PCV valve, manifold gaskets and valve cover gasket.

And all the maint. records from the dealer.

I thought it was a pretty good deal.

I have no issues with letting her drive the vehicle at all.

Originally Posted by Skippy722
Originally Posted by CKN
OP-

For many buying a car with 200,000 miles and putting another 100,000 miles on it is the pinnacle of automotive excellence on BITGO!

It sounds like you have been buying low quality disposable cars? Those are not for me...

I think he's saying he has no interest in buying any vehicle with high mileage and then driving it even further. I consider ANY vehicle with 200k miles or more a beater, regardless of quality.

THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I have been known to drive $500 cars in the past, sadly most of these $500 cars sell for a lot more these days.

No idea how or why, my friend got almost $3000 for his Impala with 300k on the clock, can't understand some people

I have my beater that I could sell for $1.5k barely; now I know that worth more than the market say so... but it is still a beater

this is why I won't be selling it but keep it within our family

Originally Posted by CKN
Originally Posted by Skippy722
Originally Posted by CKN
OP-

THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

And that's perfectly fine, but it doesn't really answer the OP's question of how/why other people might keep a vehicle for a long time or purchase it once its value has bottomed out. We already know you don't like anything old/high miles, especially Crown Vic and 4Runner dinosaurs, but these vehicles do work for other people and are perfectly valid choices if you know what you are doing. Not everyone wants to spend $40k +, then take a massive depreciation hit selling/trading a couple years later because the vehicle is now a dinosaur that might make it to 100k, and repeating that over and over. If it works for you, great. It doesn't for me. I would rather buy what I like and fix it than dump a ton of money into something I don't like that will depreciate rapidly, and will still have maintenance and other expenses.

Spending a lot of money on something because I think it won't/shouldn't last a long time, and repeating that over and over, does not add up to me, but if it works for you, do it!

Originally Posted by zzyzzx
I would be OK buying a vehicle with more than 200K miles on it. I just wouldn't pay much for it. Like maybe a few hundred.

I'm not sure that parts cars go that cheaply these days... maybe if stripped out or just a completely undesirable model.

I swear, it seems like, if it runs and moves it's worth a grand.

Originally Posted by zzyzzx
I would be OK buying a vehicle with more than 200K miles on it. I just wouldn't pay much for it. Like maybe a few hundred.

$25,000 for a 2013 F250 with 227K https://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-Ford-...rue&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

$11,000 for a 2013 Lexus RX with 209K https://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-Lexus...rue&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

$8,000 for a 2008 BMW M3 with 204K https://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-BMW-M...rue&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

How much of that is just fishing to see if anyone would bite?

Those are SOLD prices.

The BMW says "bidding ended" so I can see how that one solde, but the other two are ambiguous--they say "Bidding has ended on this item. The seller has relisted this item or one like this."

If those are sold prices...
crazy2.gif

To me it would have to depend on:

1.) The car. That way I know what "known" or "reoccuring" issues the car can have. ie: head gasket issues on subarus, DCT issues on fiestas/Focuses, carbon buildup on BMW DI engines, etc. Timing chain vs timing belt too.

2.) The person. I'm more likely to buy a 200K mile car from a person I know, that I can trust they've taken care of their car and I know their driving style.

3.) Maintenance records. Did they car get it's timing belt (if it has one) or serp belt changed recently or am I doing to have to take care of that. Oil change records, maintenance history, take a look around the engine bay to see if I notice any leaks.

Edmunds praises my 2015 with 182K miles at around $3K for a private sell. My car is in good mechanical condition with all maintenance recorded by the dealer and the typical front bumper/hood highway rock chips on a 182K mile car. With that being said, I would not spend over $2K on a car with over 200K miles and I definitely wouldn't be listing my car that high at $3K either.

Originally Posted by Pew
Edmunds praises my 2015 with 182K miles at around $3K for a private sell. My car is in good mechanical condition with all maintenance recorded by the dealer and the typical front bumper/hood highway rock chips on a 182K mile car. With that being said, I would not spend over $2K on a car with over 200K miles and I definitely wouldn't be listing my car that high at $3K either.

Sold a 236,000 mile 2001 Honda Insight on Ebay a year and a half ago for $5,300. All depends on the car, condition and buyer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back