Home window security

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by alarmguy

This thread is about protecting a home btw *L*

Sorry, you're right, I'm misreading your response.

Originally Posted by PimTac
That is, if your local police will respond to alarm calls. Many do not anymore.

It doesnt matter, its the only option and quite honestly, it is not true that police will not respond. Im not saying you are lying, your just not aware of the options and maybe reading to much fake news media.

Again, its the only, the one and only way to make sure no one breaks into you house and stays there all day destroying it and the only, only way to make sure someone is not in your home when you come home at the end of the day or that of your wife or god forbid a younger child or daughter alone.

Last edited:
In my area the police do not respond to residential alarms. They won't respond to break ins that have happened already. Only if someone is in danger will they respond.

I have a neighbor who had large rocks thrown through his front windows a short while back. This was in the evening. He is quite elderly too. The police did not respond but a person did show up later the next morning to write a report up since he doesn't have internet access.

It's probably a local thing but I've heard similar stories from other people that the police do not respond to simple theft anymore. Just go online, file your report and get a report # for the insurance. The same goes for accidents too. If there are no injuries then there is no need for the cops.

In my area the police do not respond to residential alarms. They won't respond to break ins that have happened already. Only if someone is in danger will they respond.

I have a neighbor who had large rocks thrown through his front windows a short while back. This was in the evening. He is quite elderly too. The police did not respond but a person did show up later the next morning to write a report up since he doesn't have internet access.

It's probably a local thing but I've heard similar stories from other people that the police do not respond to simple theft anymore. Just go online, file your report and get a report # for the insurance. The same goes for accidents too. If there are no injuries then there is no need for the cops.

I want you to know I am not being a smart*** just talking.
"happened already"
If someone calls the police and tells them people are breaking into a home, the police will respond. Its that simple, if I am wrong and someone lives in a part of the country where police will not go to a home being broken into, well then, it would simply tell you, that the police control you and not you the police, which I know is not true.
Heck there would be no law and order.

Its simple, your alarm goes off, the video feed from the alarm shows someone in your home. You call the police, the police will go to your home, if not, move out of that town because once people know, no one will want to live there and property value will plummet. :eek:) ... *L* and the police will lose their jobs

Last edited:
PimTac,

Sad that cops don't respond unless there's a shooting with weapons.

Some areas of the country cops have become reactive due to politicians being anti law enforcement.

If the perpetrator isn't there, what do you expect an officer to do? He/she can take a report or you can file one yourself online and get a case# for your insurance. In some instances there's no need to have an officer dispatched to the home. Instead they might just do an are check looking for the described perp. An actual burglary may or may not necessitate a response for the same above described reasons. Many of the changes to how your local 911 dispatch codes a call have to do with limited resources and not because of "politics" as some on this thread suggest.

Fwiw, a longtime (+20yrs) friend is a sargent on the Portland Police Bureau. He and I "talk shop" from time to time. They only have so many officers working a shift. Calls like a vandalism call (the rock throwing) where there's no perp, are usually going to be coded low priority. You'd be surprised how much of their time on any given shift is spent just responding to drunks in bars, DV situations, MVA's, restraining order violations, suspicious person's/vehicles and such... stuff typically where there's an "active" event occuring. If people want better police service, stop voting down bond measures and local excise taxes to fund these services.. it's as simple as that. Otherwise, you get what you got. (basically ppl, not you per se Pim, want faster, better, more emergency services but don't wanna pay for it.. sorry, it doesn't work that way. Money for these services doesn't grow on trees)

Last edited:
^^ all this talk is greatly exaggerated ^^

Sure, maybe out of the thousands of miles this country is made of, maybe but doubtful police would not respond to someone breaking into a home or business.
If you happen to live in a tiny, tiny, tiny, tiny fraction of the country where this takes place, well, you choose to live there or you are the one who voted for it.

Its not even worth commenting on any further, almost silly to say, that a burglar can walk/break into a home, take whatever they want, assault whomever they want and the police wont stop them or respond to the break in. Pure B.S.
Properly installed security systems are a major deterrent to burglars (and other bad people) anyone who says otherwise has no idea what they are talking about.

Last edited:
Alarms, security bars, guard dogs and cameras are just there to keep people honest. Except for firearms, there is no real deterrent for thieves - the goal is to slow them down or make them move onto easier targets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back