I Did Buy the 4Runner 3.4 V6 w/253,000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
1) Previous owner kept detailed records and was truly OCD about maintenace

2) OCI's at 6k using 5w30 Castrol syn-blend

3) Transmission rebuilt at 130k and fluid has 30k miles (never heard of transmission in Taco or 4runner needing rebuilding)

4) Water pump and TB replaced 20K miles ago

5) Coils, plugs, and plug wires, O2 sensors, MAF sensor replaced last month

6) New tires

7) AC compressor, expansion valve, receiver dryer replaced in 2016

8) New battery...last year

9) I checked and rechecked..no rust anywhere

There's a new niggling things: gotta get a new antenna (yes, I still listen to the radio), visor w/Homelink needs replacing...very hard to find, big scratch on passenger door in rear, and lastly....clear coat coming off roof (in places) and small place on hood.

Otherwise, its a sound truck

He provided me 2 OCI's of oil, never used Castrol but its free and 5, yes 5 Toyota oil filters

I'm seriously thinking of using HM semi-syn heavier oil when the free oil runs out.

Do the fluid changes.

And if that 4Runner had only used the Castrol its entire life, I'd tend to stick with it.

I did 30K sevice intervals with Amsoil or Maxlife ATF back when I had my beloved 2002 Tacoma. 190K at trade in with not issues. I did put a external transmission cooler on it.

I had a honda accord with 210k miles,
The ONLY thing that failed was alternator (delphi) changed with a Denso

couple of wheel bearings and rotors and timing belt once wtih spark plugs, that is it.

How was this 4runner used? not of failure of parts, what could be the root cause?

Originally Posted by Speak2Mountain

5) Coils, plugs, and plug wires, O2 sensors, MAF sensor replaced last month

Wonder what he was chasing, bad performance or MPG?

If the power-steering fluid has not been changed within the last 3 years, do multiple drains and fills. Fresh fluid reduces the probability of the power-steering system having problems such as the seals for the pump or other parts leaking.

Get a old container to put the used power-steering fluid in. Get a funnel, Pep-Boys sells a nice very long funnel. Buy two big bottles of power-steering fluid and some kind of suction device. I used a low cost bottle that normally ketchup or mustard is put in and put a small diameter brass tube in the top to extend the ability to pick up to about 10 inches. Suck out all the power steering fluid you can from the pump, then fill the pump with new fluid, and put the cap back on the pump. Start engine and turn wheel all the way to right, then all the way to left, the all the way to right, then all the way to left, then back to center, and stop engine and repeat suction and fill and turning with engine running until you use all of the two bottles up.

Repeat every 3 years.

Originally Posted by JimPghPA
If the power-steering fluid has not been changed within the last 3 years, do multiple drains and fills. Fresh fluid reduces the probability of the power-steering system having problems such as the seals for the pump or other parts leaking.

Get a old container to put the used power-steering fluid in. Get a funnel, Pep-Boys sells a nice very long funnel. Buy two big bottles of power-steering fluid and some kind of suction device. I used a low cost bottle that normally ketchup or mustard is put in and put a small diameter brass tube in the top to extend the ability to pick up to about 10 inches. Suck out all the power steering fluid you can from the pump, then fill the pump with new fluid, and put the cap back on the pump. Start engine and turn wheel all the way to right, then all the way to left, the all the way to right, then all the way to left, then back to center, and stop engine and repeat suction and fill and turning with engine running until you use all of the two bottles up.

Repeat every 3 years.

Thank You for the tip.
I wonder if my wife's turkey baster would work too for suction?

I would use a syn ATF instead of power steering fluid. It is the OEM fluid. I don't know about the PS system on the 3.4, but on the 3.0 I had, it needed two rebuilds within 100K. I think something to do with getting too hot. I switched to Redline D4 ATF sometime after the second rebuild and it never had an issue after that. Sold it at 206K with occasional reservoir drain and fills. It actually made the steering more easy to turn, too. I do the drain and fills on by current 4Runner...still using the D4.

Originally Posted by Toy4x4
I would use a syn ATF instead of power steering fluid. It is the OEM fluid. I don't know about the PS system on the 3.4, but on the 3.0 I had, it needed two rebuilds within 100K. I think something to do with getting too hot. I switched to Redline D4 ATF sometime after the second rebuild and it never had an issue after that. Sold it at 206K with occasional reservoir drain and fills. It actually made the steering more easy to turn, too. I do the drain and fills on by current 4Runner...still using the D4.

If a vehicle specs power steering fluid,can atf be used in its place? What exactly is "power steering fluid"? My Accord specs Honda branded power steering fluid,but my 300ZX spec'd atf?

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by JimPghPA

Repeat every 3 years.

Thank You for the tip.
I wonder if my wife's turkey baster would work too for suction?

It will work. I just went to a Vet's office and purchased the biggest syringe they had and attached some clear tubing to the nozzle.

I don't know if one can replace the other. Honda doesn't make their own, but use a outside manufacturer and relabel it. Match the specs for either car and you're good to go.

I use Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF in my power steering. I too saw easier steering when I first did it around 200k. Im at 235k now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back