More on Cord Cutting - costs going up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by CKN
Originally Posted by RazorsEdge
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
I stay with Cable because some popular weekly TV Shows cannot be viewed live & current, without a Cable subscription.

I don't have a cable subscription and I can watch live TV shows including sports, just a matter of learning how and installing the right apps.
56.gif

49.gif

Legally?

Do you run all over town for .49 cent oil too?

All legal streaming, millions of people are streaming their TV shows every day, this is hardly new by any stretch of the imagination. People are tired of the cable pig,plain and simple.

thumbsup2.gif

I stay with Cable because some popular weekly TV Shows cannot be viewed live & current, without a Cable subscription.

I don't have a cable subscription and I can watch live TV shows including sports, just a matter of learning how and installing the right apps.
56.gif

49.gif

How? Please reply with alternative way to watch a local (within same city metro area) MLB team - NFL team - NBA team - NHL team..... all four..... without paying for a 2nd party subscription.
Plus, there are current run TV Shows that places like Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime cannot touch for one year..... not until the following year's new episodes appear.

How do you watch those?......... please tell us. I desire a clear TV picture also..... not a captured phone app with a fuzzy, dark picture on youtube.
Share with us please! I would love to tell my cable provider goodbye and save money too.

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Alarmguy is right. I dont have cable, darn sure dont miss it either. Have my ROKU and that's it. May get amazon fire stick or Netflix. Comcast internet isnt bad but I'm getting a reliable internet router very, very soon

Roku rocks! You may have seen past posts of mine, we have 5 of them.
I strongly suggest Netflex (mostly only because I am anti Amazon*L*) but in all truth they are good. We get Amazon free, daughter gives us her password and we give our Netflex password to her.

With that said, using both services and watching material on both services, we defiantly prefer Netlfex but also find some good stuff on Amazon. However if our daughter ever cancels Amazon, we would not miss it.
Im not knocking someone using Amazon, I just personally totally hate the company, but its good to have Amazon around to keep Netflex price in line, sometimes I think Netflex wants to have cable TV pricing but seems Amazon put the brakes on that.

Last edited:
Yeah Comcast/Cox went retardo on my folks for basic cable/internet. They brought the boxes back and two days later they wanted to sign them up for services. I overheard some of the conversation and laughed as my mom told him to do something not physically possible to himself. I have a theory on why the price hike. People are cutting the cord at an aggressive rate and they are too eager to earn only new business. My folks had their services for 15 years and weren't willing to work with the loyal supporters.They have to increase to cover all their lost business. I get most news and entertainment from talk radio with Rush or Hannity. I think things were sometimes better before TV/internet 'cept BITOG!

No corporation with work with anyone if they know that person will not switch services (same goes for insurance) The longer your with a company, the higher price you pay.
There is always a way to get a better rate on anything and in the computer age, its is easy as ever

56.gif

49.gif

How? Please reply with alternative way to watch a local (within same city metro area) MLB team - NFL team - NBA team - NHL team..... all four..... without paying for a 2nd party subscription.

Plus, there are current run TV Shows that places like Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime cannot touch for one year..... not until the following year's new episodes appear.

How do you watch those?......... please tell us. I desire a clear TV picture also..... not a captured phone app with a fuzzy, dark picture on youtube.
Share with us please! I would love to tell my cable provider goodbye and save money too.

We are still waiting for a reply here on how you can watch LEGALLY!

Originally Posted by CKN

56.gif

49.gif

We are still waiting for a reply here on how you can watch LEGALLY!

I've talked to Triple 7 about this by pm, it's not hard to find alternative ways to stream TV like I've described legally.

Short answer :

Get yourself an android box, Walmart or Amazon - 50-60$

Install free apps for watching TV and movies. You can find all this info on YouTube.

49.gif

Short answer :

Install free apps for watching TV and movies. You can find all this info on YouTube.

49.gif

Android boxes are an option. Only thing I don't like with them is that many of the feeds aren't good, you click to get the show and it just waits and waits and waits. I also find that a lot of those sites get knocked down and you constantly need to update and download the latest Kodi and search all over youtube for sites to use.

Maybe you've had better experiences using Android boxes.

Originally Posted by JC1
Short answer :

49.gif

Android boxes are an option. Only thing I don't like with them is that many of the feeds aren't good, you click to get the show and it just waits and waits and waits. I also find that a lot of those sites get knocked down and you constantly need to update and download the latest Kodi and search all over youtube for sites to use.

Maybe you've had better experiences using Android boxes.

The days of Kodi are gone IMO. I use apps on an Android box without issues. There's even websites with live tv links, if a person wanted to, you can cast these to the TV using ChromeCast without even buying an android box. Like I've said, so many ways to go about this and YouTube is where I learned about it all.

49.gif

Short answer :

49.gif

Seems like all of these youtube videos tell you to set up a VPN. I'm guessing it's required to access most of these 'free' channels? If so, there is a monthly subscription fee for that, so it's not exactly free.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Short answer :

49.gif

Seems like all of these youtube videos tell you to set up a VPN. I'm guessing it's required to access most of these 'free' channels? If so, there is a monthly subscription fee for that, so it's not exactly free.

VPN is a separate thing all its own. I paid for 3 years of IpVanish for 60$ so do the math it's not expensive. You do not need a VPN to access the free channels. I use it for watching movies.

I'm watching Jumanji The Next Level right now. That's a new movie that I'm watching using only a VPN and 1-app.

Guys there's so many ways to do this, I cannot stress this enough. Learn about this, it's just taking the information from YouTube, getting an Android box, or Chromecast content straight to your TV.

Cut the cord last week myself. My Dish network bill went from $91 to $136. Told them to pound sand. Yanked the old dish off and installed a nice antenna on the mount. Picked up 54 stations. Most are good except a few Spanish, Religious, and a few shopping channels that we don't watch.

Also got Sling. The Mrs, and I sat down and we realistically watch about a dozen channels consistently. Antenna and Sling worked out great for us so far. Total bill $45 plus tax.

Originally Posted by FADEC
Cut the cord last week myself. My Dish network bill went from $91 to $136. Told them to pound sand. Yanked the old dish off and installed a nice antenna on the mount. Picked up 54 stations. Most are good except a few Spanish, Religious, and a few shopping channels that we don't watch.

Also got Sling. The Mrs, and I sat down and we realistically watch about a dozen channels consistently. Antenna and Sling worked out great for us so far. Total bill $45 plus tax.

Fantastic, Welcome to the club! We have been pay TV free for darn close to 8 to 10 years. Our total bill is $20 for Netflex and Hulu plus using 5 Roku players in our home which has 100s of free stuff/channels/movies plus our attic TV antenna for all locals which happens to be every major network tv stations and their side channels. We still have way, way, way, way too much TV and can not watch it all.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by alarmguy
Our total bill is $20 for Netflex and Hulu

You're paying for the Internet connection also, correct?

Originally Posted by Greggy_D

Yes,
We have had internet since 1995, around 2010 or so, I figured out how to best take advantage of the internet we were paying for by installing an OTA antenna, purchasing an OTA recorder with free TV schedule as well as 5 Roku boxes and last but not least canceling pay TV. Yay!

** 3 years back my wifes company started paying for our internet ** so it was a nice additional perk.

Last edited:

Yes,
We have had internet since 1995, around 2010 or so, I figured out how to best take advantage of the internet we were paying for by installing an OTA antenna, purchasing an OTA recorder with free TV schedule as well as 5 Roku boxes and last but not least canceling pay TV. Yay!

** 3 years back my wifes company started paying for our internet ** so it was a nice additional perk.

I pay $7.00 dollars a month for Tablo's on-screen TV guide and automatic commercial skip. The commercial skip feature alone is worth it. I have a 1TB hard drive the Tablo records to.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CKN

Yes,

I pay $7.00 dollars a month for Tablo's on-screen TV guide and automatic commercial skip. The commercial skip feature alone is worth it. I have a 1TB hard drive the Tablo records to.

I have a Channel Master with free TV guide w/ 1TB drive but no longer sold, yes, its all pretty cool, works just like a cable box, actually exactly like a cable box , they do have something else now but never bothered to check it out. I did buy my son a TIVO a bit pricey but no subscription fee either, works the same as my Channel Master, if the Channel master ever quits I would get one for myself.
I just took photos of my attic set up below, I set my sons up the same way but he doesnt have a distribution box. I give my builder credit, that box made everything nice and clean, there was even a wire provided to the attic for me to hook up the antenna. The automatic commercial skip sounds great, our first channel master had that, then there was some kind of lawsuit at the time I bought the upgraded channel master which forces you to skip in 15 second intervals, I guess the lawsuit was thrown out and the new Tivos have the channel skip again too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back