Difference in brake hose brands?

I have an odd question. Has any one ever noticed a difference is build quality or performance in different brands of rubber brake hose?
OE Motorcraft
AC Delco
Raybestos
Sunsong
The sunsong ones are extremely cheap on rock auto and I'm not really interested in those.

A shop put some Hecho en China junk brake hose on my car when I had broken my ankle, couldn't DIY, and had to get through a state inspection. When that hose developed a crack, I replaced with Raybestos and the difference was quite considerable in overall quality. Including a big piece of rubber on the hose that reduced flexxing during certain suspension movements. You don't have to pay OEM prices, but "you get what you pay for" is still very applicable to that stuff.

The chinese $4 "Goodride" hoses on my w123 were indistinguishable from OE in fit, form, and function.

The Sunsong ones are better than any you listed except for OE. This is a Chinese company that is a legit manufacturer to the auto industry and is committed to producing a quality product. I use them a lot and have been very satisfied with them and other lines they make.

You will find the hose has the correct approvals, every bracket and fitting is exactly as OE and is corrosion resistant.

Edit: I am normally not a fan of Chinese goods but if the company is a legit manufacturer and not just a reboxer of crap I am willing to give them a look see, in this case it was well worth it.

http://www.sunsongusa.com/

Last edited:
Sunsong seems to be the brand Dorman and ACDelco/BPI rebox.

They seem to be pretty decent, I've used them.

Originally Posted by Trav
The Sunsong ones are better than any you listed except for OE. This is a Chinese company that is a legit manufacturer to the auto industry and is committed to producing a quality product. I use them a lot and have been very satisfied with them and other lines they make.

You will find the hose has the correct approvals, every bracket and fitting is exactly as OE and is corrosion resistant.

Edit: I am normally not a fan of Chinese goods but if the company is a legit manufacturer and not just a reboxer of crap I am willing to give them a look see, in this case it was well worth it.

http://www.sunsongusa.com/

Originally Posted by nthach

They seem to be pretty decent, I've used them.

x 3. They are my go-to brand when OE is unavailable, and I have used them for years with zero issues.

Originally Posted by nthach

^This. A few months ago, I got two brake hoses from RockAuto for the same application. One was an ACDelco, the other was a Sunsong. They were identical down to the casting marks on the metal fittings.

The problem I have with buying from a reboxer like B&A, Delco, etc is they may not buy all part numbers from the same manufacturer. Some may be good quality and others craptastic.

I bought some ac Delco brake hoses and there were just sunsong hoses in the AC Delco box. I did some research on sunsong and they seemed like a very large legit company. From then on I only have bought sunsong hoses and they have always seemed high quality and fit every time.

I may or may not have ever replaced a brake hose . ( In 50 years . )

Can not remember for sure . But I do not live in the salt / rust belt . I do , however live in the sun belt . Does any of that make a difference ?

Originally Posted by dan_erickson
Well, I am very surprised that you all think highly of Sunsong.

I have used their brake and power steering products in the past and I've been favorably impressed as well. The power steering pressure hose assembly I bought for my old ECHO was identical in appearance to the OEM one I replaced, right down to the location of the clamps and abrasion resistance coverings. It's been about 3 years now since I've installed the thing and it hasn't leaked yet.

I also bought Sunsong brake hoses for my Accord, and another set of PS pressure hoses for a friend's Camry. They all have worked fine.

Originally Posted by kschachn

I have used their brake and power steering products in the past and I've been favorably impressed as well. The power steering pressure hose assembly I bought for my old ECHO was identical in appearance to the OEM one I replaced, right down to the location of the clamps and abrasion resistance coverings. It's been about 3 years now since I've installed the thing and it hasn't leaked yet.

I also bought Sunsong brake hoses for my Accord, and another set of PS pressure hoses for a friend's Camry. They all have worked fine.

My understanding is that there are only a few makers of brake hoses (and other hydraulics) in the PRC so most brands will be selling similar products.

Why? Its not like there cant be legit companies in China that make quality stuff. Granted, cheap crap made in back alley sweatshops is more the norm in the auto industry especially rebranded and counterfeit parts but with China now being the largest car market in the world its no surprise some companies are making OE or close to it quality parts under their own label.

I bought a GM OE front engine mount for a 3800 gen II and it is made in China with GM branding in the rubber bought at a GM dealer. No NOS USA made are left to buy so what do you do when there is no alternative.
BTW the quality was OE nothing like Westar, Anchor, DEA, Meyle and the rest of that absolutely worthless crap.

All of them will be the same Sunsong hoses except the OE Motorcraft

The aftermarket hoses will almost always be the same Sunsongs. There is nothing wrong with Sunsong, and they are now an OE supplier

Correct...the reason Sunsong is dirt cheap is because they are a supplier to US (and foreign) distributors...they are factory. They decided a few years back to go direct...which sort of didn't work out as they'd hoped, because it [censored] off a whole lot of their big customers who went elsewhere. Sunsong makes good stuff.

I don't think this board is against Chinese parts so much as very aware that different manufacturers vary widely in quality. We want good parts of OEM quality or better for a significant percent less then one can order the OEM ones. Otherwise it just makes more sense to get the part # and then order the OEM stuff from one of the many many many dealers parts departments doing wholesale pricing online.

Originally Posted by GZRider
I don't think this board is against Chinese parts so much as very aware that different manufacturers vary widely in quality. We want good parts of OEM quality or better for a significant percent less then one can order the OEM ones. Otherwise it just makes more sense to get the part # and then order the OEM stuff from one of the many many many dealers parts departments doing wholesale pricing online.

01.gif

Originally Posted by GZRider

That about sums it up. I put Sunsong PS lines in a VW 6 years ago with a new rack, the originals were rotted badly thanks to someone leaving the under body shield off.
Original OE over $350 the Sunsongs $40. 6 years on they are still pristine, no rust, no leaks they fit perfectly, every bend and fitting matched OE exactly.
On the other hand I have used others for more money and found them to be nothing more than poorly made cheap crap but hey it had the Gates name on it.

Back