1 time wax car after more than 10 years opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is why I like using the Optimum No Rinse and spray wax. Your less likely to remove clear coat over a period of time. This is extremely important in Florida.

If you are really wanting to fix it. this is the clearcoat to use.

https://www.amazon.com/U-S-Chemical-Plastics-4333062164-Spraymax/dp/B0043B7UQY

be careful as this is professional quality stuff. paint boot rated resporator is Mandatory or you can get nerve damage from breathing this stuff. Also goggles for your eyes.

I did mine in my double car garage so the overspray would not get on my OCD neighbors truck, i sanded down with 1000 grit wet. sandpaper until the edges were feathered in. you have to be careful not to cut through the color coat where the clear is fully gone. block sanding will help here but still be careful.

wash with water and a spongue the wipe down with alcohol. do an entire section or you will have blending lines to deal with. it can be done but requires a practiced hand.

therr are many youtube videos on how to do it.

Originally Posted by Amkeer
I used Nu Finish in the 80's and 90's. I don't use it anymore since there are way better alternatives out there. Your plan sounds solid. I use Optimum Products, Chemical Guys, Adams and Mcguires. Since I am in Florida the sun will cook the finishes. I use a spray wax on a microfiber towel on each wash or every other wash. It takes about 15 minutes to do the whole vehicle. I use Optimum Spray Wax and Optimum No Rinse to clean. I keep my vehicles for a long time so the product needs to be good.

Yeah, I can't believe people still recommend Nufinish...there are MANY better products available today...might as well recommend the old Simonize from the 1950s...

Originally Posted by grampi
I used Nu Finish in the 80's and 90's. I don't use it anymore since there are way better alternatives out there. Your plan sounds solid. I use Optimum Products, Chemical Guys, Adams and Mcguires. Since I am in Florida the sun will cook the finishes. I use a spray wax on a microfiber towel on each wash or every other wash. It takes about 15 minutes to do the whole vehicle. I use Optimum Spray Wax and Optimum No Rinse to clean. I keep my vehicles for a long time so the product needs to be good.

Yeah, I can't believe people still recommend Nufinish...there are MANY better products available today...might as well recommend the old Simonize from the 1950s...

Consumer Reports which does test for durability finds that Nu finish still does a good job in this respect.

Define better? Yes-there are products that don't do the "black plastic/rubber thing"-but NuFinish has a durability component that is right up there among the best and newest.

There are plenty of youtube videos that illustrate this.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CKN

Define better? Yes-there are products that don't do the "black plastic/rubber thing"-but NuFinish has a durability component that is right up there among the best and newest.

Okay, just for the sake of argument let's say that Nufinish lasts as long as any of the other products (which it doesn't, but let's say it does). Why wouldn't a person use something else just because Nufinish stains trim? That alone is enough for me not to recommend Nufinish...

Originally Posted by CKN

Okay, just for the sake of argument let's say that Nufinish lasts as long as any of the other products (which it doesn't, but let's say it does). Why wouldn't a person use something else just because Nufinish stains trim? That alone is enough for me not to recommend Nufinish...

What do you recommend instead of nu finish?

Like I said there is way better products out there, I wouldn't even consider using NuFinish. Klasse All In One is good all around sealant and you can top it with Klasse SG if you wanted. It won't damage your rubber and black trims like NuFinish will. You can also check out products from Maguires. I use Optimum products too. I primarily use a spray wax like Optimum Spray Wax as it is applied after every wash. I use it on my boat too. The key is keeping the finish free of contaminants. If you do you can just apply the spray wax. You can also start with a ceramic type coating then periodically apply a spray wax to it. My Tundra still looks brand new after 12 years in the Florida sun using these methods.

Originally Posted by Leo99
What do you recommend instead of nu finish?

As has been recommended every time this subject comes up, Collinite, Zaino, Klasse, and Duragloss all make better products, as well as many of the new spray-on ceramics, and even some of the non-ceramic sprays...none of which will stain trim...

I buy nufinish now thinging or using Nufinish (sealant) then griot garage wax I buy on clearance for$3.25 ? Is this is good idea ?

just buy Nufinish and have griot best of show wax can I apply Nufinish then best of show wax ?

I guess you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make 'em drink...
confused2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back