Rislone compatability

Thanks Delmarpaint & Madhatter !
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Originally Posted by ChrisD46
In my first and current Rislone experiment - the Sedona in my sig has used synthetic oil (SM -> SN -> D1/Gen1 -> D1 Gen 2 / SN+) most of it's whole life . After a week in the oil sump - the Rislone has quieted start up and the engine sounds over all smoother . Conversely , the dipstick shows little change in oil darkening which means either the Rislone cleans slowly OR the engine doesn't have much internal cleaning needed . I'll weigh in more after 3,000 miles .

There are extra detergents and esters in Rislone that will clean, if you indeed have a bona fide issue with sludge and deposits. However if you've been diligent about a) using a quality lube and b) changing your oil on time, then you likely have little to no sludge/deposits to begin with. So you might not notice a meaningful change in DS color (right off the bat) outside what is normal for you, if you don't have a big problem to begin with. But like demar' said, give it some time to see what develops. The active ingredients are slow acting and meant to be left in for a full drain interval so they can do their trick.

I have some Rislone in the lady's Camry right now....

Running good so far...
This container of Rislone is a bit old I'd bet.... That top left corner is textured... That the old 32 oz container I got from Napa ..
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bbhero
I have some Rislone in the lady's Camry right now....

Running good so far...
This container of Rislone is a bit old I'd bet.... That top left corner is textured... That the old 32 oz container I got from Napa ..
[Linked Image]

That's the full size bottle, right? I bet that's the same formula for the last 20yrs or more. I've used the 16oz HiMi formula the last couple of times. I think I used it about this time last year. I try and run it once a year as a "spring cleaning" type thing. It's not that expensive at all. Every now and then Amazon has it for about $4, so I'll pick up a couple.

Yes sir... It's the 32 oz sized bottle....

I got a older vintage here of Rislone... The one I put in the lady's Camry was 32 oz too but it has no textured upper left hand corner... That was a "newer" less aged vintage
lol.gif

Thanks for all the constructive replies.

Report: cold start lifters are quiet as new.
Rear main seal stopped leaking altogether.

First time I've ever used a crank case additive that did exactly what it claimed it would do.
Thanks to who ever turned me on to this stuff!

Wow that's good news. You mentioned the rear main seal stopped leaking as well. Did you use the same brand of motor oil during the Rislone cleaning as you were using prior? How many miles did you go with the Rislone in your engine? How many bottles did you use?

Originally Posted by P10crew
Thanks for all the constructive replies.

Report: cold start lifters are quiet as new.
Rear main seal stopped leaking altogether.

First time I've ever used a crank case additive that did exactly what it claimed it would do.
Thanks to who ever turned me on to this stuff!

Be careful, posting positive results about an oil additive can be dangerous. All kidding aside there are some good additives out there that can be of benefit in some instances. Glad to hear you had good results!

Honestly, Bars makes products that work. While I don't use it because I have no need to, Rislone is one of the few oil additives I would use and not think twice about leaving in the engine without worrying about what it's going to do to my oil or engine.

Originally Posted by LeakySeals
Wow that's good news. You mentioned the rear main seal stopped leaking as well. Did you use the same brand of motor oil during the Rislone cleaning as you were using prior? How many miles did you go with the Rislone in your engine? How many bottles did you use?

1 bottle same m1 10-30 vanilla full syn. 2000 so far on a 4000 oci.

Interestingly Rislone makes no claims about reconditioning seals in their "HM Formula", yet it's about 11% ester...

*I just added a bottle of Rislone 16.9 oz. High -Mileage version to my oil change along with PUP 5W30 for my 2017 Sonata 2.4L GDI engine with 34K miles on it … No , this doesn't quality as "high mileage" - I decided to try Rislone over a 4K OCI to see if it might address the oil usage I am experiencing with this GDI engine ? I use a D1/ Gen 2 synthetic normally and run for 4K OCI . I used PUP 5W30 because it was in my stash , so along with Rislone I want to make sure my rings have been cleaned to the max . It may do nothing at all with this concoction (except perform a super clean with the PUP 5W30) - worse case the Rislone sure does smell good when poured into the engine !
Thanks Delmarpaint & Madhatter !
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
In my first and current Rislone experiment - the Sedona in my sig has used synthetic oil (SM -> SN -> D1/Gen1 -> D1 Gen 2 / SN+) most of it's whole life . After a week in the oil sump - the Rislone has quieted start up and the engine sounds over all smoother . Conversely , the dipstick shows little change in oil darkening which means either the Rislone cleans slowly OR the engine doesn't have much internal cleaning needed . I'll weigh in more after 3,000 miles .

There are extra detergents and esters in Rislone that will clean, if you indeed have a bona fide issue with sludge and deposits. However if you've been diligent about a) using a quality lube and b) changing your oil on time, then you likely have little to no sludge/deposits to begin with. So you might not notice a meaningful change in DS color (right off the bat) outside what is normal for you, if you don't have a big problem to begin with. But like demar' said, give it some time to see what develops. The active ingredients are slow acting and meant to be left in for a full drain interval so they can do their trick.

Originally Posted by Jackson_Slugger

Interestingly Rislone makes no claims about reconditioning seals in their "HM Formula", yet it's about 11% ester...

It may be a side effect of the Rislone. Over time seals can become covered with a thin layer of sludge and varnish. This acts to prevent proper lubrication of the seals causing them to shrink and/or become brittle. Cleaning that gunk out could allow the seals to once again be properly lubricated and exposed to the seal conditioners in the oil allowing the seal to return to it's normal size.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
It's not the same. The word 'performance" in comparative manners, can be highly debated.
I've been comparing both since 1970, when I first used the 32oz. Then the Concentrate followed around 1990.
They sure haven't worked the same for me. If you see both on the same retailer store shelves, buy the 32.

I would not use the 32oz in a 4qt crankcase, the 16oz HM product seems to work well for valve train noise not caused by a mechanical or excessive wear issue.

Yeah, I am guessing the ester content is boosted on the 16oz. "High Mileage Formula" anyways...
I have contact Rislone they 16.9 oz concentrate active ingredient ( which I think tmp ester ) which you find 32 oz this just for example if 6 qts sump it will better used 32 oz bottles and if 4.5 qts it will better 16.9 oz.

I have contact Rislone they says it depends on oil sump size if 6 qts it will better 32 oz and 4.5 it will better used concentrate 16.9oz.
They also say you can use two 16.9 oz concentrate bottles in a 6 quart sump for 100 miles, for a faster clean up. Two bottles of the concentrate according to them is stronger than the 1 qt. bottle.

Back