VOA Valvoline Synthetic Dexos1 Gen 2 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
Does anybody still see Valvoline Modern Engine on the shelves?

I see it at Walmart, but it's not moving much. I'm sure it's good, but they did a poor job marketing it.

Valvoline Advanced always $24.97 at WM - never seems to go on roll back ... Because of that I look for other synthetic deals .

FYI, I just sent a UOA sample of Valvoline Advanced Synthetic 5w-30 to Blackstone early this week. I'll hopefully have the results next week. The sample was pulled during an oil change on my '19 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.4L (4237 mile OCI). If the UOA looks decent, I'm gonna stick with Valvoline going forward. I'll post the UOA as soon as I get it. My wife drives this vehicle 99% of the time for her work commute, with about an 8-mile commute on the highway, to an exit to a city environment with stop / go traffic for about 10 minutes each way. This oil was used from 3/15/19 to 8/17/19. On weekends the Santa Fe gets used for the occasional 50-100 mile excursion. No oil was used / added during the OCI. Sump is 5.02 qts., oil filter was a Fram XG9688. FWIW, upon draining, the oil was not terribly dark. . .maybe a coffee-colored brownish color, but far from black. Stay tuned!

Originally Posted by Robster
FYI, I just sent a UOA sample of Valvoline Advanced Synthetic 5w-30 to Blackstone early this week. I'll hopefully have the results next week. The sample was pulled during an oil change on my '19 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.4L (4237 mile OCI). If the UOA looks decent, I'm gonna stick with Valvoline going forward. I'll post the UOA as soon as I get it. My wife drives this vehicle 99% of the time for her work commute, with about an 8-mile commute on the highway, to an exit to a city environment with stop / go traffic for about 10 minutes each way. This oil was used from 3/15/19 to 8/17/19. On weekends the Santa Fe gets used for the occasional 50-100 mile excursion. No oil was used / added during the OCI. Sump is 5.02 qts., oil filter was a Fram XG9688. FWIW, upon draining, the oil was not terribly dark. . .maybe a coffee-colored brownish color, but far from black. Stay tuned!

Thanks, look forward to seeing it. My commute is similar. It's about 7 miles one way. Winters are tough on the oil.

Originally Posted by buster

Thanks, look forward to seeing it. My commute is similar. It's about 7 miles one way. Winters are tough on the oil.

Agree. I drive daily 80 mi round trip highway and during the winter my UOA flash point drops 20-30 F contingent on the lowest temperature for that day. A stretch of 0 to 10F temps drops the flash point .

And ? read your own post …

How do you know the additives you love are in the current formula?

Originally Posted by 4WD
And ? read your own post …

How do you know the additives you love are in the current formula?

I guess I will if I pay money and send a sample off for a VOA.

And a quick check of Walmart.com still shows the Dexos 1 Gen 2 formula on their website.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
You get what you pay for Harman, even thou it's overpriced in my opinion. Modern is definitely beefier than Advanced.

From what I can see, Valvoline Advanced Synthetic and Valvoline Modern Engine are of similar quality.

The difference is that Valvoline Advanced Synthetic has a somewhat high ash content at 0.97%. While it's not stated for Valvoline Modern Engine, I expect it to be around 0.8%.

Therefore, Valvoline Modern Engine could be better at its marketing claim, which is reducing the intake-valve deposits (IVD) in GDI engines, because of its lower ash content.

However, I like the lower VII content and thicker base oil of Valvoline Advanced Synthetic better, and it would definitely be my choice for a non-GDI engine, especially with a turbocharger.

I am hopeful that Valvoline Synthetic Advanced 5W30 will run well in my Sonata 2.4L GDI engine and reduce intake valve deposits (even with the higher ash content ) .

Originally Posted by ChrisD46
I am hopeful that Valvoline Synthetic Advanced 5W30 will run well in my Sonata 2.4L GDI engine and reduce intake valve deposits (even with the higher ash content ) .

Chris. . . have you heard about any issues (real world) with IVDs on the Hyundai GDI engines? I'm on a few forums and I've never seen posts about that occurring. . . ever. I really do think that IVD concerns are overblown in many discussions about GDI engines.

*That is hopefully the case … Local Hyundai service centers push their intake valve cleaning service showing actual intake valves all gunked up which they claim came out of their vehicles .
Originally Posted by ChrisD46

Chris. . . have you heard about any issues (real world) with IVDs on the Hyundai GDI engines? I'm on a few forums and I've never seen posts about that occurring. . . ever. I really do think that IVD concerns are overblown in many discussions about GDI engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back