engine maintenance Jaguar

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2013 Jaguar XF, 3.0 V6 supercharged. Stock they are 340 HP, I have mine tuned to an untested 475.

I am the second owner and have no records. The car has done 90K miles ( I got it 13 K ago from a jaugar dealer who made an oil change.) OIC are 15K, I did mine at 5k.

The 8 cyl versions of this engine are known to die of oil starvation. The 8 Also has chain guide wear that stretches the chain and destroys the engine. Guesses for this reason are not checking the oil ( these cars have no dipstick and no oil pressure gauge or idiot light)

There is a oil level indicator that requires a process to get a reading -the engine to be run 20 minutes, sit 20 minutes and checked using a magic wand (lol, no a button on the stalk) So many people ignore them they could be gong for that reason) Also overfilling is a concern, for the same reason, shops don't check the magic wand because of this invovled process and hope they fill with what the pull out so over-filling is an issue as well and can cause the starvation

The oil required is an 0W-20 european grade " Professional" Castrol not available here except through the dealer.

Oil changes are done with a siphon tube in the oil filler ( really a nice feature. The dealers supposedly use this process.) I made one change using valvoline and am looking to do another.

Choices are limited in oil selection. Only Ravenol is up to Jaguar specs (besides castrol from the dealer or shipped from UK.

A couple of things, the location of the siphon as well as the drain plug leave about 1/2 inch of oil in the sump. Since the car may have had extended OIC, I wnat to see if there is a way to do a quick clean before the next change.

Some thoughts from the jaguar boards, ( use 2 bottles of injector cleaner in the tank before the change? Anyone ever hear that that can loosen sludge??)

Any ideas about something I can do to to gently just loosen/dissolve any potential residue in the sump left after long OIC? Should I just do short OIC with good oil? HDEO? Use an additive? Do a flush?

Any comments would be appreciated ( except for the criticism about buying a jag, I have had British cars, including 2 other jags, for years and an just a sucker

What I'm hearing is you bought a near 100k mile supercharged Jaguar maintenance and history unknown then ran a stupid tune which upped peak power by almost 50% without supporting mods. If the previous owner neglected to do the oil changes on time, no product sold in a bottle is going to remedy that engine, save for a replacement. If it is not damaged and those OC's were just undocumented, then Techron Concentrate or Redline SI or another other PEA cleaner should help along with doing several short cleanup OCI's like you have been.

Originally Posted by Eddie
Is there a Jaguar forum where you can get with other owners? GOOGLE Jaguar forum and see what pops up. Ed

I am looking for lubrication recommendations, not how to polish my wheels or fix electrical gremlins...

Originally Posted by GZRider
What I'm hearing is you bought a near 100k mile supercharged Jaguar maintenance and history unknown then ran a stupid tune which upped peak power by almost 50% without supporting mods.

Chill dude. Why do you think the tune is "stupid?" You're an expert on tuned Jaguars? Then you know the jaguar needs no "supporting mods". The V8 version of this engine is capable of 575 hp with the XFRS tune from Jaguar. The 3.0 with the same tune is about 100 HP less (pull 2 cyl from the V8, -25% less displacement, 25% less HP) its the exact same engine, block and all.

Originally Posted by GZRider
If the previous owner neglected to do the oil changes on time, no product sold in a bottle is going to remedy that engine, save for a replacement. If it is not damaged and those OC's were just undocumented, then Techron Concentrate or Redline SI or another other PEA cleaner should help along with doing several short cleanup OCI's like you have been.

The recomended OIC is 15k Miles with that oil if It was maintained correctly, based on the oil spec from the manufacturer. I just wnated to make sure its cleaned up in case that was not enough now that I am running more power. Figured that might be a good idea... Thanks for your suggestions...

Originally Posted by Dinoburner
And the Master Tech at the closest Jag dealer says????
Bring it in so I can have a look-see @ $200/hr.

OP, don't go chasing waterfalls, please stick to the rivers and the lakes that you're used to.

What I mean by that is it might be better to let whatever sediment is there stay there, as opposed to trying to stir up junk for...ideological reasons of engine cleanliness. You can try and engine flush additive or whatever, but y tho? What is to be gained besides piece of mind? Just do a burnout and forget about it, you have 475 reasons to not care.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Originally Posted by Dinoburner
And the Master Tech at the closest Jag dealer says????
Bring it in so I can have a look-see @ $200/hr.

OP, don't go chasing waterfalls, please stick to the rivers and the lakes that you're used to.

What I mean by that is it might be better to let whatever sediment is there stay there, as opposed to trying to stir up junk for...ideological reasons of engine cleanliness. You can try and engine flush additive or whatever, but y tho? What is to be gained besides piece of mind? Just do a burnout and forget about it, you have 475 reasons to not care.

LOL yeah $200 about right.. Yea I hear ya, my only concern is the oil starvation issues on these cars, trying to do whatever to keep mine for another 75K miles...

Originally Posted by Eddie
Gee, I'm sorry. I thought I made an intelligent recommendation to look for a Jaguar forum. Please forgive my ignorance. Ed

sorry if I sounded snide, the Jag forums mostly discuss wheels and how expensive service is, rarely anything mechanical or technical ... so you can feel my pain.

Sorry my suggestion to talk to someone who has at least some training in Jaguar as opposed to people who have the same insight s I do about about Jag oil recommendations.

I'm heavily researching BMW X5 50i and I see much of the same on the forums. Usually it's a my xxx (tech) doesnt work not a legit discussion of the drive train. That said you don't deserve to be ounded for mods. There is a big BUT here and that is that the reliability record of your vehicle is not stellar. So how to maneuver around that is the key. I would try and find a reputable Jag Indy and seek his advice. I know some Indy's wont deal with a modded vehicle for sometimes difficult troubleshooting once you get to mods on such a tech heavy car.

I'm with ya here but the mods complicate things on any car. Jag/BMW even more. Me I'd be using whatever oil I could at a reduced OCI and a UOA to get a baseline and slowly go from there even with the awesome sump capacity.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I am doing short OCI (5K) and just got the blackstone kit) to get a read. Problem with the oil is the Jag spec. Only easily available oil (not form a jag dealer) is Ravenol, and I have seen some reviews that say it is not consistent and sometimes additives are lacking of what is required by the approved spec. Pretty shady.

Even tho the car is modded, I am generally very sedate driver.

Regardless these engines have a history of oil starvation and weak timing chain gear (guides, gears) so oil spec is crucial to get right. (Even though JLR has no idea what is correct for the car to combat bad design)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back