What kind of snow blower do you have and what do you run in it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2006 Craftsman (made by MTD) 88790 9 HP Tecumseh engine, 28 inch cut, 2 stage with electric start. Runs on whatever 87 octane gas I buy and gets an annual oil change of Havoline Conventional 5W30.

Just bought a Briggs and Stratton 22" gas snow blower. So far it's good, I do wish it threw snow a little further. I also wish the chute adjustment wasn't mounted so low... I use BP 89 octane in it, and it's currently using the 5w30 oil they supplied.

[Linked Image]

I've got a 1986 Agway 825 (maybe made by Noma) with a Tecumseh snow king 8 hp. It has Pennzoil Platinum Plus 5w30 in it at the moment.

Also have a Farm King 5010 (from around 1988), running off the 3 point of the Bolens/Iseki. Open bevel gear on the blower, manual says no lube, so no lube, but I fluid film it for storage. Caroline Premium Blue 10w30 in the tractor.

2000 model year Yard Machines 7hp 24". Tecumseh OHV engine. One of their first models with it.

2015 model year Ariens Snowtek 208cc , 28". LCT engine. It's probably around 6-7hp.

They've seen nothing but E10 regular gasoline with 91oct non-ethanol the past few years. Oil used is anything I have on hand. Usually generic 5w30. Oil changes every year or two.

Ariens Compact 24 with LCT engine.
87 octane with stabil.
5w30 fully synthetic oil. Usually Supertech.
Change oil regularly.
Working just fine at the moment.

2014 Troy-Bilt, 179cc 24" 2 stage. It's a basic blower, nothing fancy but with adding an impeller kit, large thick steel skids and tire chains it works pretty well. My garage is under the house so the driveway is 3-5 feet lower than the lawn and it's a fairly steep rutty stone driveway 45' long X 20' wide. It uses 87 octane E-10, no E-0 gas available, and Shell Rotella T 10W-30, garage kept. It starts on the first pull and with patience it'll work through the EOD without much effort. It beats shoveling like I did for 35 years
grin.gif
. I worked at Lowe's at the time and got it brand new in the box for $450. The upgrades were less than $100 and made it a much better snow blower at a still cheap price
cool.gif

Whimsey

Almost forgot my backup snow thrower. In case the John Deere should get tired, but it never does.
Also have a 1992 Toro 521. Running 5W-30 conventional oil along with the Swift aviation fuel.
Only used the John Deere once so far this season. However, season ain't over yet.

I bought a little Kubota garden tractor with a blower last December. Haven't had a chance to use it yet; not sure if I should be sad or glad as we've gotten hardly any snow this year and it's been a pretty mild winter.

Single stage Honda
Mobil 1 5w-30
ethanol free 90 octane a station down the street sells it for around a dollar more a gallon than regular E10

Mtd yardworks Tecumseh 8hp. Electric start died years ago. M1 5W30. I replaced the carb with an amazon Chinese carb with mixture screws. I just changed the auger belt. Still keeps on chugging away.
[Linked Image]

Two-stroke 5HP Craftsman that was built by Murray. It must be almost 25 years old by now and still works fine. I run Stihl 2-stroke oil at 50:1 ratio rather than the 40:1 printed on the gas cap, and Stabil Red added with each gallon of fuel. Only maintenance has been replacement of the auger fours years ago, which was when I discovered that Murray parts are identical and MUCH less expensive. The entire Murray auger assembly was cheaper than just the rubber paddles purchased as Craftsman Service Parts. Plus, I didn't need to spend hours grinding off the rivets holding the rubber paddles to the steel auger cage!

Typically starts on the first pull every Fall after spending 8 months in the back-yard shed.

Last edited:
Poulan Pro with 87 octane and 5w30 which came with our house. I'll be doing some minor maintenance on it this spring as I don't know the history. With the electric start it's been golden and clears well.

Ariens 24" Compact.

91 Octane currently.

Oil? Bought new in July 2018. Have only used 3 or 4 times. Less than 2 engine hours on currently factory fill. Oil looks new! ALWAYS starts on first pull.

My 15 year old Honda HS624 kicks butt. 75 meter driveway is no match for a tank of gas! Post break in (about four years) I filled it with Turbo Diesel Truck 5w-40 and been running that for several years

[Linked Image from hilineauto.com]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back