Valvoline Modern Engine vs Regular synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just picked up a clearance jug of Valvoline Modern Engine 5w20 and a few quarts of Shell Gas Truck 0w20... what the heck is the difference between "oil for 2012 vehicles or newer" or "Modern Truck/SUV" as compared to regular synthetic?? LOL so the gas truck oil is better in the 2v 4.6 in the F150 but not my Crown Vic....? If it isn't anything but a marketing gimmick, please school me.

I think most here would consider the Shell GT pure marketing. The VME probably is as well because it's hard to say how it helps with carbon buildup more than standard synthetics.

I also picked up a bunch of the VME on clearance at AZ.

It has lower SAPS levels than VAS, which is thought to reduce intake tract buildup in DI vehicles.

Downside, when compared to VAS, is higher levels of VMs, and higher Noack volatility. Also, with lower SAPS levels, all things being equal, wear protection will potentially not be as good.

If I had a choice, at the same price, I'd buy the VAS. Potential intake valve deposits are easier to deal with than the consequences of high VM and volatility (potential turbo coking, carbon buildup around piston rings). However, those issues shouldn't be a problem unless OCI is run out too long. Most here wouldn't suggest extended OCIs on GDI/TGDI engines. Personally, I stick with 5000-6000 mile OCIs on the fiancee's Civic with 1.5T (TGDI).

Originally Posted by john_pifer
Most here wouldn't suggest extended OCIs on GDI/TGDI engines. Personally, I stick with 5000-6000 mile OCIs on the fiancee's Civic with 1.5T (TGDI).

I agree with you. Though I'd shorten the OCIs for these engines to 3500 to 4K miles.

Originally Posted by SteveG4
Originally Posted by john_pifer
Most here wouldn't suggest extended OCIs on GDI/TGDI engines. Personally, I stick with 5000-6000 mile OCIs on the fiancee's Civic with 1.5T (TGDI).

I agree with you. Though I'd shorten the OCIs for these engines to 3500 to 4K miles.

I just started doing the maint. on the fiancée's Civic.

I went 6200 on the first OCI (Edge 0W-20). It was honestly because I let the miles get away from me.

I don't plan on going over 5000 miles from now on. Especially since I'm stocked up on M1-AP & VME clearance oil from Auto Zone that I got for $2/quart.

Originally Posted by PantherFan88
Just picked up a clearance jug of Valvoline Modern Engine 5w20 and a few quarts of Shell Gas Truck 0w20... what the heck is the difference between "oil for 2012 vehicles or newer" or "Modern Truck/SUV" as compared to regular synthetic?? LOL so the gas truck oil is better in the 2v 4.6 in the F150 but not my Crown Vic....? If it isn't anything but a marketing gimmick, please school me.

Hello fellow "panther brother" lol

Thanks to AZ clearance wave, I have been running Shell Rotella Gas/truck 5W20 in my '09 vic since December and she loves it !!!

Former PD was using Napa full syn 5W30 but @ 120K miles I feel that's bit to thick for our warm winter Dallas weather lol Maybe during hot summer months I might use 5W30 ???

Look at this video Project farm on youtube, He did a in depth test using Shell Rotella G/T VS Mobil 1 and also did a blackstone test on the used oil with VERY good results on the Shell Rotella

Dave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTyrc1zjKEA&t=

I spoke with someone from Valvoline today about Modern Engine. I asked him what specifically is in ME that makes it better for GDI engines and he said it has a specific detergent that when some of the oil gets passed the rings and comes in contact with the intake valves, it can clean them. FWIW. I think that is where the high price comes in.

Originally Posted by buster
I spoke with someone from Valvoline today about Modern Engine. I asked him what specifically is in ME that makes it better for GDI engines and he said it has a specific detergent that when some of the oil gets passed the rings and comes in contact with the intake valves, it can clean them. FWIW. I think that is where the high price comes in.

What specific detergent does Modern Engine have, that cleans better than other leading oils?
I would have asked Valvoline what specifically makes Modern Engine several dollars more per jug than Advanced. What separates the (2). I would have forwarded him Blackstone VOAs of both for comparisons.

I really like Advanced. I have prior replies of VOAs here where I show thumbs-up kudos with the analysis. I will have a UOA of it in 5w30 this summer.

^ good question. I don't have an answer and I don't even know if he knew.

VAS 5w20 has a nice low Noack and also little VII's. SA is .97.

I feel the same way about Valvoline Advanced Synthetic vs. Modern Engine as I do about Mobil 1 EP vs. AP.

I feel like VME and M1AP use gimmicky marketing to justify a higher price when in reality they are not much (if better at all) than the lower priced VAS and M1EP. Some people have a proclivity to convince themselves that a product is "better" by simple virtue of it having a higher price, in this case I have not seen evidence that has convinced me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

What specific detergent does Modern Engine have, that cleans better than other leading oils?
I would have asked Valvoline what specifically makes Modern Engine several dollars more per jug than Advanced. What separates the (2). I would have forwarded him Blackstone VOAs of both for comparisons.

I really like Advanced. I have prior replies of VOAs here where I show thumbs-up kudos with the analysis. I will have a UOA of it in 5w30 this summer.

Could be not necessarily a detergent, but a % of ester content.

This has been speculated here before, due to the fact that VME's add pack looks pretty run-of-the-mill.

Some actually know they use advanced base stocks and anti oxidation agents …

In my 2017 Ford Fusion 2.5 my oil level never drops below the full mark in my normal 10K OCI. There can't be even an ounce of oil passing the rings in this engine. I think his answer is less than honest.

Originally Posted by Ignatius
I feel the same way about Valvoline Advanced Synthetic vs. Modern Engine as I do about Mobil 1 EP vs. AP.

I feel like VME and M1AP use gimmicky marketing to justify a higher price when in reality they are not much (if better at all) than the lower priced VAS and M1EP. Some people have a proclivity to convince themselves that a product is "better" by simple virtue of it having a higher price, in this case I have not seen evidence that has convinced me.

Try using the 20K oil for 200-300K at 20K OCIs then make a decision. Since you have never used that oil how can you make an intelligent decision?

Originally Posted by tig1

Try using the 20K oil for 200-300K at 20K OCIs then make a decision. Since you have never used that oil how can you make an intelligent decision?

Seeing how VME and AP are the ones that go on clearance frequently, he's obviously not the only one that thinks they're gimmicky. That's a great comment for you to suggest that he try AP for 2-300k at 20k oci's. Maybe you should.

Originally Posted by madeej11

Seeing how VME and AP are the ones that go on clearance frequently, he's obviously not the only one that thinks they're gimmicky. That's a great comment for you to suggest that he try AP for 2-300k at 20k oci's. Maybe you should.

I have been doing 10K OCIs for 42 years so I won't change now. You see, I'm not the one challenging the 20 K M1 oil for lack of "evidence".

Originally Posted by madeej11

I have been doing 10K OCIs for 42 years so I won't change now. You see, I'm not the one challenging the 20 K M1 oil for lack of "evidence".

There is this great website I use called Bob is the Oil Guy in which you can research what other site users have posted, like oil analysis on oils such as M1AP that have been used for 20k mile intervals. After having done that research I am not convinced that paying extra for M1AP and VME is worth it, perhaps you should check out the research on that website too?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back