Generator Hour Meter

Status
Not open for further replies.
My toro zero turn mower has an hourmeter, soI decided to add a meter to my small generator. It only has about 7-8 hours on it. That way i won't for get how many are on it , and i can jot down hours and the oil change. I ran the wire around so its not on the muffler, used some gray double sided tape to attach. About $13 on amazon.

I also added a magnetic dipstick. I ran this about 10 minutes or so, and there was a bit of ferrous coating on it. Since there is no filter on this little 4375 until, I think its a good idea.

The only down side is the dipstick is aluminum, and will get hotter than the plastic dipstick. I generally check it before startup anyway. This unit has low oil shut down, so I don't see a problem, unless you forget and grab it hot!

IMG_20200216_142653883.jpg

IMG_20200216_142657166.jpg

IMG_20200216_142704195.jpg

IMG_20200216_143003567.jpg

IMG_20200216_143028532.jpg

IMG_20200216_142750107.jpg

Last edited:
I like it!
I'm a fan of magnetic drain plugs, and usually make my own out of those STRONG little magnets that i scrounge up from various things. Neodium? Never thought of putting one on a dipstick though.

Have you determined when you are going to change your oil based on the hour meter yet?

Honda has some pretty good recommendations regarding fuel storage for generators on their website, maybe they have some oil change suggestions as well.

Originally Posted by JohnG
I like it!

Have you determined when you are going to change your oil based on the hour meter yet?

Honda has some pretty good recommendations regarding fuel storage for generators on their website, maybe they have some oil change suggestions as well.

The manual says every 20hrs, but the predator 3500 with the same engine and similar oil capacity says 100hrs. The same engine sold as a stand alone engine states every 20, 100, 300 hrs. So something got lost in translation on the predator stand alone engine.

I'm running amsoil HDD 5w 30 in mine. I feel comfortable doing 50hrs. 100 might be fine with the high quality syn, but again there is no filter and the sump is 0.6 quarts, so i'll go 50hrs.

I bought a cheap hour meter from Ebay for my snowblower. Was less than $6 CDN. Worked so well I bought another one for the lawnmower that I will install this spring.

Is there a way to set the initial hours one one of these? In other words, if you have an enstimated 50 hours on a machine, is there a way to start from 50?

Originally Posted by Astro_Guy
Is there a way to set the initial hours one one of these? In other words, if you have an enstimated 50 hours on a machine, is there a way to start from 50?

I found some re settable ones, but not ones you could input some hours. My new little generator only has about 10 hours before adding the meter.

To increase hours, you could possibly install it on a push mower or car to speed up the hours. Not sure if the latter is possible though.

I've though about getting one for my Honda powered log splitter since I have no idea on the hours. The digital ones are nice, but they could literally fail at any given time and lose the hour count. Then again, with what they cost, it'd nearly pay for itself by preventing premature oil changes.

It'd help to keep an eye on it of course, but also in the event of a failure, you're back to square one in terms of catching it up to the actual hours.

Last edited:
That was the first thing I did to my Predator 5500/6500 also. I had to look twice I thought that was mine at first glance. Nice job!

I have one laying around in the tool box. Used it to check rpms of the freebie mowers I pick up to flip tho. Quick and easy way to check.

Originally Posted by dlundblad
To increase hours, you could possibly install it on a push mower or car to speed up the hours. Not sure if the latter is possible though.

I've though about getting one for my Honda powered log splitter since I have no idea on the hours. The digital ones are nice, but they could literally fail at any given time and lose the hour count. Then again, with what they cost, it'd nearly pay for itself by preventing premature oil changes.

It'd help to keep an eye on it of course, but also in the event of a failure, you're back to square one in terms of catching it up to the actual hours.

Yes you would lose original hours with mine. I was adding it to keep up with the hours on each oil change , so i don't for get.

Does anyone know if you can extend the wire, most of them seem to come with 43 inches which isn't enough the way I would want to mount it on a mower. I can't see any place on the engine or deck that would work due to all the bushes I mow around, I'm sure it wold get ripped off so I want to mount it up on the handle.

Originally Posted by Astro_Guy

Just hook a small 2amp charger to the leads. I did that for three days to approximate the 72 engine hours on my generator.

Originally Posted by Duffyjr
Does anyone know if you can extend the wire, most of them seem to come with 43 inches which isn't enough the way I would want to mount it on a mower. I can't see any place on the engine or deck that would work due to all the bushes I mow around, I'm sure it wold get ripped off so I want to mount it up on the handle.

Rather than extend it, which i think you probably could, i would approximate the gauge and buy a small roll or length of what you need.

Originally Posted by spasm3

Rather than extend it, which i think you probably could, i would approximate the gauge and buy a small roll or length of what you need.

It looks like some of them come with the wire attached to the meter and some don't so I'll get one that isn't attached and do as you suggest, thanks.

Originally Posted by spasm3

It looks like some of them come with the wire attached to the meter and some don't so I'll get one that isn't attached and do as you suggest, thanks.

Mine was separate. But i don't see why you could not add more wire , I'd solder and use heat shrink on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back