Removing mold from washing machine door seal

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a front load washer and the rubber ring door seal has mold on it. Where it is has turned that portion of the seal black. I have scrubbed it with a green scrubby pad and bleach, but the black doesn't come off. It appears to have permanently discolored the rubber. I'm wondering if scrubbing it with the bleach would have killed off the active part of the mold, the part that's bad for us, and the black that's still there is now just a harmless stain.

I have researched this topic and my layman opinion would be that the active mold is killed by the bleach; however, the mold spores could also be in other locations within the washer obscured from view. I have even removed the rubber door seals for cleaning.

Last edited:
Go to the appliance discount online stores and order one up. One or two of the big stores have videos on how to do it. You will just have to spend time finding the seller who does that video. It is an easy replacement.

The bleach killed all living mold, what you're seeing is harmless discoloration from the mold. Better question is, why is your seal molding?

It takes some time for the mold to get scrubbed off.

What I've done is run the washer on high heat with 1 cup of bleach thrown into the machine. Then I've taken wet rags that were soaking in bleach and put them around the rubber ring and let them stay there for a while to loosen stuff up.

You can also used powdered detergent and scrub the rubber to get it off. This should be done when the rubber gasket is wet.

Going forward make sure you leave the door open more than a crack to get that gasket dried out between uses.

Isn't borax a natural fungicide? (it's actually a detergent booster as well by softening the water, I believe).. If I'm right maybe adding some in a wash cycle every now and then might be worth a try. A box of 20 Mule isn't too expensive. But airing it out is probably the cheapest (free) tried and true approach to controlling it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
On a front loader you will greatly reduce this problem if after you empty the washer you leave the door open and let it dry out.

Amen ðŸ‘

Bleach isn't a "cleaner". Clean the soil with a detergent and scrub if you want, then apply bleach to kill any exposed bacteria, mold, etc. The bleach should remove the stain as well but might take a while.

There's tutorials online for removing the mold, etc.

For preventing mold, etc. I run a combination of baking soda in the drum of the washer with vinegar in the dispenser. Run this combo with hot water once a month.

I don't have any problems using this method. Leave the door open a crack after washing your clothes also.

49.gif

Originally Posted by user52165
Another reason to not buy a front load model.

That was my first thought. Never understood the appeal of front loading washers.

Originally Posted by RazorsEdge

For preventing mold, etc. I run a combination of baking soda in the drum of the washer with vinegar in the dispenser. Run this combo with hot water once a month.

I don't have any problems using this method. Leave the door open a crack after washing your clothes also.

49.gif

Baking soda and vinegar together, at the same time? Isn't baking soda a base and vinegar an acid?
crazy2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Originally Posted by RazorsEdge

49.gif

Baking soda and vinegar together, at the same time? Isn't baking soda a base and vinegar an acid?
crazy2.gif

Nope, look it up it's a common method that's safe and effective.

Originally Posted by xxch4osxx
Originally Posted by user52165
Another reason to not buy a front load model.

That was my first thought. Never understood the appeal of front loading washers.

Gentler on clothes.
Use less electricity and water.

top loaders are not sealed during or after use which allows moisture to evaporate. Just leave the lid open between uses and moisture drains/evaporates away. Unlike front loaders that have a seal that prevents water leakage during use but also prevents moisture release between uses. Gotta leave front end loaders cracked open and do a daily bleach swab of the gasket. Just another PITA.

First, check for recalls for your model front-loader. Some have been recalled for mold issues.

Second, bleach is not an approved fungicide because there are types of mold it does not kill.

Third and last, killing the mold does not address why the mold was there, so it'll be back until that problem is solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back