Leaking caliper/hose

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tried to install some SS brake lines. I must have crossed threaded a few rotations. I backed it out and threaded them correctly. But it leaks, doesn't make a full seal. It's at the connection where the SS brake line meets the caliper. So do I need a new caliper now? Thanks in advance.

Originally Posted by PhuongFU
Tried to install some SS brake lines. I must have crossed threaded a few rotations. I backed it out and threaded them correctly. But it leaks, doesn't make a full seal. It's at the connection where the SS brake line meets the caliper. So do I need a new caliper now? Thanks in advance.

How does it seal? Washers? Flare. Give us something to work with here.

It doesn't have washers or flare. Just a threaded end that goes inside the caliper. It doesn't screw flush either. It stops itself.

[Linked Image]

So normally it doesn't screw all the way end, it stops itself. Since it's cross threaded, I'm thinking maybe I should add a copper washer in there and screw it in all the way and crush the copper washer? I have nothing to lose at this point and if it doesn't work, I'll just get a used caliper off of eBay.

This is how it normally sits, about 2mm of space from sitting flush. Maybe put a copper washer in there in Drive it all the way down?

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by PhuongFU
So normally it doesn't screw all the way end, it stops itself. Since it's cross threaded, I'm thinking maybe I should add a copper washer in there and screw it in all the way and crush the copper washer? I have nothing to lose at this point and if it doesn't work, I'll just get a used caliper off of eBay.

Really the only thing you have to lose here with a potentially faulty brake system is your life.
This isn't the kind of thing to try to jury rig to get it to work.
We're talking brakes here.
The things that will slow you down from 75 miles an hour as you come up to the off ramp.
Until they don't.
Because you cross threaded a brake line.
And decided to just make it work.
With a washer.

Do you have a wife and kids???

Last edited:
Ebay bling does not belong on a brake system. There's nothing wrong with stock type black rubber hoses.

Those are made to seal with a tapered fit on the inside end. Do not try to seal the outside with a washer.

Originally Posted by mk378
Ebay bling does not belong on a brake system. There's nothing wrong with stock type black rubber hoses.

Those are made to seal with a tapered fit on the inside end. Do not try to seal the outside with a washer.

StopTech isn't eBay bling. They are a real performance brake manufacturer. I have had their lines on my 2014 Mustang for almost the whole time I have owned it.

Yeah it's replace time. Luckily I found a used set on eBay for 130 for both shipped. Better than paying 600 for new, or 1000 from the dealership each. Brakes ain't nothing to mess with.

Originally Posted by Chris142
If it does not use washers then it has a flare. Looks like the flare is on the outside of your line. Whats the inside of the caliper hole have down in there?

This.

Female on hose flare meets male flare in caliper. If one of the flares got nicked or something, fluid will leak past it. Or maybe the hose isn't threading in far enough. If you really did get it threaded in correctly, then see if you can turn it some more with a line wrench.

If it still leaks, check flares for abnormalities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back