2 years. Change or run it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Chris142
Like I said maybe 50 miles max on the oil.

Does time effect the oil filter in any way? Make the paper brittle?

No, the oil is NOT bad after 50 miles, even if it has been two years.

All of the guys saying "Change it!!!" can assuredly provide *ZERO* evidence whatsoever that the oil is no longer perfectly fine.

Oil filters do NOT go bad from age, or at all under "normal" use. I have some larger (4 cyl gas) OPE that still has the same oil filter for 10 years now.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
The 28oz ( less than a qt) has been in my GENERAC 5500 generator for 10 years

The 15W-40 (pretty sure it is/was Rotella) has been in my Farmall H oil pan for over 15 years. It gets used 1 good full hour in the spring, and again in the fall.

So, about 30 hours over 15 years.

The oil still looks excellent...
and this oil completely (even if worn out) is still better than any engine oil you could purchase new in 1943 when the tractor was built!!

Yeah my GENERAC likely has about 50 hours on it.

So if it was a car, that would be less than 2000 miles.

Do people learn anything about oil on this forum or do they just like to blab and argue?

Only thing you learn is opinions and half truths, nuff said.
lol.gif

Originally Posted by joekingcorvette
I would change the oil and filter. It's not worth the risk of prematurely wearing out the engine for a $20 bill.

Ridiculous. Nothing wrong with that oil. I go 3 years between changes on a seldomly used car, had oil analyzed several times and was told I could go further on the oil. I never start it unless I plan on driving it. I doubt a Can Am is any different. What will make the oil go bad is if he pulls it out of the garage monthly and idles it in the driveway for 45 minutes like many nubies do.

Last edited:
My caterpillar RV calls for a change every 2500 gallons of fuel. I calculated that to 22,500 miles. That took me 5 years to reach. I sent in a UOA of my mobil1 turbo diesel truck 5w-40 and it was fine for continued service in every way. good metals, low soot, plenty of TBN left.

I only did this because its pricey to change 13 gallons of oil and two huge oil filters. And the Caterpillar guys assured me it would be ok. they were right!

I leave the oil in my little pitbike scooter for many years or short runs. its fine. everyone saying "change it!" has no reason other than it helps their feels. there is no reason to change it based on my experience with UOA's on old oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back