Anyone used a torque wrench to fine tune leveling a washer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
First I will say if washer is not on a pedestal then basic leveling is enough.

But if on a pedestal then the leveling needs to be 2X as good.

Even though a washer may show being level using a level it still may be able to rock a little within the rubber of the rubber feet.

That is where I am experimenting using a small torque wrench to set each of the feet to the same torque.

Also considering new rubber feet as existing feet may have aged.

Anyone try this and have any luck?

GE front loader.

Interesting. I'm not sure it would work that way. You're leveling it because of the inconsistency of the floor itself, so one contact point might be higher than another.

Last edited:
Does the washer tend to vibrate a lot when it's spinning on high speed? What type of floor is the washer on?

My Kenmore front loader is on a pedestal, but I never used a torque wrench to level it. It's on the second story of the house on a tile floor.

You'd have to assume equal mass distribution to each of the 4 feet and that that would correlate to levelness . Not sure that is true. I'd trust the level.

The feet on most appliances are typically just threaded rod going through sheet metal. How many actually go into a threaded block of metal ? You're also presuming (wrongly) that equally tightened feet will be level. They won't unless it's by sheer coincidence.

To do this right you'd need four identical floor scales so you can see what weight is on each foot-- assuming the guts of the machine are evenly distributed!

Creative thinking.
thumbsup2.gif
It would be possible to show level but the weight is on 2 diagonal feet and barely on the other 2. It may be impossible to get the values equal if the weight is distributed unevenly front to back or side to side as noted.

I think it's a solid idea, but going a little too far with the torque wrench.

You should be able to feel the load on the legs as you tighten them down. Just try to make them even and you should be good to go.

Rock it a little by hand if you need to be reassured, then tighten to feel.

Most machines don't need to be that level, but these new front loaders can really be a mess.

Originally Posted by PimTac
I don't understand how torque can affect leveling.
OP is talking about preloading the rubber feet consistently by torquing them to the same figure:
Originally Posted by Donald
Even though a washer may show being level using a level it still may be able to rock a little within the rubber of the rubber feet.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
Interesting. I'm not sure it would work that way. You're leveling it because of the inconsistency of the floor itself, so one contact point might be higher than another.

I want each of the feet to be pressing against the floor with same force. Want to set that with small torgue wrench.

Originally Posted by JC1
Does the washer tend to vibrate a lot when it's spinning on high speed? What type of floor is the washer on?

My Kenmore front loader is on a pedestal, but I never used a torque wrench to level it. It's on the second story of the house on a tile floor.

It's on a ceramic tile floor on first floor. Three bath towels will make it vibrate. Six and it vibrates less.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
The feet on most appliances are typically just threaded rod going through sheet metal. How many actually go into a threaded block of metal ? You're also presuming (wrongly) that equally tightened feet will be level. They won't unless it's by sheer coincidence.

The plan is to carefully level it then fine tune that by making sure all the feet are pressing down with same force.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Originally Posted by PimTac
I don't understand how torque can affect leveling.
OP is talking about preloading the rubber feet consistently by torquing them to the same figure:

Yes. Exactly.

Originally Posted by JohnG
I think it's a solid idea, but going a little too far with the torque wrench.

You should be able to feel the load on the legs as you tighten them down. Just try to make them even and you should be good to go.

Rock it a little by hand if you need to be reassured, then tighten to feel.

Most machines don't need to be that level, but these new front loaders can really be a mess.

But I got a new in-lbs torque wrench I have not used yet!

Washers etc are heavier on one side. Have moved enough appliances to remember this. Adjust to make the feet touch firmly and level the cabinet according to the instructions.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson

The plan is to carefully level it then fine tune that by making sure all the feet are pressing down with same force.

I suspect no one has ever tried this so give it a shot and see how it turns out ! Post plenty of details too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back