Michelin Crossclimate+

Hey folks,

I was looking at Tire Rack for some Michelin Crossclimate+ 205/60/16 V rated to fit on my 2018 Mazda 3.

From the ratings on Tire Rack, those Michelin blows everything else out of the water, extremely highly rated, high performance in basically every aspect.

Now since its a real 4 seasons winter rated tire, is it as quiet as a top rated grand touring tire? and will it hurt my fuel economy?

Feel free to share your inputs.

Thanks!

Last edited:
AH!!! a new name for all season BUT winter tyres. if they are truely better in cold winter conditions that would be great, + even thou technology never sleeps i suspect compromises somewhere + being michelin they WILL be overpriced

Last edited:
The TR testing notes a noticeable low speed tread growl and on the firm side for a GT tire. Having a 2012 Mazda3, the suspension is on the sporty side which I like but then tends to transmit NVH. So I avoided the Crossclimate and got Conti pure contact LS instead. The vredestein Quadrac pro would be higher on my list but weren't on the market last year.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by benjy
AH!!! a new name for all season BUT winter tyres. if they are truely better in cold winter conditions that would be great, + even thou technology never sleeps i suspect compromises somewhere + being michelin they WILL be overpriced

In my experience, Michelins perform much better at the mid and end point of their lifespan, and the treadwear is always better than like tires. Value is more than just purchase price...

https://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2019-Auto-Bild-All-Season-Tyre-Test.htm

That's a pretty good comparison of tires in that category. I just got the Quatrac Pro's and I'm using those as my winter tires (most of my winter driving is cold rain, with some occasional trips to snow). Even though the purchase price is less, I have no doubt the Michelins are a better value. I went with the Vredesteins based on wet performance and noise ratings.

The Crossclimate+ has two downsides: 1) Pricey and 2) Limited # of sizes. They are the best touring all-seasons you can buy, especially if you live in areas with snow and ice and don't want to use snow tires.

I believe this review was done last fall,

[Linked Image]

The CrossClimate actually has the 3-peak sign :)

its been said (i forget where)
that unlike most all-weather tires that start with a winter tire and make it work all year..
these started more as a summer tire that was tweaked to work in winter.

They are pretty far out there. I'd be interested in road noise on various surfaces.. and how they handle the
grooved roads (where they cut grooves in road in direction of travel)

The oem tires on the hyundai are horrid on those.. you go back and forth with the road grooves almost whiplash bad.. without turning the wheel at all.

edit: so if you watch the video he mentions it in there too.(summer tire that works in winter vs a winter tire that works in summer)

CrossClimate 2 as mentioned is out soon too, I'd love to try a set of either, wonder when they will hit Canada?

I know this style tread doesn't always wear the best unless rotated a lot.

The reason they are pushing so soon CrossClimate 2 is that original one was developed strictly for Mercedes use. After it turned out to be extremely successful, they offered it in numerous other sizes.
I think they are trying to improve on existing tire and make it more functional for other vehicles. There are probably some things in Gen1 that limits performance in other models due to specificity of tire to MB.

its been said (i forget where)
that unlike most all-weather tires that start with a winter tire and make it work all year..
these started more as a summer tire that was tweaked to work in winter.

They are pretty far out there. I'd be interested in road noise on various surfaces.. and how they handle the
grooved roads (where they cut grooves in road in direction of travel)

The oem tires on the hyundai are horrid on those.. you go back and forth with the road grooves almost whiplash bad.. without turning the wheel at all.

edit: so if you watch the video he mentions it in there too.(summer tire that works in winter vs a winter tire that works in summer)

I use crossclimates (still the originals after 5 years) for winter duty. They are by and large insensitive to ruts and grooves, on my car. The summer tyres follow the grooves much more.

One more winter at least in them.

The original crossclimates had better wet traction than the +, but the + wears better. I can see the crosclimate 2 has longer siping by zigzagging, and small cutouts to improve winter weather performance..

I just scored 4x contiwintercontact 860 for 90 euro but otherwise I'd have gotten crossclimates again.

The reason they are pushing so soon CrossClimate 2 is that original one was developed strictly for Mercedes use. After it turned out to be extremely successful, they offered it in numerous other sizes.
I think they are trying to improve on existing tire and make it more functional for other vehicles. There are probably some things in Gen1 that limits performance in other models due to specificity of tire to MB.

I thought they already did that with the Crossclimate+ vs non-plus

They sacrificed some wet traction in the plus to gain a longer lasting and more consistent tyre. Slightly different compound I guess.

According to Michelin, the original barely had an A-rating (eu tyre labels) for wet traction, the plus just barely missed the A-rating.

If you aren't sure what winter weather you will get, the crossclimate is perfect. Mine have seen less than 2 weeks of snow in their life, but the winters before each had a couple of weeks of snow. But they handle damp and cold like a king and we had a lot of that!

i think this was the original CC

crossclimate plus

above 15 degrees C I prefer a UHP summer tyre, i thiunk that's about 60 degrees F.

Back