Craftsman 4 ton floor jack

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Craftsman floor jack will not release the pressure to lower? I've investigated the internal parts looking for o-rings to replace? There are none. Yet? With most of the internal parts removed I still have to jump on the lift plate to get it to reluctantly go down?

I'm at a loss where to go from here? I've included pictures to help tell the story. The ATF was used to try to flush the system out? With no results.

thumbnail-7.jpeg

thumbnail-11.jpeg

thumbnail-10.jpeg

With how dirty that jack is from leaking fluid and the fact you don't know how to fix it properly, take it to someone who can or throw it out.

Welcome to our asylum mirvingm from Chassel, MI. I spent a bit of time up there while at MTU and have some fond memories of Baraga, Lanse, and Alberta.

I would join up at Garagejournal.com tool threads and seek out the wisdom of a respected gentleman there that goes by the name of Hiball. He rebuilds jacks for a living.

Stay warm!

One of two things. Either a mechanical binding or the hydraulic valve is not allowing fluid to drain back. And I don't agree it needs to go in the trash pile. It does however probably need new seals with all the leaking that looks going on.

Last edited:
Nice links in thread. You may have a USA made Walker jack. Worth fixing. May be a clogged bleeder circuit. Holding steady is better than coming down. Something like this new is probably over $500 and it's only assembled inUSA with some USA parts and some fromChina.

Friend went to automotive school.
A friend of his had a Dad who worked in a bus garage.
The Dad alerted the guys that there was a BIG (10 ton?) floor jack in need of repair.
Friend rebuilt it and welded cracks in the body.
He said, "Don't paint it. Let people see that it's repaired".

Soon thereafter the jack was painted and back in service.

It really twisted my friend up. He wanted to hit an alarm but......

Probably bound up mechanically from lack of maintenance over ?? years. Start with the two main pivot points shown in #3 photo. Too nice of jack to throw away. You can't purchase a jack like that today without spending big bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back