Question for those of you who have an Apple TV

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have one that is about 2 years old. It's one of the first versions that had the mic in the remote. The issue I'm having with it is when I turn it on and click on an app to open it, I get the spinny thing in the middle of the screen and it either just keeps doing that, or it times out with a message like "something's gone wrong, can't connect now, try again later", or it says "can't connect the internet right now." Sometimes it just locks up and won't respond to any voice commands, or inputs with the remote. The only way to clear it is to unplug the Apple TV power cord for 10 seconds, then reconnect it. Doing this always clears it. I am now having to do this every time I turn it on. Have any of you had, or seen this problem? Is there any way to resolve it?

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Have you tried resetting it to factory settings and starting over?

This.

Originally Posted by pkunk
When was the last time you charged the remote?

2-3 weeks ago. Was the first time I had to charge it since we've had it...

I did the reset on the ATV, and now it won't accept my router password. Can't get in at all, and I KNOW I'm putting in the correct password. I even connected it to the router via an Ethernet/LAN cable, but it's still asking for my router password. I am dead in the water until I can figure out how to get into my router...

It is asking for the WIFi password, not the router password and if you connected it via Ethernet it shouldn't be asking for any password to connect to the network. It will also ask for Apple ID and password, nothing to do with router though

Originally Posted by grampi
I did the reset on the ATV, and now it won't accept my router password. Can't get in at all, and I KNOW I'm putting in the correct password.
Do you mean your "wifi" password?

Are you sure the ATV is trying to connect to your own wifi and not to someone else's wifi nearby? Do you see the SSID of the wifi network it is trying to connect to?

I even connected it to the router via an Ethernet/LAN cable, but it's still asking for my router password.

I would try doing another factory reset while leaving the LAN cable connected to ATV.

AppleTV is a lot easier to use with a wireless keyboard. There are lots of keyboard commands, and the remote is pretty sensitive.

Apple TV 2? I despise our 4k.. breath on the remote it fast forwards or who knows what.. and then it starts locking up at least once a week... other times no video at all. Have to reboot it on a weekly basis. I've tried everything, our original Apple TV was fairly decent and still works. Eventually will be replaced with a Roku.

I got everything working except for the voice control on the remote isn't working. Is there some way to pair the remote with the main device? I've looked through all of the menus and couldn't find anything...I can see why old people don't like new technology...
shocked2.gif

Last edited:
I think voice control is just Siri.

I despise those remote controls. Always confusing whether it's upside down without looking. It's form over function.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Is Siri on?

Main screen. Settings>General.

I will check that setting. Thanks.

Originally Posted by pkunk
Voice control-HOLD the mic button while you speak. If you let up on it it no worky.

Duh...

Originally Posted by Alfred_B
I think voice control is just Siri.

I despise those remote controls. Always confusing whether it's upside down without looking. It's form over function.

I just use the app on my iPhone, way easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back