Add "like" option for BITOG posts like facebook

Status
Not open for further replies.
Adding "like" options to posts like facebook would reduce some redundant posts saying the same thing over and over. Once the threads get over 2 pages long they are fairly useless to people looking for information since no one is going to read all of those posts to get a consensus.

Originally Posted by PowerSurge
How do you know no one is going to read past two pages? Some people have longer attention spans than others.

True but with natural thread drift after 2 pages you might not remember what the original subject was. No opinion on a like button, don't know what it does.

Similarly, many people won't read all the posts to like the ones you think they should.
wink.gif

Let's not try to make anything more like Facebook. You can start your own facebook oil group for that.

I think the OP is projecting his own opinion to the rest of the message board.
How does the OP know what others are going to do or what they prefer?
I also agree that OP can start a Facebook oil group if he wants those functionalities.

This idea get a 'dislike'.

"Like" is just saying "I agree" or "well said". To be unique I think "agree" could be used instead of like. No option for disagree because that would start arguments.

many other groups do this and it cuts down on the "yeah me too" posts.

Edit:
Just saw the posted link above.... I do and don't agree. but it makes not difference to me. I was just suggesting what I see working on other boards.

Last edited:
If you had to come up with just one main reason why social media is so toxic and destructive, the "like" button would be an easy candidate.

Sadly, we've already chased off so many of the real experts that I'm not sure what we have to lose at this point.

Either way, I'm also a "no" on this.

Originally Posted by danez_yoda
Adding "like" options to posts like facebook would reduce some redundant posts saying the same thing over and over. Once the threads get over 2 pages long they are fairly useless to people looking for information since no one is going to read all of those posts to get a consensus.

People read the posts for information, not so they can rate them. Facebook forums are about cliques and popularity for insecure people needing validation from strangers. Only way I would add a "LIKE" button was if they also added a "HATE" button as well.

I don't care for the "Like" options myself but whatever the forum decides is good with me.

What's Facebook?

Last edited:
I see multiple posts that think a "like" option is something that only exists in Facebook. Might be shocking, but the internet consists of more than Facebook and this website.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
I think Dave9 captured the pitfalls quite well in this earlier post:

Oh, the irony.... "newbs" that repeat false info ? Members here repeat false info, wait, I mean, their opinion, every day. Others see it posted so often they believe it's fact and then they start repeating it.

As long as there is a dislike button also go for it.

Edit: Forget that idea someones feeling may be hurt and we cant have that in this day and age, no safe zones.

Last edited:
4wd. that was my intent. I messed up and saif the F word and everyone got the panties in a wad.

it was JUST a suggestion that it looks like no one wants.

Mods feel free to lock or delete this thread,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back