Oil Filter for high mileage Coyote

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2012 F150, with the 5.0 coyote, with 213k miles on the clock. I have a bit, yet, till I need to change my oil, but wanted to look into maybe getting a better filter, for my next change. Currently been using supertech filters. What would you recommend?

Supertech is fine. Fram Ultra if you want "the best." Mobil1 if you want a sturdy can.

It doesn't really matter. Which logo and color do you like better?

Originally Posted by logain
I have a 2012 F150, with the 5.0 coyote, with 213k miles on the clock. I have a bit, yet, till I need to change my oil, but wanted to look into maybe getting a better filter, for my next change. Currently been using supertech filters. What would you recommend?

You made it over 200k doing what you did and it worked. I'm waiting for people to ask you advice instead. Nice job. Only go Fram Ultra or M1 if your planning a much longer interval.

The FL500s filters seem to hold up much better than the FL820s...I think the 500s is what's used on the 5.0. Otherwise, a Fram TG or Ultra

WIX, Hastings, Fram Ultra, OE.
MOST IMPORTANTLY:
Helical threaded fastener that extended drain stuff.

Yes, yes....if you can afford tests to affirm your old oil is still good then extend all you like.....for the rest of us, keep it clean.

I cant speak for the FL500S. But after having two FL820S filter failures in 10 years, I switched to Wix. This is for my 330,000 mile 4.6 F-150.

Originally Posted by TXCarGeek
The FL500s filters seem to hold up much better than the FL820s...I think the 500s is what's used on the 5.0. Otherwise, a Fram TG or Ultra

+1

Originally Posted by Michael_P
I cant speak for the FL500S. But after having two FL820S filter failures in 10 years, I switched to Wix. This is for my 330,000 mile 4.6 F-150.

The 820s seem to be the dud of MC filters. However I have used the 910s for many years and haven't seen a failure yet. The same with the FL 2017 b cartridge.

I really like the ST filters. Solid 10k filters and cheaper than the ultra. The nitrile rubber seems to do an excellent job on "extended" OCI's too. Still pliable at the end of it's service life. No reason to change IMO as it's a solid design and used for AC Delco filters.

Since this is the oil filter forum, I'll spare you all the grief, but I'd probably start running a HM oil at this mileage. See my Bar's Stop leak success story thread for more details.

Originally Posted by dlundblad
I really like the ST filters. Solid 10k filters and cheaper than the ultra. The nitrile rubber seems to do an excellent job on "extended" OCI's too. Still pliable at the end of it's service life. No reason to change IMO as it's a solid design and used for AC Delco filters.

Since this is the oil filter forum, I'll spare you all the grief, but I'd probably start running a HM oil at this mileage. See my Bar's Stop leak success story thread for more details.

I would use the revised Fram orange can before using the latest version STech's.

Originally Posted by Lubener

I would use the revised Fram orange can before using the latest version STech's.

Both are fine filters, but what causes you to come to this conclusion?

I would argue the ST will come out less wavy, but aside from that I can't see a reason to use one vs the other.

Originally Posted by Lubener

Both are fine filters, but what causes you to come to this conclusion?

I would argue the ST will come out less wavy, but aside from that I can't see a reason to use one vs the other.

STech uses e-core which I would never use and silicon ADBV for Fram are my reasons for choosing the orange can. I have never had a nitrile ADBV not stiffen up after 5-6k miles of use. I also am not convinced that one or the other is less wavy.

Last edited:
I am now using Havoline High Mileage in the smart change box. I went with the Motorcraft filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back