Cat is getting a stern talking to...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Storm, the cat has been told and told that her position in the house is on the proviso that she takes care of certain business.

And she's let the side down somewhat, as when I took the bins out, I took the first one, came back for the second, and realised I'djust stepped over this beastie...bare feet and all...

[Linked Image]

Was a little shaky as I photoed it...but was about 2-1/2" long.

And yes...that IS what it is...

Last edited:
Humans...only primates are affected by funnelwebs...that's why I keep cats in this district...

Couple years ago I was taking a lil "Cat" nap, I felt something like it was crawling up my forearm, a little spider, not a Tarantula! and the next thing I felt before I could smash it with my hand, I felt my cat "Patches" tongue right on the very spot where I felt what I figured was a spider. Her tongue feels like 80 grit and whatever was on my forearm was gone.

"Good Kitty"

I heard that funnel webs are moving into towns because of the fires.

We only have one spider that is venomous, the Katipo, no recorded deaths since 1901, so not really a threat. And one really big spider, the brown Huntsman, an Aussie import. It's very localised and called the Avondale Spider because of the suburb it is found in. One of my daughter's was living on the border of that suburb until last year - last night she was telling us she refused to use the bathroom when she saw one. She has a spider phobia so was not happy....said there was no point using the flyswatter, because it was bigger than the swatter.

Yeah, the fires and intense rain have driven the funnelwebs towards houses...thus the one in the yard.

Your katipo is like our redback and the black widow...I could easily find a dozen on my block if I went looking for them...been bitten once, wasn't the most comfortable thing in the world.

Nothing worse than dropping the sun visor and having a huntsman that weighs (well feels like it does) two pounds drop onto your lap.....have been known to cause car crashes...

Originally Posted by Bobaloo22
There goes my vacation plans, no 'stralia for me.

Hey, I got to 52 so far, bare footed most of the way...safe as the stockmarket...

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Are these venomous?

Australia duh!!! , everything is big and venomous or will eat you , that is why Aussies are so tough..

Glad to hear you're okay Shannow. Not only because of this incident but also the wildfires.

Last edited:
Humankind really has taken every habitable acre on the planet, and then some.

This is why I really don't mind when we have -20F temperatures!

I had a big spider run across the floor after getting out of the shower. I didn't have anything to kill it with. The dog and two of the cats were just watching.
I pointed at it "You can have it!" to the dog ... nothing. "You can have it!!!" , no luck second time. But on the third time, the dog grabbed it and gulped it up! Good dog!

Originally Posted by CT8
Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Are these venomous?

Australia duh!!! , everything is big and venomous or will eat you , that is why Aussies are so tough..

+20

Years ago I came to grips with this.

"You're not a sissy for wearing slippers".

However, with critters like those walking about, I'm wearing galoshes!

Seriously, the BEST was going to wash my face in a stream in So. Australia and next to the stream was a sign depicting an alligator (or crocodile?) with his jaws around someone's head.

Beside the person was a toothbrush and washcloth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back