Pocket Carry Ruger LCP 380

Status
Not open for further replies.
Driz, when you speak of the "New LCP" are you referring to the LCP ll?

LCP ll has the trigger safety (ala Glock) and last round hold open for mag changes. Much better design than the LCP l. Better grip design too. Only issue I have is the slide release. It's rather stiff, but it may break in over time.

Originally Posted by Driz
Originally Posted by MGF1964
I've got both the LCP and a S&W 642.
Your mileage may vary, but IMO J frames just don't pocket carry as easily as small .380s.
Granted, they do pack more cartridge and granted they are almost certainly "5 for sure."
But also true: More felt recoil from an airweight .38 than from a .380.
Each type has its advantages, IMO ... it's a matter of which aspects matter most to the user.

Me too. The 642 is a fun shooter but let's face it unless you're wearing seriously baggy pants or a suit it's a tad FAT. Sorry there's no better description. It's just a tad too wide for a typical pocket. Guys tend to forget all the other 💩 they gotta carry. Add a wallet , your CC permit snd a decent sized smart phone your likely to start looking like ol a Droopy Drawers.. while Matthew Mc Conathy can get away with a 🙅ðŸ»â€â™‚ï¸Man purse . No way AINT Gonna happen me!
What I like about the LCP is what everyone else hates, THE TRIGGER. It ain't goin nowhere by accident which I consider paramount for s CCW whose intended range is 20-30' . It's still just fine for its minute of bad guy accuracy as intended. That heavy trigger lets you confidently carry one in the chamber just like a trusty safe revolver and let's face it with a 380 you really want all 7 and they better be good ones, Critical Defense ( my carry) or similar. As well as an extra mag. Best news is that fits nicely in nearly any pocket in a Desantis pocket holster and prints just like my cell phone. No big print no droopy drawers even when I'm wandering about in cargo shorts.
It's one vise is the recoil which easily matches the old 45 1911 I carried in the army. I don't use one but a cheap rubber grip cover is said to help. No matter what 50 is plenty for a range day , no chasing the far.........really far AND wide tiny cases either. They hide worse than any case I've ever seen🤨. Also they are expensive to buy which is why I reload mine.
The 642 is fun to shoot but like any J Frame it can be a beast to reload in a hurry. The cases even try to stick when ejected which is simply the nature of the beast. A speed loader of course has to be naturally fat so ...’. Nice enough in all but I'll take 7 lesser rounds and quick reload to 5 bigger rounds.
FYI. I got a chance to compare my LCP CUSTOM broken in to a new LCP. I. Found the cheaper LCP trigger to be every bit as good as mine. The sights aren't as good bring lower but they aren't snag prone as with the Custom. You can get one Under $200 almost any time with pretty much constant internet sales.

You and me are in spot-on agreement re the LCP in general and the trigger in particular. I like the firm break for a pocket pistol. And if you can run the gun and really want to, you can get some time in with it and ring plates at 15 yards with no problem with a little bit of work. All I've done to mine is added the Talon grip tapes and painted the front sight hot pink. I also use the plus mag in it for a little better finger purchase. Been carrying mine so long it's no looker, but still runs just fine.
And, yep, there's a lot I really like about the 642, and danged if I don't like having a handful of revolvers in the safe. But the 642 is not a pocket rocket for me. In a good OWB leather holster or good kydex IWB, not bad at all. That said, Once I go to a holster for wear on the belt, I'm just as likely as to put on my 9mm Shield. Still, wore the 642 today in an OWB with an untucked flannel. WTH, I was feeling old school.
Not getting rid of any of 'em.
smile.gif

I own the following carry guns:

LCP (old first edition)
Smith 642
Smith 340SC
Glock 42
Glock 43
Glock 26
Taurus 856 (6 shot snub nose)
NAA Mini Revolver .22 magnum

A semi auto will get you killed. Let me repeat that. A semi auto will get you killed. You cant just hand one to a person, and call them proficient. If the wife will never practice with one, will not take the time to learn the platform, to learn the proper grip, how not to limp wrist it, how to clear jams, then a revolver is likely a better, safer option.

ANYONE that carries or uses a semi auto should absolutely have at least a 2 day combat pistol class under their belt. My opinion. Based on the absolute nonsense I see on the gun range every time I go.

You know your wife. Is she going to train? Will she become proficient? Will she take a pistol class? How is her hand strength?

My wifes purse gun? The 6 shot Taurus snub nose model 856. She shoots "enough" to be competent with it. She doesn't shoot enough to be competent with a semi-auto. She prefers it over the LCP, which she absolutely hated.

I wouldn't discount the NAA mini revolver. Its a gun that can actually be carried by anyone, any day, easily. And 22 magnum gold dots are pretty potent and will send an attacker scurrying.

i had a LCP and tried pocket carry. i could not get over the paranoia of having it drop out of my pocket and loosing it and someone finding it. So i sold it. went to a MP shield with an IWB holster.

an MP shield is not that much bigger than an LCP and carries 9mm love .

The Beretta Pico I mentioned earlier in this thread started with borrowing it from a friend at a gun range.
The very next day I gave my LCP to my daughter and went to the gun store and bought the Beretta Pico. Same size - same trust that every round fires - same accuracy and better grip-hold (higher axis) - thus more manageable when fired.

Easy decision and my daughter's happy she got a C.C. pistol for free.

Originally Posted by bubbatime
I own the following carry guns:

LCP (old first edition)
Smith 642
Smith 340SC
Glock 42
Glock 43
Glock 26
Taurus 856 (6 shot snub nose)
NAA Mini Revolver .22 magnum

A semi auto will get you killed. Let me repeat that. A semi auto will get you killed. You cant just hand one to a person, and call them proficient. If the wife will never practice with one, will not take the time to learn the platform, to learn the proper grip, how not to limp wrist it, how to clear jams, then a revolver is likely a better, safer option.

ANYONE that carries or uses a semi auto should absolutely have at least a 2 day combat pistol class under their belt. My opinion. Based on the absolute nonsense I see on the gun range every time I go.

You know your wife. Is she going to train? Will she become proficient? Will she take a pistol class? How is her hand strength?

My wifes purse gun? The 6 shot Taurus snub nose model 856. She shoots "enough" to be competent with it. She doesn't shoot enough to be competent with a semi-auto. She prefers it over the LCP, which she absolutely hated.

I wouldn't discount the NAA mini revolver. Its a gun that can actually be carried by anyone, any day, easily. And 22 magnum gold dots are pretty potent and will send an attacker scurrying.

I'd argue the untrained, the unpracticed and the unwilling would get themselves killed. The choice of a gun they don't know how or when to use is a detail.
I'd also be a little reluctant to suggest a miniature, single-action revolver for any but gun people.
To each his own.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JohnG
Driz, when you speak of the "New LCP" are you referring to the LCP ll?

LCP ll has the trigger safety (ala Glock) and last round hold open for mag changes. Much better design than the LCP l. Better grip design too. Only issue I have is the slide release. It's rather stiff, but it may break in over time.

I was referring to the later editions of theLCP1 from the last couple years.. I haven't handled any of the early ones from way back but have a couple friends one with the LCP2 and another with a 6 month oldLCP1. Several reviews from around 2009 said the trigger in the original was gritty and just plain awful. I don't notice any difference between my Custom with the ugly red wider trigger and his. They both shoot great.
For me about the only thing I like about the 2 is the slide lock. I'm just not a striker guy when it comes to something in a pocket holster. Just me ect I guess. But for under 25' the heavy trigger doesn't much matter accuracy wise and I appreciate the nice DA revolver pull of that trigger.

Originally Posted by Driz
For me about the only thing I like about the 2 is the slide lock. I'm just not a striker guy when it comes to something in a pocket holster. Just me ect I guess. But for under 25' the heavy trigger doesn't much matter accuracy wise and I appreciate the nice DA revolver pull of that trigger.

Just FYI, the LCP II is hammer fired, not striker fired.

Originally Posted by Gebo
I already have 2 of the Ruger LCP so I'm sorta locked in on those for me. It is snappy and loud.

Maybe I should look at a revolver for my wife. Gun show in Salem tomorrow. We'll make a visit. May go to shooting range afterwards.

My son is selling his Ruger 380 as he bumped up to a SW 45. That's why I have 2 of them.

The all metal Beretta Tomcat is a pleasant mouse gun to shoot, has a tip up barrel so racking is optional, and is accurate and reliable. Beretta's come and go, and I don't know if they are making new Tomcats at this time.

All of the women I know, that carry, invariably carry a Sig 238 or the actual Colt predecessor to the Sig. I sometimes carry a Ruger LCR .38 Spl. It is very unpleasant to shoot. I can't imagine that too many women will want to shoot a polymer snubby, and I doubt a metal snubby would be much better.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Win
I already have 2 of the Ruger LCP so I'm sorta locked in on those for me. It is snappy and loud.

Maybe I should look at a revolver for my wife. Gun show in Salem tomorrow. We'll make a visit. May go to shooting range afterwards.

My son is selling his Ruger 380 as he bumped up to a SW 45. That's why I have 2 of them.

The all metal Beretta Tomcat is a pleasant mouse gun to shoot, has a tip up barrel so racking is optional, and is accurate and reliable. Beretta's come and go, and I don't know if they are making new Tomcats at this time.

All of the women I know, that carry, invariably carry a Sig 238 or the actual Colt predecessor to the Sig. I sometimes carry a Ruger LCR .38 Spl. It is very unpleasant to shoot. I can't imagine that too many women will want to shoot a polymer snubby, and I doubt a metal snubby would be much better.

I think Beretta is still making the Inox (alloy, w/stainless finish) version of the Tomcat.
I kind of want one, though I already have the Beretta 21A (Bobcat), an LCP, a S&W 642 and a Shield. The "wants" ... they never go away, I guess.

I've pocket carried my Shield in 9mm for years. Looking into switching to a SIG P365 though.

For purse carry it's tough to beat an LCP or LC9.

Originally Posted by MGF1964
Originally Posted by Win

I think Beretta is still making the Inox (alloy, w/stainless finish) version of the Tomcat.
I kind of want one, though I already have the Beretta 21A (Bobcat), an LCP, a S&W 642 and a Shield. The "wants" ... they never go away, I guess.

Well, I no longer "want" a Tomcat. Bought one at lunchtime, the Inox model.
While I feel all warm and fuzzy, the checkbook is a tad lighter.
Whose turn was it to watch me today?

despite my penchant for rimfires and revolvers, ive been looking too for a pocketable centerfire semiauto pistol. keltec p32 was mentioned here. i lucked onto one new at $180, added a hogue grip sleeve and put 200 hiccup-free fmj ball rounds through it. excellent. also stumbled onto a new taurus spectrum 380acp in an odd color for just $125 delivered. added a hogue beavertail grip and shot 400 various fmj ball rounds, it didn't like brazilian made magtech only. very good to excellent.

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
For simplicity and reliability , it is hard to beat a wheel gun . If I were to buy a pocket carry , I would seriously consider a .38 Special / .357 Magnum revolver . If the .357 recoil is too much for you , you can always use .38 Special ammo .

I would rather have either than .380 ACP caliber .

A few wheel guns are also available in 9 x 19 mm , which would be more power than .380 , but I would still opt for .38/.357 .

I split my loyalties & use both a ruger lcp & s&w .38 snub nose revolver for pocket carry; I use either Blackhawk or Uncle Mike's soft side synthetic holsters; I offer the following link as a reference for ammo selection for micro .380's tested by ShootingtheBull410 on youtube...

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgNSGOEQko_MjOCGyqlMTiM2njdQQRbdg

Originally Posted by kmrcstintn
Originally Posted by WyrTwister
For simplicity and reliability , it is hard to beat a wheel gun . If I were to buy a pocket carry , I would seriously consider a .38 Special / .357 Magnum revolver . If the .357 recoil is too much for you , you can always use .38 Special ammo .

I would rather have either than .380 ACP caliber .

A few wheel guns are also available in 9 x 19 mm , which would be more power than .380 , but I would still opt for .38/.357 .

I split my loyalties & use both a ruger lcp & s&w .38 snub nose revolver for pocket carry; I use either Blackhawk or Uncle Mike's soft side synthetic holsters; I offer the following link as a reference for ammo selection for micro .380's tested by ShootingtheBull410 on youtube...

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgNSGOEQko_MjOCGyqlMTiM2njdQQRbdg

The "Shooting the Bull" wrap-up was very well done. Saw it a few years ago.
I keep the XTP loadings by Precision One and Hornady in my .380 stock and usually also have both the Hydra Shoks and Hornady's "American Gunner" version of the XTP, too. Have never been able to find the Fiocchi Extrema when I was buying.
Target Sport USA usually has what I want, though, including the XTP .380 loadings.

The shooting the bull series, all of it, is garbage science. Garbage in, garbage out, laugh out loud results.

It's too bad that so many quote his nonsense. And take his results as gospel.

The shooting the bull series, all of it, is garbage science. Garbage in, garbage out, laugh out loud results.

It's too bad that so many quote his nonsense. And take his results as gospel.

OK, enlighten us as to why it's garbage science.
Are the Luckygunner ones also garbage science?

Shooting the bull does not account for actual important stuff (like quality of the ammo, low flash powders, velocity and power of the ammo) An XTP bullet is an XTP is an XTP. Picking a very low power ammo, as he does, is a mistake. A round so under loaded that they barely work the slide, is a mistake. Many of his "top" loads are very weak, under performing loads.

His data shows one brand of bullet, shot on one day, at a certain velocity, shot into one type of poorly performing gel, nets certain results. He discounts very excellent rounds that in his test "only" penetrate 11 inches, which is a mistake. I have shot those same rounds and gotten drastically different results.

Go shoot a Gold Dot .380 into a dead pig and you'll see a round that is drastically better than his pet load, Precision One XTP.

I've written long dissertations on why his science is garbage and unreliable and should not be listened to, but I just don't have the energy any longer.

Shooting the bull does not account for actual important stuff (like quality of the ammo, low flash powders, velocity and power of the ammo) An XTP bullet is an XTP is an XTP. Picking a very low power ammo, as he does, is a mistake. A round so under loaded that they barely work the slide, is a mistake. Many of his "top" loads are very weak, under performing loads.

His data shows one brand of bullet, shot on one day, at a certain velocity, shot into one type of poorly performing gel, nets certain results. He discounts very excellent rounds that in his test "only" penetrate 11 inches, which is a mistake. I have shot those same rounds and gotten drastically different results.

Go shoot a Gold Dot .380 into a dead pig and you'll see a round that is drastically better than his pet load, Precision One XTP.

I've written long dissertations on why his science is garbage and unreliable and should not be listened to, but I just don't have the energy any longer.

Well, I believe you may have a point at least re the Precision One.
What you wrote intrigued me, so I went back to his printed data and read the velocities, and sure enough the average on the Precision One was 756. That struck me as on the low side for a defensive ammo, so I thought I better get some more of this stuff to the range.
This morning, I took an LCP (with brand new 11 pound Wolff recoil spring) and and about 70 rounds of the the P1, a couple new boxes of the Hornady Custom XTPs and a mix of Hornady Critical Defense, Gold Dot and HydraShok, (leftovers kept in plastic cartridge box for the next time out to the range).
I'll be danged: Had three failure to feeds in the LCP and every one was a Precision One round. Remainder I have is going downrange as range ammo. Every other round I had with me ran the guns perfectly fine.
Putting the rest of those P1s downrange as range ammo and going back to Hornady Custom XTP, the HydraShock or the Gold Dot for 380 carry.
I lift my cup of Micky D's coffee in your general direction.

Sorry to hear the Precision One proved unreelable to use as a defense ammo as the penetration with expansion is one of the better 380 JHP loads .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back