New to me 4Runner

Status
Not open for further replies.
The A750 features half slip clutch and due to wear from oil thats lost its lubricity it begins to wear out and its during this half clutch scenario at low speed and high gears the shudder occurs. If in early stage fresh oil restores lubricity as well as shudder guard but if happening for long time the torque converter needs to be replaced. All this can be fixed with installation of transmission cooler and thirty thousand miles transmission flush.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Delta
Originally Posted by john_pifer
Under what conditions do you notice the "shudder"?

And when do you notice the "bouncing around and vibrating" with the carrier bearing?

I have the original carrier bearing, and I've never felt any vibes or anything that I could describe as being related to that.

And, when you say, "slip joint", what are you referring to?

Shudder occurs around 35-45mph when the trans is in 5th and the torque converter is locked up (locks around 40mphish?). Will almost feel like driving on a very light rumble strip. To test this out you can left foot it and gently tap on the brake, not enough to start braking, but just enough to light up the brake lights. The computer will sense this and unlock the torque converter and it'll be smooth.

My carrier bearing is in the early stages of failure. Most common situation is slowing down to say 10-15mph and having to gun it. You can feel a vibration that goes away at speed (50-70ish) It can also vibrate under moderate throttle. From what I understand once it goes bad it'll vibrate under any acceleration, but I may be wrong.

My terminology is wrong, should of said slip yoke or propeller shaft. Typically will feel a thud when suddenly braking or accelerating. It will be inside the boot on your two piece driveshaft. Common fix is to re-grease it.

Good information!

I haven't noticed any vibration beyond what I described in earlier post, but I'll try the tapping the brake and see if I notice anything.

I have just recently started to get a little "clink". It happens when I shift from Park to Drive, or, while slowing down to a stop, or, sometimes, while accelerating away from a stop. I've also noticed it when I coast at 10-15 mph and then accelerate.

Originally Posted by john_pifer
4WD Tacomas have zerks on the u-joints. 2WD Tacoma's Dont.

The 4Runners May be the same.

I have two Tacoma Trucks that are Prerunner 2WD. One has zerks and the other doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back