A day to remember!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So on short notice this morning the babe and I were asked if we could watch the grand kids cuz mom got called in to work and dad always works 6 days a week .
Absolutely and we'll even come get them.
A real good friend of mine from Bismarck travels the 350 miles every year for Daytona weekend and he asked if I would build him a heavy spud bar to knock the bottoms out of ice fishing holes.
So before my buddies showed up I posed this project to my oldest grand son and asked him if he wanted to learn how to weld today. Man the eyebrows went up and the game was on!
We talked about what this tool had to do and took it from there. I posed suggestions to him and we came up with a plan with material I had on the racks.
Before I let him weld the finished project I I got some scrap and we welded it . All I did on the first weld was steady the gun for him.

[Linked Image]

These are Hayden's first 3 welds ever!
And this is the finished spud bar project
[Linked Image]

I never charge anyone a dime for any work that I do and had no intention of charging my buddy for this project. When my buddies showed up and my buddy found out that it was Hayden's first project he flipped Hayden a 20 spot and thanked him . Oh man the look in his eyes was .... wellll priceless!
Hayden looked at me with hesitation and offered me the 20 ... my reply was it's yours!
Great day and the first welds will hang on the shop wall next to his dads first welds.
[Linked Image]

That is neat! Hayden is lucky to have a neat grand dad.

I am just learning to gas weld at 55 years old. I wish I had learned aa a kid.

It's always a joy when my son or daughter takes an interest in what I'm doing and wants to help. Great story and yes, a great day for ya! ðŸ‘

Another Gear Head in the making!!!!!!!! Great job Grandpa!!!! It also shows the way Hayden has been raised the way he was going to give you the $20!!!! AWESOME!!!!!!!

The talk of town these last few years has been the loss of workforce, growth and interest in skilled trades type of careers.
This is a great thing when capturing the interest of the youngsters like this and certainly won't limit them in their quest for higher education and options. There are a lot of 'kids' out there these past few decades who invested in education but are necessarily happy, skilled or even employed. I'm not the best example or speaking in first person but I know those that work with their hands and create, fix or build get that special type of satisfaction that isn't possible by other means.

Great way to spend the day with the kiddo !

Originally Posted by Papa Bear
Good welding, Hayden !!
When I weld it looks like a bunch of grapes ......

Same here, but I'm a machinist... A grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't!
lol.gif

This is very cool, I love seeing kids interested in this stuff!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back