Help me make a decision on engine coolant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hanging out with the mice behind a fridge.😁
So I have 3 vehicles that need a coolant change.
My problem arises in the fact that they have 3 different specs and I have limited storage space in my apartment. So a decision must be made, what coolant to use.
I am looking at 4 options
Change all3 to gm DeXcool, honda, long life fleet diesel coolant or have 3 different jugs of extra fluid taking up space.

My vehicles are a 2002 Chevy Tahoe, a 2001 Honda odyssey and a 2000 f350 v10.

What do youall recommend?

early 2000s GMC - I would avoid 2EHA products.
I would pick one of these:
Zerex Asian Vehicle
Zerex G-05
Peak Final Charge/ Peak Global Lifetime

Last edited:
Originally Posted by atikovi
For couple thousand dollar 20 year old vehicles, something like G05 should be fine.

I value them more than that eaven if no one else does.
I want them to last as long as mechanically possible with as little unplanned repairs as possible.
Is G-05 just alright or is it the best?

One nice thing is as far as I know none of these vehicles have soldered copper in the cooling system so that should free up my choices.
The only part I am not shure of is the heater core on the ford.

Any thoughts on the diesel coolant? I can't recall the name but it carried approval from Caterpillar and several other industrial diesel engine manufacturers and claims to last 750000 miles.
I wouldn't run it 750000 because my vehicles dont have coolant filters like semis do but 5 years or 150000 should be fine I would think.

For three 20 year old vehicles I would just use prestone. Economical and available everywhere. I honestly haven't heard any issues about people using prestone.

This. Guaranteed for all Vehicles. Domestic, Asian, European.

ADBE143A-938D-4EF6-B850-02D336D0F04A.jpeg

Last edited:
I'd use the new PEAK coolant that's sold everywhere and, unlike the Prestone, contains no 2EHA.

So you're looking for one AF, for the three vehicles mentioned? Only one of those vehicles specs DexCool with 2eha, the 2002 Tahoe.

That being the case, my recommendation would be the new Peak 10X antifreeze. It's a long service interval OAT AF, free of 2-EHA, silicate, nitrite, borate, and amines. Neither the Honda nor the Ford spec an AF using/containing 2eha. As mentioned by pbm, Prestone universal uses 2eha where the new Peak 10X does not.

10X comes in concentrate and currently sale priced at Napa for ~$13. O'R and AAP carry it as well. If interested, see link for more details.
https://peakauto.com/products/antifreeze-and-cool/auto/peak-antifreeze-coolant-full-strength/

[Linked Image from peakauto.com]

Spec'd coolant for all 3.

How much space does 3 jugs take up? If you don't have the room, give it away or recycle it.

So if you decide on a common coolant are you going to flush all the old coolants out using a garden hose then distilled water then refill with e selected coolant all at your apartment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back