How long do SUV breaks last?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was doing "breaks service" today for the first time in 3.5yrs on my wife's Pilot. At the time of service it had 37,500 miles. All pads wear evenly (internal/external pad) and there's a ton of meat left - 6-7mm. Same for the rotors - virtually no wear. I was kind of surprised to see that at this mileage on SUV. It feels like they can last another 20K or so. What's your experience with SUV breaks folks? BTW, pilot mostly sees local driving around town hauling kids, minimal highway so i was expecting more wear

The brakes on my Yukon lasted 99k miles and I sold it and the brakes were still good. Brakes will wear differently of course if you tow or in mountains. I live in Florida so the brakes do not have to do their braking going downhill. Brakes do not just break down based on mileage. So it is hard to say how long brakes will last on SUV's. The brakes on my Rogue needed replacement at around 50K miles or so. I do not remember the exact time I replaced the brakes.

Different for driving applications and areas. Highway sees little use compared to in town and expressway. Northern cars will have rust issues , sometimes before the pads actually wear out. Depends on the situation.

The first set often lasts longer, too. Fresh calipers, pins, sliding points... even the master cylinder ports can make brakes drag.

Originally Posted by dogememe
Every car, driver, use case, and location will be different.

I get it. That's why i asked YOUR experience

They could last another 20K. If you are doing the brake job yourself, maybe keep the existing stuff for another 10K then do the brakes at that time unless 20K will come quickly.

What brand of pads and rotors are they?

Depends on the pads you're using and how it's driven. If it's mostly highway, then the miles will accumulate. If it's mostly city or you're doing a lot of towing, less miles to wear out the brakes

Replaced the front brakes on my Dodge Ram 1500 last year with 60k on them. The rears will be replaced this year when the weather warms up. They are factory pads and rotors and probably could have gone another 10k but I did not want to push it since I do live in the mountains (more like really big hills). The truck has metal sintered pads and really chews up the rotors. My Ford focus has 65k on the original pads and rotors and they dont look worn at all, the rotors are still smooth with ceramic pads.

The vast majority of brake pads are made by Akebono and are of the standard ceramic variety. These Akebono pads last a long time, however, they are not ideal because it gives a soft pedal and takes longer for the vehicle to stop.

I have had the most success with Wagner OEX pads. Keep in mind if you use the OEX pads there is a breakin procedure listed on Wagners website which is basically 20 full stops from 30 mph consecutively. The Wagner OEX pads seem to last a good while, but also have more bite than the Akebono standard pads.

Semi-metallic pads are really good at stopping and give a good pedal, but they simply dont last and tend to warp the rotors.

Last edited:
What I'm really surprised about is that despite local commute with bunch of start/stop there's a minimal wear. I would expect more especially with it being an SUV. Brakes/pads are still OEM honda, not dure who honda is using as a supplier

Honda, Toyota, General Motors, Ford, etc...even lot of the parts store branded pads...are all Akebono ceramics. Akebono has two kinds which are regular ceramic and sport ceramic. I tried the sport ceramic which worked well but didnt last.

There isnt a lot of brake manufacturers out there and Akebono has most of the market.

Originally Posted by parshisa
I was doing "breaks service" today for the first time in 3.5yrs on my wife's Pilot. At the time of service it had 37,500 miles. All pads wear evenly (internal/external pad) and there's a ton of meat left - 6-7mm. Same for the rotors - virtually no wear. I was kind of surprised to see that at this mileage on SUV. It feels like they can last another 20K or so. What's your experience with SUV breaks folks? BTW, pilot mostly sees local driving around town hauling kids, minimal highway so i was expecting more wear

Be happy the wife doesn't ride the breaks on the Pilot.

The smaller SUV's (RAV4, CR-V, etc.) seem to have brake life that is comparable to smaller cars.

IME the larger ones (RX, Pilot, etc.) are a different story. Usually the fronts need to be done every 30-40k due to wear or pulsation. For example, I usually see hot spots on the front rotors of RX350's/Sienna's by this time.

The rears tend to last a bit longer. Obviously, all of this depends on your location and driving habits, but those have been my observations.

Originally Posted by parshisa

I get it. That's why i asked YOUR experience

I can not get more than 30k out of a set of brakes the way I drive my SUVs. And that's with high quality parts installed meticulously.

Last edited:
There are so many variables here I'm not sure what one is gaining by asking.

As an example, the front brake pads on my old Cherokee usually went about 30,000 miles before they were done, but the rear drums went forever (and the poor self adjusting led to the early failures of the fronts).

The pads on my 97 Explorer lasted around 75,000 miles on average. The rears on my '07 Explorer are at 80,000 right now, but the fronts I tend to get 40,000. Same driving on those two.

Better question would be how many miles do people typically see on this particular vehicle - and then parse out by use...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back