Good income tax softwear?

Is TURBO TAX still a good one for a Federal return (no state) Need a package to address RMDs, Donations, Medical and Capital gains etc. Tired of paying someone to do it. Ed

Do they still make consumer-grade tax software ? People still buy this ?

Or are you referring to online tax software like Turbo Tax, TaxAct, etc offer ?

Do it on line.

I was using TAXACT online, got fed return in a few days, state return by check in a week. Has always been secure.

They revamped the package for this year and I didnt like it as much compared t previous years.

But if you are paid thru ADP payroll the program will auto upload all the W2 info

saves mucho typing.

With a Fed w/ Shedule B + State return with direst deposit , cost me about 70 bucks

Got direct deposit of Fed overpayment..

Google search says:

The Best Tax Software for 2020
4.5. Intuit TurboTax Deluxe 2020 (Tax Year 2019) ...
4.5. H&R Block Deluxe 2020 (Tax Year 2019) ...
4.0. TaxAct Deluxe+ 2020 (Tax Year 2019) ...
3.5. TaxSlayer Classic 2020 (Tax Year 2019) ...
3.0. Credit Karma Tax 2020 (2019 Tax Year) ...
3.0. FreeTaxUSA Deluxe 2020 (Tax Year 2019) ...

Last edited:
I use TurboTax Premier every year. So easy to use and cost like $55 on Amazon

Originally Posted by opus1
I've been using FreeTaxUSA.com for years. Easy to use and no issues so far.

+2. Do the free fed thing, print out the forms, and do the state by hand. My state has its own free online portal (they all should, IMO) that takes numbers from the 1040.

Been a Turbo Tax user for many years now. The self populating fields from previous years along with the tax data downloading automatically makes the filing about 30 minutes or less all in. About $40 which includes E-file. I have not itemized for about 5 years now. BTW, I already filed and received my return. Took 1 day to show up in my bank account. The prior record was last year, 3 days. No state tax in Wyoming.

I switched TaxAct for FreeTaxUSA three years ago and so far it's done a great job on my rather complex returns. Much more straight forward than big 3. Last time I looked Credit Karma couldnt handle move but if you have a simple return, it's totally free. FreeTax dings you a few bucks forva state return.

Really disappointed how quickly TaxAct upped its charge but it made me switch to Frer Tax so that's good.

Originally Posted by csandste

Really disappointed how quickly TaxAct upped its charge but it made me switch to Frer Tax so that's good.

Yeah, I'm moving on from TAXACT , I wasn't happy about cost or performance this tax season.

I have a little $$ investment in brokerage accounts outside of IRA's.
That SHED B is a pain! I think Ill put the money into cash or gvt moneymarket instead.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson

He literally mentions Turbo Tax in the OP...

We pay someone $130 to do ours and I'm glad for it.

Yes. There may be others just as good but I don't believe there are any better. Been using TT for many, many years...

I just looked Free Tax USA and I am interested.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Gebo
Yes. There may be others just as good but I don't believe there are any better. Been using TT for many, many years...

I used to use TaxAct but switched over to TT about 5yrs ago now and it works just fine for me. I once tried H & R and it was meh. I didn't care for the UX. I'm so tied into TT now that switching again is just not something I want to do.

Originally Posted by gathermewool
Originally Posted by hallstevenson

He literally mentions Turbo Tax in the OP...

Which is specifically why I asked. Take your pick

Desktop versions of TurboTax
or
Online versions of TurboTax

I use a CPA. The online stuff never handles my employee incentive stock options properly or gives me any confidence it's working properly.

Arco,

I thought filing a return with NH was not necessary unless one derives a lot of income from investments like dividends and interest?

I haven't done taxes yet for 2019, so I may have missed something? I have yet to file a return for the four tax years that I have lived in NH.

I hope I'm not in trouble?

I have been using Turbo Tax with audit protection for about 6 years now. Last year was the first year where the standard deduction was the better choice for me. No audits yet..

I have never been able to get over the hump since the kids left. Started on TT then cpa then TA now back to TT for several years. Not real happy about what I donate to the cause each year but dammed happy to be livin the dream in the USA!

I used Kipplinger Tax cut for years, then it was bought by H&R Block, and used that for many more.
I helped my mom in 2018 doing her 2017 taxes and used freetaxusa.com and it was very simple for her basic taxes.
Last year I decided I was tired of paying and switched to freetaxusa.com also and have been happy.
Actually just finished mine about 30 minutes ago using them, took about 20-30 minutes (most of that was looking for one of my forms).
The first time took a bit longer due to having to enter all my info, but this time was much faster.
I think they have the ability to use your phone and take pics of the forms if you use the app, but I use a desktop so not sure.

Originally Posted by Leo99
I use a CPA. The online stuff never handles my employee incentive stock options properly or gives me any confidence it's working properly.

In your case, that is a very good idea. Me and the IRS had a major disagreement about ISO's, to the point I had get a tax lawyer. One seldom sees a tax preparation bill of around $10,000 for a single year, but in the end it kept me out of bankruptcy, and out of jail.
I went upside down on a 83-B election.

Back