Midsized Truck Shopping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
There is a serious car loan problem in our country. I messaged someone on Craigslist, told them I had CASH IN HAND, and told them I'd give them private party book value for their car. This amounted to 2k+ over trade-in.

They were literally asking $ 495 less than a new model (this was a 2016) with 11,000 miles and would NOT budge on price. Got the "Good luck" response from them. Stupid.

Yep-it sounds like he has had the car for about a year-probably with a high interest loan-so he couldn't take what you were offering without having enough to pay off the existing loan.

Originally Posted By: CKN
There is a serious car loan problem in our country. I messaged someone on Craigslist, told them I had CASH IN HAND, and told them I'd give them private party book value for their car. This amounted to 2k+ over trade-in.

They were literally asking $ 495 less than a new model (this was a 2016) with 11,000 miles and would NOT budge on price. Got the "Good luck" response from them. Stupid.

Yep-it sounds like he has had the car for about a year-probably with a high interest loan-so he couldn't take what you were offering without having enough to pay off the existing loan.

Lots of people are upside down on their loan. They put $3000 down and finance it for 72 months.

I'm probably just going to stick with what I have unless I can find something that's one-owner, clean, well taken care of, and not priced 5k over book value.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Originally Posted By: CKN

Lots of people are upside down on their loan. They put $3000 down and finance it for 72 months.

They are only "upside down" if they need to get rid of the car for some reason (job loss?) prior to the end of a loan/or when in/if they are in an equity position. At manufacturer interest rates-I personally would see no need to put down a lump sum or balloon payment in order to be in an equity position. Not at a 1.9 or 2.9% interest rate on a car loan.

My FIL had a 13 year old Colorado regular cab short bed 4WD that was getting tired. He was SHOCKED To find they don't make the new ones in that configuration...he wound up with a 2016 Colorado extended cab demo with 3000 miles on it, but to get it in his garage he had to move a refrigerator and some shelves, and he folds the mirrors in. Seems like a lot of work.

The new one also sits higher, to the point that he added running boards so my MIL can get in the truck comfortably.

Looked at a a new Colorado before buying the vehicle below in my signature line. Really, really wanted to like it, but I found the roofline too low, and the sill plate too high to gracefully get in and out of it.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

The premise is good-- I've bought two southern cars-- but you want to find a hamlet where trucks aren't king.

Yes, even in the south you will pay for a good truck. The upside is a larger stock of rust free trucks to pick from, but there's not really a cheap way to get a good pickup.

If you go the older truck route, prepare to put some work in it, even if it comes from the south.

I have a couple of old pickups, but I know the platform well, and one wasn't old when I bought it.

I still can't wrap my head around how expensive a new pickup truck is.

The car manufacturers have figured out 90% of the trucks will never haul more than mulch from Lowes. I have a hard time finding new trucks that cost less than $50k on the roads here. Anything less than $15k is bordering on beater truck territory as their resale tends to remain high.

Originally Posted By: GMFan

The car manufacturers have figured out 90% of the trucks will never haul more than mulch from Lowes. I have a hard time finding new trucks that cost less than $50k on the roads here. Anything less than $15k is bordering on beater truck territory as their resale tends to remain high.

Come on, I hauled plywood in it, too!

Check the new trucks of the previous model year , in June , or latter . Often are available with good incentives to move them .

If you bring it to NH Oil Undercoating once a year you are all set. It is $199 for trucks.

Here's the undercarriage and body of the truck for all you naysayers. Yeah, there's some rust, but minimal compared to a non-oil treated truck from 2003 here in the northeast.

Ram seriously needs a midsize with a Hemi. I love the V8's power and torque. It is great for towing and sounds amazing with a $ 180 Dynomax catback. No V6 or 4 banger will ever sound this good.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Not sure why the last photo is upside down. Posting from mobile.

Doesn't look bad up top but what do the brake lines look like? Also, I've seen a lot (subjective I know) of trucks where it seems like the first body rot is above the rear wheels in the bed area. I'd look there and get underneath better to see what is going on.

Err, what's the point? That oil coating keeps rust at bay? I though we knew that already...

Is this a new to you Dakota?

Looks very clean if it was a rust belt vehicle.

Is that rust under the door or is that dirt?

That's the truck I bought a few years ago when everyone kept telling me it couldn't be done. Bought it from VT, original owner had it oil sprayed every fall.

I had a 2005 Colorado crew cab for 12 years. I loved it. I like the mid-size trucks, but my 13 year old son is already 5'11'' and still going, his little brother is not far behind... They don't fit in the back of the mid-size crew cabs anymore, so full size it is.

Originally Posted by dadto2
I had a 2005 Colorado crew cab for 12 years. I loved it. I like the mid-size trucks, but my 13 year old son is already 5'11'' and still going, his little brother is not far behind... They don't fit in the back of the mid-size crew cabs anymore, so full size it is.

I'm 5'11" and fit in the back of the new Colorado Crew just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back