2018 + Honda Goldwing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, clearly the metrics do something wrong regarding tire life if the posts are correct load per sq inch.
No matter how many posts in here, no one can justify to me OEM tires that last 7000 miles then a cost $400 to have it changed.

Harleys touring bikes go 14,000 miles and weigh the same.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by gman2304
My sons CVO RK has a key fob for the factory alarm system. He simply leaves the fob in the windshield bag and rarely removes it. If he's away from his bike on a ride, he puts the fob in his pocket and when he walks away, it automatically arms the system. Pretty convenient IMO. My Superglide requires me to lock the ignition switch and or forks with a barrel key for security. If I lose the key while away from my bike with the ignition locked, I'm SOL, same as someone losing a fob. Having said that, I rarely use my key. I simply turn the unlocked tank mounted switch to start, hit my starter button and I'm on my way. Don't even have to "insert a key". Even my Superglide is prewired for an alarm system from the factory, I just chose not to purchase the system.

Like your son I dont have to insert a key. I only have to use the key if I wish to lock the ignition. As you said, he keeps his key fob in the saddle bag which is also an unlocked ignition.
If I am traveling, beach, mountains etc, etc. All I have to do is take the key out of my pocket insert and twist. Ignition is locked, I can then stuff the key in my pocket OR swim suit, go rafting, swimming or whatever, knowing a key will not have an electronic malfunction like a fob might.
No big deal at all, I could care less which one I have but I do prefer a key, but keyless would not stop me from buying a bike. It would weight on my mind as a key fob is much more prone to damage and getting stuck someplace then a mechanical key.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by alarmguy
Yeah, clearly the metrics do something wrong regarding tire life if the posts are correct load per sq inch.
No matter how many posts in here, no one can justify to me OEM tires that last 7000 miles then a cost $400 to have it changed.

Harleys touring bikes go 14,000 miles and weigh the same.

You need to go check out the GL1800 forum. The older GW models were getting as little as 7-8K miles out of the OEM tires, but the 2018 and newer models (which this thread is about) are getting as many, or more miles than the Harley tires are lasting. Some guys are getting 18-20K from the original tires...

Originally Posted by grampi
Check out this discussion from the same site:

https://www.gl1800riders.com/threads/tire-wear-on-the-new-wings.459280/

^^^ Not sure of your point ^^^ Do you not see endless posts about tires wearing out as little as 6, 7, 8000 miles from many posters who agree with the OP, owner of a 2018 Goldwing?

Yeah, some guy claiming otherwise, big deal, I dont see any facts from him, only the original OP counts and clearly numerous others in the thread confirmed with him the issue.
Fact is, nothing has changed yet, rear tires do wear out as little as 8000 and maybe less miles on Goldwings to this day. reading all those posts, you can believe what you want, fact is, the 2018 OP owner has an issue like I stated with all Metric touring bikes. They burn through OEM rear tires and there is no denying that, I suspect things will improve as some after market tires will last longer but at the expensive of bad side effects sometimes.

Again, just a fact, Harley Heavy touring bikes do not have this rear tire issue for AT LEAST a decade (maybe more) as much as you HATE Harley, you cant win on this subject.
:eek:) - peace

... and I HATE getting rear tires replaced, so my Road King is a godsend in that respect (and many others)

Last edited:
It sure does seem that tire mfgs don't take a motorcycle's power into consideration when making tires. For example, When bikes had under 100 ft pds of torque, tire would generally last under normal conditions between 10-15 k. Nowadays those same bikes are making north of 100 ft pds , but use the same tires. That extra torque along with added weight scrub the rubber off the tires alot faster. Tire slippage will remove rubber, and it doesn't have to be from doing burnouts. What the roads are made of add to the wear numbers. Asphalt, cement, composite asphalt with gravel embedded in it or sand, all have different abrasive characteristics. Another reason why some roads feel slipperier when wet then others. Along with how aggressive the rider is with his right hand, and whether the bike is used mostly around town, cruising back roads or straight up high speed highway . They figured it out with car tires, but there must be too much money at stake to loose doing the same for motorcycle tires.,,,

^^^ Not sure of your point ^^^ Do you not see endless posts about tires wearing out as little as 6, 7, 8000 miles from many posters who agree with the OP, owner of a 2018 Goldwing?

Yeah, some guy claiming otherwise, big deal, I dont see any facts from him, only the original OP counts and clearly numerous others in the thread confirmed with him the issue.
Fact is, nothing has changed yet, rear tires do wear out as little as 8000 and maybe less miles on Goldwings to this day. reading all those posts, you can believe what you want, fact is, the 2018 OP owner has an issue like I stated with all Metric touring bikes. They burn through OEM rear tires and there is no denying that, I suspect things will improve as some after market tires will last longer but at the expensive of bad side effects sometimes.

Again, just a fact, Harley Heavy touring bikes do not have this rear tire issue for AT LEAST a decade (maybe more) as much as you HATE Harley, you cant win on this subject.

... and I HATE getting rear tires replaced, so my Road King is a godsend in that respect (and many others)

According to that thread, there are far more GW owners getting 12-15K from the OEM tires than those who are getting less than 10K, but you seem to be focused on the few who are getting less miles...the vast majority of GWs getting less than 10K on the original tires are pre-2018 models...

According to that thread, there are far more GW owners getting 12-15K from the OEM tires than those who are getting less than 10K, but you seem to be focused on the few who are getting less miles...the vast majority of GWs getting less than 10K on the original tires are pre-2018 models...

Oh really?
The good news is anyone can read those posts from owners of Gold wings and determined for themselves.
Here is yet another thread confirming my first post... https://www.gl1800riders.com/threads/bridgestone-tire-life.422090/

Last edited:
My question is where does the $400 rear tire change come from? If you get the tire for $200-$250, my place charged about $35 to mount it. If the dealer has to take it off the bike of course it's more but that's a choice not a necessity. It's true, we can read and see what people are getting for mileage and it shows many more getting over 10,000 miles than 8,000 miles or less. Everybody here post up a link to a thread they want included and I'll go through later and make a tally to where the case is stated one way or the other.

It's been mentioned but not taken into consideration with the merit it should...if they are chip sealed roads or smooth interstate. If secondary roads are smooth in warmer climate states or weathered in Colorado. Does the rider roll to a stop using the front brake or do you downshift and let the engine do the work and brake right at the end?? Absolutely changes the front and rear wear characteristics of any tire combination. All this urinary Olympiad for something that's so variable unless you are on the bike and ride it where you ride, not much to be said.

The fact of the matter is we are talking OEM tires that last 6 to 10,000 miles and always seems to be on metric bikes for some reason.

As far as cost I don't know I consider myself pretty mechanically inclined and I for one have a dealer change my rear tire. I doubt that I am in the minority and assume I'm in the majority especially with large touring bikes.
https://www.gl1800riders.com/threads/bridgestone-tire-life.422090/

I doubt any dealer is going to sell a rear tire anywhere near the price of $200

As far as making a case, the case is already made by the owner if a Goldwing above.
Which by the way coincides with my experience with much lighter metric cruisers I have owned and I'm sure with grandpas Triumph Rocket https://www.r3owners.net/threads/longest-life-rear-tire-for-roadster.26151/

Last edited:
You have a good point if you buy the tire at full retail and pay the dealer to take the wheel off the bike, mount the tire and then put it back on, it's really spendy.

Originally Posted by Bonz
It's been mentioned but not taken into consideration with the merit it should...if they are chip sealed roads or smooth interstate. If secondary roads are smooth in warmer climate states or weathered in Colorado. Does the rider roll to a stop using the front brake or do you downshift and let the engine do the work and brake right at the end?? Absolutely changes the front and rear wear characteristics of any tire combination. All this urinary Olympiad for something that's so variable unless you are on the bike and ride it where you ride, not much to be said.

So true. Miles is just part of the equation. Road type, load, riding style, weather, etc will all vary tire wear even with identical tires on identical bikes.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

I'm wondering if the guys who wear out tires faster are religious about keeping the tire correctly inflated all the time.

It makes no difference. This isnt about people who wear tires faster, its about metric touring bikes OEM rear tires last only 6 to 10000 miles and honestly 10k is way too generous, in most every case its closer to 7,000 miles. Been there, done that ... :eek:)

Of course with that said, you can play around with different tire brands once you blow through the OEM and some new types do last longer and people have good experiences with them, then again, a small percentage have issues with them, sometimes real performance issues/vibrations.etc, then of course, also many of these tires will "fit" on the rim but the size is slightly out of what is published/ not specified by the manufacturer, so you kind of always wonder, then of course very popular with some metric touring riders, lets through a car tire on the rear instead! geez, already.

Hey, just for the record, Im not ranting about it, Im just replying to certain others in here who somehow seem to discount it as not true.
Its very true and it is not an issue as long as the buyer is aware of it. Another example, same deal, BMW touring Bikes 7000 miles, replace the rear tire, as well as everything from every other metric touring maker.

Last edited:

I'm wondering if the guys who wear out tires faster are religious about keeping the tire correctly inflated all the time.

It makes no difference. This isnt about people who wear tires faster, its about metric touring bikes OEM rear tires last only 6 to 10000 miles and honestly 10k is way too generous, in most every case its closer to 7,000 miles. Been there, done that ... :eek:)

Of course with that said, you can play around with different tire brands once you blow through the OEM and some new types do last longer and people have good experiences with them, then again, a small percentage have issues with them, sometimes real performance issues/vibrations.etc, then of course, also many of these tires will "fit" on the rim but the size is slightly out of what is published/ not specified by the manufacturer, so you kind of always wonder, then of course very popular with some metric touring riders, lets through a car tire on the rear instead! geez, already.

Hey, just for the record, Im not ranting about it, Im just replying to certain others in here who somehow seem to discount it as not true.
Its very true and it is not an issue as long as the buyer is aware of it. Another example, same deal, BMW touring Bikes 7000 miles, replace the rear tire, as well as everything from every other metric touring maker.

Sorry, but your statement that MOST OEM GW tires last less than 10K miles simply isn't true. Those that wear out this quickly are the exception, not the rule. But for some reason you have picked this one aspect of a motorcycle as your pro-Harley argument, and you clearly aren't going to let it go. Keep spewing your falsehoods as long as you want, I know the real story...

It makes no difference.

Proper tire inflation doesn't make a difference ... highly doubt that.

It makes no difference.

Proper tire inflation doesn't make a difference ... highly doubt that.

To clarify, makes no difference as far as OEM tires wearing out in the 8000 range, meaning no one is ever going to get more then 10,000 miles out of the tires, yes an over inflated tire will wear out the center tread faster etc. So that guy with the worn out Goldwing tire at 7000 miles, even if it was neglected would not have seen more then 10 to 15% more life and would have ended up at 8000 miles instead.
So maybe that tire will last 7000 miles vs 10 to % longer to 8200 miles. Im only speaking from experience, as I always kept my tires properly inflated on both my Yamaha and Suzuki and no matter what I did, tires were shot around 7-8,000 miles.

Plenty of links of worn out OEM tires in the metric forums of any metric brand touring bike and I posted a few specific posts from actual new Goldwing owners, these aren't my posts, these are posts by the owners complete with photos. I mean lets face it, the forums on these bikes are loaded with tire life questions and questions about putting a car tire (going darkside) on the back of the bike because of the wear issues.

BTW most if not all Goldwings have Tire Pressure Monitors but didnt want to bring that up because its a non issue when all metric bike cruiser owners reports low rear tire life, even grandpas Triumph Rocket that he used to own. :eek:)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back