Aluminum or Copper Washers

Status
Not open for further replies.
From reading in another forum I now have a question.

Should we only use aluminum washers on our aluminum oil and AT cases?

I've seen where it seems most people don't think we should use copper anti-seize on spark plugs going in an aluminum block.

Should we not use copper washers between aluminum parts? If so, why?

Originally Posted by Gebo
From reading in another forum I now have a question.

Should we only use aluminum washers on our aluminum oil and AT cases?

I've seen where it seems most people don't think we should use copper anti-seize on spark plugs going in an aluminum block.

Should we not use copper washers between aluminum parts? If so, why?

Most copper rings used as seals are not dead soft copper but a copper alloy and takes more torque to seal than aluminum which in most seal washer applications is very soft.
Many OE manufacturers use aluminum washers/rings for sealing on aluminum, steel and iron without any issues.

Use this style and you don't need no stinkin washer.

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

Originally Posted by atikovi

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

Where you get these at? Are they self sealing by that design? Assume they last alot longer than crush washers.
Personally have reused many crush washer and none have ever leaked though. Also have some that have a built in flat washer that seems to work quite well.

The only two vehicles I've owned that called for copper oil drain plug washers were a 1996 Isuzu Trooper and a 1987 Alfa Romeo Spider. All the rest specified aluminum, except the odd Toyotas of the 1980's that used fabric washers.

I usually use oem style.

Crushing type on subaru, Flat alum. on hyundai.

gasketed plug on jeep. etc.

My favorite are the subaru.. they physically crush (hollow) and its easy to tell when they stop crushing/fully tight.

The flat non crushing hyundai style is ok I just go hand tight with a short ratchet.

least favorite are the gasketed plugs.. I feel I always overtighten them.. but if you ever had one come off/loosen on you(I have) its an easy mistake to make.

Fortunately as long as you arent stupid they can take abit without failing/causing damage. ie they arent plastic.

If by mixing different metals, you're thinking of "galvanic corrosion", for all practical purposes it's not going to happen with a washer. Threads, i.e. a steel fastener into an aluminum tapped hole, are a different matter though.

Originally Posted by atikovi

Be careful with those or be aware but the rubber o-ring can apparently fall out of those. My wife's Fusion would drip unless I really snugged down the oil drain plug, snugged tighter than I liked. I have some Honda aluminum crush washers and tried one of those - problem solved. Later, I looked to see if Ford uses a sealing washer or something and that's when I found that they use this type of plug with the built-in o-ring.

I get the aluminum Dorman gaskets (25 for $6.99) for our Hyundai and Kia over at Autozone.
Part # 095-147
Already replaced the OEM oil pan plug with a magnetic oil pan plug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back