Voided warranty?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On that sheet they are more specific about their vacuum cleaner warranty than they are about their ATF
wink.gif

Originally Posted by MolaKule
Originally Posted by wdn
Originally Posted by wdn

MaxLife multi-vehicle ATF does not meet the Ford MERCON LV spec. Valvoline does not leave it to the imagination or stay mute on it — they come out and say it is not certified or evaluated by any OEM.

What is your information source that the chemistry of Valvoline MaxLife does not meet the Mercon LV specification?

I already posted that information in this thread and it has nothing to do with chemistry. It is Valvoline's own statement that MaxLife Multi-Vehicle is not licensed by any OEM nor is it evaluated or endorsed by any OEM. HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH CHEMISTRY. They freely admit they are not licensed and that they sell other ATF products that are licensed and approved by Ford as MERCON spec.

I would like to know how you know that it doesn't.

With all due respect yes it does as the ATF chemistry has everything to do with a fluid's performance and whether or not it can properly function in a covered transmission.

I don't mean to put words into wdn's mouth, but I THINK what he meant was, since Maxlife is not officially licensed, it is technically not a Mercon LV fluid. Whether or not it chemically meets the Mercon LV spec is irrelevant, as Ford can easily use the excuse of, "We never officially approved it or tested it, therefore we don't know if it'll screw up our transmissions, therefore we're not covering this under warranty." If Maxlife had Ford's seal of approval, then there would be no debate; it would be covered under warranty and this thread wouldn't exist. But it doesn't, so...here we are.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
What is your information source that the chemistry of Valvoline MaxLife does not meet the Mercon LV specification?

What a shock! All of the formerly loquacious "experts" about how Maxlife has ruined a transmission and a warranty have disappeared and/or ignored the one person on the board who formulates transmission fluids for a living, and who also just happened to have analyzed MaxLife ATF previously, including sharing the information about the fluid and his interpretation about its makeup and usability, a DW-1 impostor, and genuine Honda DW-1. And not just one inquiry from MolaKule, but TWO! Color me unsurprised. Here's looking at you, wdn...

Dispute with MolaKule on the facts... please
35.gif

I'm assuming you're including me on this. Like I said, I did a single D&F with Maxlife (Z-1 in the tranny to begin with) and experienced shift flair. I did multiple D&F with DW-1 and the issue that one issue resolved completely. Sure, it could have been a coincidence; however, it's also possible that Maxlife didn't respond well in my tranny. The experience made it clear to me that you can't go wrong with OE ATF.

I'll gladly use every name-brand of motor oil, DOT 3+ brake fluid, gear oil, etc., but I'll stick with OE ATF going forward.

Ford can deny your warranty for any BS reason they can come up with, knowing full well the average consumer dosen't have the time or the money to fight them.

Ford can't just void your warranty for using MaxLife. If MaxLife said it is "suitable" or "recommended" then Valvoline will back you up if Ford denied it for that, and in the worst case Valvoline will have more to worry about than you (i.e. so they will fight Ford out to keep their reputation around).

Mercon and Maxlife aren't that big of a difference, it has to be something like CVT vs non CVT fluid that trigger the warranty void. Your ambient temperature change can make a bigger difference than Maxlife vs Ford fluid and even if it does, only shift feel and not a permanent damage that needs a rebuild (i.e. just change the fluid back if you don't like it).

Originally Posted by Rw30707
So what is the likely hood of them discovering the maxlife fluid at all. If i tell them it is the original factory fill. Service of the fluid is scheduled at 150000 in the service manual.

Around zero if you keep to yourself. That goes up to 100% when you start going on to the service guy about how you messed up and probably voided your warranty by using unapproved ATF. Don't volunteer info, but don't lie and say it's on the factory fill either. I seriously doubt transmission fluid is going to come up in the conservation. Popping off out of the blue with "It's got the factory fill" is bound to set off red flags.

Not sure exactly what was done but seems to have fixed the issue and was covered under warranty.

Originally Posted by PumpPusher
Ford can deny your warranty for any BS reason they can come up with, knowing full well the average consumer dosen't have the time or the money to fight them.

I didn't read this whole thread. So your saying you used it and it did mess up the transmission? Okay saw the first post. Nice to see people are finding out what I have said about max life trans fluid.
THERE IS NO ONE SIZE FITS ALL TRANSMISSION FLUID.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by atikovi
A most relevant thread for all the Maxlife fanboys out there. OP saved $10 to $20 over using factory fluid and now faces a potential $2,000-$3,000 repair if the warranty doesn't cover it.

Right on. No one will listen to Transmission fluid logic. I posted the Weber college guy saying that all transmission fluids are not the same, and that is for a reason.

Originally Posted by kschachn
The ATF is not what is failing here.

And no, Ford does not have "every right" to deny your warranty by using Maxlife in this application. Where are we getting this stuff?

What fails is not having the correct type or quantities of additives to the fluid type. And to the guy saying all this is opinion, just call the Weber college guy or a ford or gm transmission engineer that will say what I have been saying.

Let us see bearing failure, pump scoring... 10,000 after change to "recommended for" fluid.

Glad the OP is sorted.

What caused the bearing failure and pump scoring... ?

I think I'd stick with official fluid...

Great Warranty covered it and from the document shown the Fluid was not blamed for the failure.

Time to close.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back