Toyota Engine recalls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Leo99
Originally Posted by zzyzzx
I'd be more concerned about the CVT that some Corolla's use.

Why? What data do you have to suggest they are substandard?

I already had a service bulletin TSB thingy to recalibrate some valve that was sometimes cycling too much. Supposedly my car wasn't doing it but they update the software. Some JSDLMNOP campaign that they kept changing the fix on and finally stuck with one. To be honest, I'm at about 50k miles and wondering if I should have the fluid changed. One dealer and indy say I don't need to preemptively and they have some way to test the fluid or something. The other dealer said at 60k it's not a bad idea. $270. Hmm...

But yeah, the one part of my car I also feel sketchy about, although I'm sure it'll be fine...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by wdn
Toyota sells more than 2,000,000 cars a year the US and 250 of them have an issue. That is 1 car affected per 8,000 cars sold.
Originally Posted by jayjr1105
Looks like Both Toyota and Honda are struggling with modern engines.

Yea seriously... I was going to say, they're not only actively fixing the issue, it's only a small percentage of yearly sales affected. Unlike Hyundai who continued to lie and cover up the Theta II issues and continue to sell cars with problematic designs for years... In their case, "owning up" amounts to extending the warranty, assuming you survive the sudden catastrophic engine failure.

I appreciate how Toyota handles most of their problems. Actually, they probably aren't 100% but I don't believe any other manufacturer is even close when it comes to taking responsibility for their own mess ups.

Originally Posted by Amkeer
Kudos to Toyota for quickly identifying a problem and taking the necessary steps to remedy it. They did the same with my 2003 Tacoma with the front ball joints because of a slight score in the manufacturing process.

They are good about that. 250 out of the 44,191 is small.

Originally Posted by wdn
Ford also had the craptastic engine-exploding internal water pump issue. Instead of fixing it they just aged out that engine.

Honda still has an issue with the 1.5 turbo and still trying to sweep it under the rug instead of a formal recall. It's pretty embarrassing when Chinese government stops sales of Honda in the whole country because they do not meet minimum quality standard for sale in China. That was just one year ago.

Everything China does is political with domestic manufacturers mind. Their domestics would not get the same treatment as Honda.

Originally Posted by buster
Kudos to Toyota for quickly identifying a problem and taking the necessary steps to remedy it. They did the same with my 2003 Tacoma with the front ball joints because of a slight score in the manufacturing process.

Agreed, and that is why they have retained our business for 35 years.

Originally Posted by zzyzzx
I'd be more concerned about the CVT that some Corolla's use.

I'd be more concerned if a company who does not care like Ford was using alternate transmissions then Toyota. Toyota would buy back or replace all the transmissions to save face.

Ford sends them (Focus/Fiesta) out the door with broken ones. Oh wait they have some sort of joke warranty on transmissions with no fix.

They do except for excessive oil consumption and head gasket failures on the 1.8 engine. (Which are "normal wear")

Anyone with that issue is left high and dry, not even a TSB let alone campaign to solve the issue.

Toyota seems to address serious defects. My parents how have owned two Toyota's with some serious defects has them both fixed under extended warranty:

1990 4Runner v6 blew head gasket and Toyota replaced in 2003ish with 140k miles due to a recall. Not good but it was fixed 13+ years latter.

My parents 2000 Tundra V8 they still drive today had its entire frame replaced about 5 years ago. The upside they got the timing belt and entire exhaust replaced for barely any cost because the entire vehicle was so easy to work on. Crazily the 2000 Tundra does not have single creak or rattle in it after 17 years and a frame move.

Toyota is not perfect but definitely cares about their product reputation.

They MUST do this recall unless they want hefty fine including criminal investigation. It is safety recall. Do not confuse this with FORD powershift (someone mentioned this) issues. They are not safety issues. Toyota left in limbo 53,000 customers of 2017-2019 HL and Sienna with 8 speed transmissions and sent them nice letter saying they will have rough shifting through lifespan of vehicle, so just hang on.
Now, good comparison would be GM and that ignition issue they had and tired to cover it.

Originally Posted by madRiver
Ford sends them (Focus/Fiesta) out the door with broken ones. Oh wait they have some sort of joke warranty on transmissions with no fix.

2012-2016s and only up to 100K miles. Great car with a garbage DCT transmission from a distrustful manufacture.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Pew

2012-2016s and only up to 100K miles. Great car with a garbage DCT transmission from a distrustful manufacture.

Which is not same as safety recall.
Toyota scammed some 53,000 customers on 8 speed transmission which in certain cases failed after 3,000 miles. They never issued recall.

Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by Pew

Which is not same as safety recall.
Toyota scammed some 53,000 customers on 8 speed transmission which in certain cases failed after 3,000 miles. They never issued recall.

Which sounds just like the PowerShift trans (and there's documents that provide evidence that corporate knew about it.)

Originally Posted by Rmay635703
...They are good about that. 250 out of the 44,191 is small.
They do except for excessive oil consumption and head gasket failures on the 1.8 engine. (Which are "normal wear")
Anyone with that issue is left high and dry, not even a TSB let alone campaign to solve the issue.
There was a semi-secret TSB to fix the consumption (by replacing pistons and rings) if the owner complained loudly enough, early enough, and passes a consumption test.
You forgot to mention the clogged EGR coolers, clogged intake manifold EGR passages, and consequent misfires, knocking, etc.
Dealers deny it all.

Last edited:
There were not anywhere near 53000 of them that failed and Toyota didn't need to recall them. All of the affected vehicles were still under warranty and Toyota just fixed the ones that needed to be fixed. That is what the warranty is for. ALL of the auto manufacturers operate this way.
The shifting quality issues that the 8-speed has had are/were a software/programming issue, not an internal defect (like the few thousand early 8-speed transmission failures, primarily on AWD V/6 models), and not a safety issue. You know this edy, yet you continue to bad-mouth Toyota over this issue.
I reiterate... ALL manufacturers produce vehicles with factory defects, and ALL manufacturers have recalls. Toyota is NOT immune, and Toyota isn't scamming anybody. In fact, in recent years Toyota has become one of the most transparent auto manufacturers when it comes to owning-up-to manufacturing defects.

Originally Posted by wag123
There were not anywhere near 53000 of them that failed and Toyota didn't need to recall them. All of the affected vehicles were still under warranty and Toyota just fixed the ones that needed to be fixed. That is what the warranty is for. ALL of the auto manufacturers operate this way.
The shifting quality issues that the 8-speed has had are/were a software/programming issue, not an internal defect (like the few thousand early 8-speed transmission failures, primarily on AWD V/6 models), and not a safety issue. You know this edy, yet you continue to bad-mouth Toyota over this issue.
I reiterate... ALL manufacturers produce vehicles with factory defects, and ALL manufacturers have recalls. Toyota is NOT immune, and Toyota isn't scamming anybody. In fact, in recent years Toyota has become one of the most transparent auto manufacturers when it comes to owning-up-to manufacturing defects.

They did not. They actually sent a letter saying that rough shifts are to be expected throughout lifespan of transmisison.
No, all companies do not operate that way.

Originally Posted by Pew

Did Ford ever come up with a true fix , or have they stopped using that transmission ? I talked myself out of purchasing a used Focus , after I learned of the transmission problems ) .

Originally Posted by wdn
Toyota sells more than 2,000,000 cars a year the US and 250 of them have an issue. That is 1 car affected per 8,000 cars sold.
Originally Posted by jayjr1105
Looks like Both Toyota and Honda are struggling with modern engines.

If only 250 had the issue why recall 44k? Plenty of automakers have sophisticated inventory control which allows them to recall only the effected vehicles (ex, 250 specific VINS) vs tens of thousands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back