Toyota Engine recalls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toyota sells more than 2,000,000 cars a year the US and 250 of them have an issue. That is 1 car affected per 8,000 cars sold.
Originally Posted by jayjr1105
Looks like Both Toyota and Honda are struggling with modern engines.

Kudos to Toyota for quickly identifying a problem and taking the necessary steps to remedy it. They did the same with my 2003 Tacoma with the front ball joints because of a slight score in the manufacturing process.

Toyota isn't trying to hide from it like other auto makers often do. Think Ford and it's craptastic Powershift transmission.

Originally Posted by dave123

https://www.consumerreports.org/car...all-replace-engine-avalon-camry-rav4-es/

To use the word struggling is a bit of a stretch I believe they're addressing a issue and taking care of it.

Well, what with the hand wringing about Honda's 1.5T's of late...

but this recall isn't one of them. The threat of 250 engines *possibly* having an issue triggering a 44,000 vehicle recall? IMO this is how it ought to be done, identify a problem, diagnose the cause, fix it. Lather rinse repeat.

And I'm not trying to be fanboi here, Toyota has plenty of skeletons in the closet and models I'd never touch because of problems. I'm just saying, this is how it ought to be done, regardless of make.

We all know several makes that would handle this very differently. If an engineer came to the executives at some other companies and said "I believe 250 cars out of the last 44,000 we made are possibly going to have engine failure.", the executives would then promptly ask "Are the engines going to fail after the warranty has expired or are we going to have to pay for these things?" and then "How can we blame the consumer?".

As an owner of one of these vehicles that may be affected, I applaud Toyota for not just sweeping this under the rug and being transparent about their manufacturing defect.

I don't see anything in that article that would indicate they are "struggling" with modern engines, a water flow meter failed in the factory for cripes sake. Only 250 out of 44 thousand, nothing to see here.

Toyota announced that about 250 out of the 44,191 recalled vehicles will actually need their engine replaced

The problem started in September 2019 at a Toyota-owned factory in Tennessee that manufactures engine blocks for Toyota and Lexus vehicles. According to a written statement from the automaker, a water flow meter at the factory failed while some engine blocks were being cast. As a result, these blocks did not cool properly, which caused cracks to develop.

Ford also had the craptastic engine-exploding internal water pump issue. Instead of fixing it they just aged out that engine.

Honda still has an issue with the 1.5 turbo and still trying to sweep it under the rug instead of a formal recall. It's pretty embarrassing when Chinese government stops sales of Honda in the whole country because they do not meet minimum quality standard for sale in China. That was just one year ago.

So Toyota knows which serial numbered engines are bad i.e. 250 of them, but they don't know which cars they were installed in. They need to inspect 44K cars? Doesn't pass my smell test. Interned at a Ford assembly plant (St Paul) during college in the mid 80's and they knew which engine was installed in what chassis by vin. It's 2020, and they don't know that? More to this recall then stated in my opinion.

Dave

Does it really matter? They send a letter out, you go to the dealer, they check it and either tag it engine replacement or not. Done deal.
No need for conspiracy theories and the rest of it, its a simple recall.

In Japan the make sure water flow control during block casting man would commit suicide. Unfortunately the country of origin here for faulty work is the USA, Tennessee to be exact.
They recall 44000 to make sure they get them all. There must be a visual check for coolant plus the serial number.There is no struggle with modern engines just modern people who aren't observant and focused.

Simple. Toyota does not know which of the 44,000+ recalled cars may have the problem. They are estimating the number to 250 may be affected on doing a root cause analysis of the problem. That's the difference between engineering and "I once interned at an assembly line".

https://www.consumerreports.org/car...all-replace-engine-avalon-camry-rav4-es/

The listed failure does not appear to be design related but manufacturing issue instead. Not exactly a "modern" problem just that in "modern" times car makers worry more about defects and replace/fix.

Honda though is having modern or updated engine issues due to design not manufacturing. Bucketing the two issues is a simpleton statement.

Toyota definitely is handling it better than the infamous Hyundai/Kia Theta engine issues, tackling the issue head on instead of sweeping it under an increasingly lumpy SK rug!

Originally Posted by zzyzzx
I'd be more concerned about the CVT that some Corolla's use.

Why? What data do you have to suggest they are substandard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back