Recent Topics
Trailblazer tire pressures
by zrxkawboy - 03/31/20 06:01 AM
Lincoln MKZ hybrid / Sitting for 6+ weeks
by Ammofirst - 03/31/20 04:01 AM
Megapulse VEE System
by toyota62 - 03/31/20 01:35 AM
If only I had more time...
by 14Accent - 03/31/20 12:34 AM
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0W-40 availability.
by LTZ10 - 03/30/20 11:01 PM
Brake Fluid testing - moisture & copper
by DIY4quality - 03/30/20 10:49 PM
My E46 with BMW Style 225M wheels
by SLO_Town - 03/30/20 10:49 PM
2019/2020 VW Jetta GLI
by TCU_Adam - 03/30/20 10:00 PM
Inner Core Oil Filter
by QuangTeo - 03/30/20 09:56 PM
245/65/R17
by KE7JFF - 03/30/20 09:42 PM
Replace fuel sending unit or just roll with it?
by cwilliamsws6 - 03/30/20 09:37 PM
lawn sprinkler troubleshooting
by Burt - 03/30/20 07:44 PM
Air conditioner in a toyota avalon
by ChrisSnowden - 03/30/20 06:11 PM
CV axle shaft vertical play?
by JHZR2 - 03/30/20 05:29 PM
This is how it's done!
by Mad_Hatter - 03/30/20 04:56 PM
Android to PC pictures?
by Eddie - 03/30/20 04:30 PM
Crazy fixes that worked
by IMSA_Racing_Fan - 03/30/20 01:39 PM
Cadillac CTS 4 AWD driveline care and feeding
by IMSA_Racing_Fan - 03/30/20 12:13 PM
Newest Members
Z08969, TCU_Adam, deaner1979, jdana24, KlenFrappe379
71061 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
65 registered members (AndyB, cdm1993, 94astro, Char Baby, 4WD, 7 invisible), 1,477 guests, and 17 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics303,499
Posts5,235,235
Members71,061
Most Online4,538
Jan 20th, 2020
Donate to BITOG
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Why use a "synthetic blend"? [Re: Navi] #5350702 02/15/20 11:16 AM
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 962
W
wdn Offline
Offline
W
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 962
I dispute that Walmart is the world headquarters for anything, but will buy motor oil online from them if and only if they offer the best deal including shipping. They are not cheaper than Costco or Sam's Club on motor oil, rarely beat Amazon, and are never cheaper than Rock Auto for oil filters.

Re: Why use a "synthetic blend"? [Re: wdn] #5350708 02/15/20 11:22 AM
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,454
D
dblshock Offline
Offline
D
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,454
Originally Posted by wdn
I dispute that Walmart is the world headquarters for anything, but will buy motor oil online from them if and only if they offer the best deal including shipping. They are not cheaper than Costco or Sam's Club on motor oil, rarely beat Amazon, and are never cheaper than Rock Auto for oil filters.


except when a mfg. rebate is involved, however, Walmart.com cannot produce a coherent receipt necessary to redeem rebates...full of ads, tips they're pages long beware.


05 Lexus GX470 175k
640:1 TCW-3
M1 0W40 XG-3614
Toyo Open Country H/T II

06 4Runner SR5 155k
640:1 TCW-3
M1 0W40 XG-3614
Falken Wildpeak AT3W
Re: Why use a "synthetic blend"? [Re: Navi] #5350716 02/15/20 11:31 AM
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 21,170
A
aquariuscsm Offline
Offline
A
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 21,170
I remember years back (late 80s early 90s) dino would be $1 a quart, synthetic blend $1.99 a quart, and synthetic $4.99 a quart.


1996 Nissan 300ZX 5-speed,Arctic Pearl(#175 of 300)
Quaker State Ultimate Durability 10W30
2012 Honda Accord Coupe EX-L 2.4,auto,San Marino Red
Quaker State Ultimate Durability 0W20

Re: Why use a "synthetic blend"? [Re: Navi] #5350717 02/15/20 11:32 AM
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,364
K
krismoriah72 Offline
Offline
K
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,364
Pennzoil is the only 'conventional' oil that i have found that does not mention synthetic blend.

Valvoline, Mobil and Havoline all mention synthetic blends in their 'conventional' wording.

Re: Why use a "synthetic blend"? [Re: aquariuscsm] #5350722 02/15/20 11:40 AM
Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 2,784
C
CR94 Offline
Offline
C
Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 2,784
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
I remember years back (late 80s early 90s) dino would be $1 a quart, synthetic blend $1.99 a quart, and synthetic $4.99 a quart.
Huh! I remember when respectable brands of conventional oil were 79 cents/quart on sale, Mobil1 (the only synthetic) was $4, and blends didn't exist.


2011 Toyota Prius now at 109K
1981 Mazda GLC (323) retired at 606K
1972 Subaru DL retired at 190K
1954 Chevrolet retired at 121K
Re: Why use a "synthetic blend"? [Re: Triple_Se7en] #5350737 02/15/20 12:01 PM
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 14,687
C
CT8 Offline
Offline
C
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 14,687
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by Imp4
Originally Posted by CT8
What is the difference in engine life between the oils on Walmart shelve. I see engines lasting just as long on semi or conventional as syn oils.

There is typically no discernable difference. The only thing a syn oil does is enable the user to extend change intervals.
This may or may not be a benefit for a particular user.

Using synthetic oils does not result in magic longer engine life.
There are too many other influencing factors.


Wrong
Syns keep TGDI/GDI engines cleaner and are beneficial when extreme low temps and extreme high temps occur, both outside the engine and inside the engine.
If manufacturers already broke the engine-in - prior to product retail sale, the factory oil would be full syn.

It's always been a good rule-of-thumb from many BITOGERs here and many vehicle mechanics online, to allow 3K after new vehicle purchase, before running full synthetic oils.

That's when the added benefit of having full syn starts paying better dividends. Keep your factory-fill in for a while. Odds are, it's conventional or semi-syn and good for the new engine break-in.

If your new vehicle comes with full syn, then that's a sign the manufacturer trusts the new engine already has the right digital parts-specs for that engine and either none or very little additional break-in period is needed.

There is little fact in what you have posted.


2015 F150 2.7
2018 F350 6.2
Re: Why use a "synthetic blend"? [Re: Navi] #5350754 02/15/20 12:26 PM
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 2,971
C
csandste Offline
Offline
C
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 2,971
As stated above if it's SN+ it's a blend, and if that blend is sold as a conventional the cost at an oil change place will be WAY cheaper. Change your own, use a cheap syn like ST or Harvest King.

If you go back to the dawn of BITOG seems like there was a lot of discussion that a conventional with a stout add pack like PYB would top a cheap group 3. Don't hear that any more.

Last edited by csandste; 02/15/20 12:30 PM.

2017 Kia Soul+ Valvoline Daily Protection 5w30+ a bit of Harvest King syn 5w30-- 75,000 miles
Re: Why use a "synthetic blend"? [Re: Navi] #5350862 02/15/20 03:18 PM
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 962
W
wdn Offline
Offline
W
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 962
How about: Prime Series API SN Plus is $21.48 for a case of 12 quart at Sam’s Club. That is $1.79 a quart. That is a good reason.

Re: Why use a "synthetic blend"? [Re: Navi] #5350881 02/15/20 03:52 PM
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,766
B
Black_Thunder Offline
Offline
B
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,766
i generally only buy syn blend now if its a high mileage oil that i feel is needed or there is a clearance sale.


I'd buy Callahan autoparts if I could.
Re: Why use a "synthetic blend"? [Re: CT8] #5350898 02/15/20 04:27 PM
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 12,750
T
Triple_Se7en Online Content
Online Content
T
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 12,750
Originally Posted by CT8
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by Imp4
Originally Posted by CT8
What is the difference in engine life between the oils on Walmart shelve. I see engines lasting just as long on semi or conventional as syn oils.

There is typically no discernable difference. The only thing a syn oil does is enable the user to extend change intervals.
This may or may not be a benefit for a particular user.

Using synthetic oils does not result in magic longer engine life.
There are too many other influencing factors.


Wrong
Syns keep TGDI/GDI engines cleaner and are beneficial when extreme low temps and extreme high temps occur, both outside the engine and inside the engine.
If manufacturers already broke the engine-in - prior to product retail sale, the factory oil would be full syn.

It's always been a good rule-of-thumb from many BITOGERs here and many vehicle mechanics online, to allow 3K after new vehicle purchase, before running full synthetic oils.

That's when the added benefit of having full syn starts paying better dividends. Keep your factory-fill in for a while. Odds are, it's conventional or semi-syn and good for the new engine break-in.

If your new vehicle comes with full syn, then that's a sign the manufacturer trusts the new engine already has the right digital parts-specs for that engine and either none or very little additional break-in period is needed.

There is little fact in what you have posted.



Please give us the facts.

Last edited by Triple_Se7en; 02/15/20 04:29 PM.

Keep Your Pistons Valves & Injectors Clean

19 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.4 GDI
20 Kia Soul X-Line 2.0 MPI - both Pennzoil Ultra Plat. 5W30 / AC Delco PF1127 Ecores
04 Chev Colorado Napa Syn 0w20 & K&N



Re: Why use a "synthetic blend"? [Re: Navi] #5350911 02/15/20 04:48 PM
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 2,506
M
mk378 Online Content
Online Content
M
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 2,506
No one ever said how much synthetic was in their "blend." It could be less than 1%. The whole thing was nothing but marketing hype from the beginning.

Re: Why use a "synthetic blend"? [Re: Navi] #5350913 02/15/20 04:52 PM
Joined: Jul 2018
Posts: 135
D
DrDanger Offline
Offline
D
Joined: Jul 2018
Posts: 135
It has been mentioned here before. A good Group II oil is very close to a synt Group III oil. And more polar. Would oil companies give you a far better product for 2$ more?
How about 3$. Lower sulfur and lower acidity have their benefits... but unless you are making use of them by running a longer OCI it would not matter much.
Group III is preferable but its just a Group II cleaned up(and with slightly better Viscosity Index).

Re: Why use a "synthetic blend"? [Re: Navi] #5350927 02/15/20 05:07 PM
Joined: Jul 2015
Posts: 834
A
Astro_Guy Offline
Offline
A
Joined: Jul 2015
Posts: 834
I can't think of any reason to use either conventional or a synthetic blend.

Re: Why use a "synthetic blend"? [Re: Navi] #5350940 02/15/20 05:21 PM
Joined: Aug 2019
Posts: 370
N
Navi Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Joined: Aug 2019
Posts: 370
I used to buy filters from RockAuto but then I thought what if there are counterfeit filters out there. RockAuto has some good parts but I dont really know them so well. Walmart, Pep Boys, etc are national chains, well known and thus I feel better grabbing a filter from there. The other thing about mailorder is its mailorder. Sometimes you cant wait and need a store to go into right there. Walmart seems the place to go when you really need something. A one stop shop.

Re: Why use a "synthetic blend"? [Re: Navi] #5350990 02/15/20 06:33 PM
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 624
M
madeej11 Offline
Offline
M
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 624
Why use a synthetic blend? In certain instances it seemed guys were getting better UOA's with it. Like Magnatec syn blend vs. Magnatec full syn on Ecoboost engines. Probably the exception though rather than the rule of thumb as far as which one to use.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

BOB IS THE OIL GUY® Powered by UBB.threads™