Why use a "synthetic blend"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Walmart is the oil change headquarters and at the headquarters building for $22 you get 5 quarts of your favorite variety. So why would anyone grab semi synthetic when they have full synthetic every where?

The market has changed.
There used to be a $10-$15+ cost spread between conventional and synthetic. That's where semi syn slotted.
Now I can get magnatec full syn for $17 and Supertech full syn for $15.
With rebates I can get Mobil1 for $10.

In my eyes, there's no market for semi syn or for conventional any more.

Originally Posted by Navi
Walmart is the oil change headquarters and at the headquarters building for $22 you get 5 quarts of your favorite variety. So why would anyone grab semi synthetic when they have full synthetic every where?

Does Walmart sell every brand of semi-syn in every viscosity?
On the shelf will I find Pennzoil, Castrol, Valvoline, Mobil-1 and Quaker State semi-syn in all three.... 0w20, 5w20 and 5w30?

The answer is a very quick NO.... especially no to 0w20 in semi-syn..... a hard to find product.

Last edited:
I was just googling high mileage oils when I can across this page, https://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/31414/high-mileage-oil the following is about 3/4 down, just thought it was interesting what they say about the blend, I took it as kind of the best of both worlds.

Conventional Motor Oil

Conventional motor oil begins as crude oil from the ground. It is either solvent refined or hydrotreated and can be classified as Group I or Group II, under the API base oil classifications.

This type of mineral base oil carries additives well due to its molecular structure. Yet, it does have a shorter lifespan when compared with synthetic oil and will have a lower viscosity index than a true synthetic or Group III mineral oil.

Synthetic Motor Oil

Any motor oil with a base stock consisting of a Group III, IV or V oil would be considered a synthetic oil. Although Group III oils originate from a mineral oil, they undergo such high refining that they hold properties very similar to a true synthetic oil.

Synthetic oils generally are more resilient against temperature extremes and sheer than conventional motor oils due to their molecular structure and uniformity. One of the drawbacks of synthetic oils is that although they tend to have higher oxidative stability, they may not hold additives in suspension as well as a less refined oil.

Synthetic Blend

A synthetic blend is a combination of oils, such as a Group I or II oil mixed with a Group III, IV or V oil. Conventional and synthetic oils may be mixed so the mineral oil can hold additives in suspension while relying on the synthetic for scrubbing capability and oxidative stability.

A review of safety data sheets reveals that a Group II and Group III blend is the most prevalent, with few manufacturers using a Group IV or V oil as the synthetic in the blend.

What is the difference in engine life between the oils on Walmart shelve. I see engines lasting just as long on semi or conventional as syn oils. That being said for the price especially on sale why not go with the marketing and buy syn on sale 239,000 ecoboost.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Does Walmart sell every brand of semi-syn in every viscosity?
On the shelf will I find Pennzoil, Castrol, Valvoline, Mobil-1 and Quaker State semi-syn in all three.... 0w20, 5w20 and 5w30?

The answer is a very quick NO.... especially no to 0w20 in semi-syn..... a hard to find product.

The answer is NO because there isn't demand in the market.

Originally Posted by CT8
What is the difference in engine life between the oils on Walmart shelve. I see engines lasting just as long on semi or conventional as syn oils.

There is typically no discernable difference. The only thing a syn oil does is enable the user to extend change intervals.
This may or may not be a benefit for a particular user.

Using synthetic oils does not result in a default condition of longer engine life.
There are too many other influencing factors.

Originally Posted by Imp4
Originally Posted by CT8
What is the difference in engine life between the oils on Walmart shelve. I see engines lasting just as long on semi or conventional as syn oils.

There is typically no discernable difference. The only thing a syn oil does is enable the user to extend change intervals.
This may or may not be a benefit for a particular user.

Using synthetic oils does not result in magic longer engine life.
There are too many other influencing factors.

Wrong
Syns keep TGDI/GDI engines cleaner and are beneficial when extreme low temps and extreme high temps occur, both outside the engine and inside the engine.
If manufacturers already broke the engine-in - prior to product retail sale, the factory oil would be full syn.

It's always been a good rule-of-thumb from many BITOGERs here and many vehicle mechanics online, to allow 3K after new vehicle purchase, before running full synthetic oils.

That's when the added benefit of having full syn starts paying better dividends. Keep your factory-fill in for a while. Odds are, it's conventional or semi-syn and good for the new engine break-in.

If your new vehicle comes with full syn, then that's a sign the manufacturer trusts the new engine already has the right digital parts-specs for that engine and either none or very little additional break-in period is needed.

Last edited:
Synthetic blend is the new normal in bulk 5w30. Some but not all companies market this. Others want to shame you into a mid-grade that's "guaranteed" to be a blend. Why would you get it? Because it's good enough.

Originally Posted by eljefino
Synthetic blend is the new normal in bulk 5w30. Some but not all companies market this. Others want to shame you into a mid-grade that's "guaranteed" to be a blend. Why would you get it? Because it's good enough.

It's the new norm because it keeps the price of the bulk oil change to a minimum. Otherwise, most places bleed the purchaser's wallet when full syn is used.

At Walmart the difference between conventional and syn oils is only $5-$10. Try getting a full syn oil change at Uncle Ed's, Valvoline or Pennzoil Oil Change Centers for $5 to $10 more?....... you can't.

Last edited:
Synblends are a wholesale game. Fleets and other bulk users will use synblends for maximum value.

Of course its impossible for the local Walmart to have every variety of oil but it seems the ones over here have an extensive inventory with entire aisles dedicated to oil. Whatever you cant get immediately you can order it on their Website and they will get it for you. Still it wont have every oil your imagination can dream up, but in any event I see absolutely no reason to get a semi-synth when you have all these full synthetic oils floating about always on sale and cheap.

Last edited:
Last time I looked at NAPA blue bottle it said "synthetic blend" and was on sale for cheap. Are there conventionals any more?

Given my living situation, I do (mostly) dealer or Indy changes now. I stay away from quick lubes because they're actually more expensive and...yeah. Hoping to get back into changing my own in the next year or two. I used to buy 5 qts Quaker State UD synthetic for about $15. OEM filter for $4 for the winter months. Then conventional on sale for $10. Sometimes QSGB. Sometimes Shell white bottle. Sometimes Chevron. For the summer months.

Now, on my 17 Corolla, it's out of warranty. So I'm contemplating 10000 mile changes with syn (as recommended) or 7500 with syn blend due to price differences at the dealer and indy.. Because, honestly, I don't think my Corolla's 132hp engine that requires racing fuel really cares if it's 5w20 blend or 0w20 syn. The thicker oil might slow my 0-60 time from 9.8 seconds to 10.1.

That's why I'd use one now. But when I go back to changing my own...lawnmowers would be my only reason at current syn prices when you do your own changes.

Last edited:

I do not get it either. Is it 90/10 or 10/90 percent of synthetic vs conv. oil? Or 50/50?

SN+ and Dexos 1 Gen 2 pretty much require a blend, if one looks at the PDS for Valvoline Daily Protection/VWB, or Chevron Supreme in 5W20 or 5W30 (among many others), they've been blends for at least a couple years. To get a non-blend conventional, need to go 10W30 or thicker. Now that OLMs are allowing up to 10K OCIs, a non-blend dino really isn't good enough anymore.

I dispute that Walmart is the world headquarters for anything, but will buy motor oil online from them if and only if they offer the best deal including shipping. They are not cheaper than Costco or Sam's Club on motor oil, rarely beat Amazon, and are never cheaper than Rock Auto for oil filters.

Originally Posted by wdn
I dispute that Walmart is the world headquarters for anything, but will buy motor oil online from them if and only if they offer the best deal including shipping. They are not cheaper than Costco or Sam's Club on motor oil, rarely beat Amazon, and are never cheaper than Rock Auto for oil filters.

except when a mfg. rebate is involved, however, Walmart.com cannot produce a coherent receipt necessary to redeem rebates...full of ads, tips they're pages long beware.

Pennzoil is the only 'conventional' oil that i have found that does not mention synthetic blend.

Valvoline, Mobil and Havoline all mention synthetic blends in their 'conventional' wording.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
I remember years back (late 80s early 90s) dino would be $1 a quart, synthetic blend $1.99 a quart, and synthetic $4.99 a quart.
Huh! I remember when respectable brands of conventional oil were 79 cents/quart on sale, Mobil1 (the only synthetic) was $4, and blends didn't exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back