In simplest form, please explain Conv, SB, and FS differences

Status
Not open for further replies.
Without going into much technical jargon/detail, what are the main differences between modern (SN, SN+) Conventional, Syn Blend, and Full Synthetic.

If it's 5w20-30, the difference on the first two is what they call it on the bottle. Most have roughly half group 3 depending on weight. When they relabel it, people on Amazon will complain that it's no longer real oil, since everyone knows synthetic means phony.

Last edited:
Simply put Conventional is refined crude then with more refining you get a blend as synthetic is added to refining process. Synthetic could start as refined crude oil or other bases then refined even more. If you look at additive it is essentially the same but refinement process is what determines the quality. I have heard the term man-made but man has a hand in all of this.

Originally Posted by jayjr1105
Without going into much technical jargon/detail, what are the main differences between modern (SN, SN+) Conventional, Syn Blend, and Full Synthetic.

reading an article will be a better answer than most.

When we get to the next generation of oil, they'll be even less group II in everything. I think oil companies are still scratching their heads on how to proceed with branding. Some of those traditionally conventional brands still have a lot of value.

The name brand products are all so good that it should not matter what you use, as long as you follow the viscosity and OCI recommendations of the vehicle's manufacturer. Some turbo and high performance engines are spec'd for synthetic because of higher temperatures. Most oils are synthetic blend or synthetic anyway, especially with the 0w-20 or 0w-16 viscosities recommended for most newer cars, or for northern climates .

Extended life (15K+) oils are all synthetic.

Last edited:
The home page of this very website (BITOG) has a fine review of motor oils written by Molakule. If you want to do a deeper dive into motor oils, go to the right column of the home page, look for "Motor Oil University". If you wish to dive in even deeper, you can go to forums, look for the forum category called science and look for "white papers and interesting articles.

I imagine that you will find everything that you want to find and more on BITOG. This is a content rich website.

BITOG has become a great place for me to find information. I am having a great time looking through the tools forum to try and find Snap On quality tools at Craftman prices.

I hope this helps?

Originally Posted by frankbee3
The home page of this very website (BITOG) has a fine review of motor oils written by Molakule. If you want to do a deeper dive into motor oils, go to the right column of the home page, look for "Motor Oil University". If you wish to dive in even deeper, you can go to forums, look for the forum category called science and look for "white papers and interesting articles.

I imagine that you will find everything that you want to find and more on BITOG. This is a content rich website.

BITOG has become a great place for me to find information. I am having a great time looking through the tools forum to try and find Snap On quality tools at Craftman prices.

I hope this helps?

Spoken for truth, and I enjoy some VOA's you shared also frankbee3
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back