Direct Injection Explained. Best I Have Seen..But That’s Just Me...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by tenderloin
Forgot to mention this was done before the change in oil formulations/ additives that help decrease the problem.

The two most important oil qualities to have for DI engine are:

1. Lower SA
2. Noack

….in that order.

Valvoline however doesn't seem to think Noack matters as much. I almost wonder if there is some unique cleaning ability in that oil that when it vaporizes it cleans the top of the intake valves.

*I think a mixed port/DI setup is ideal like Toyota has.

From Mazda:

SAVAGEGEESE:
How is carbon build up managed and additional blow created from turbo associated with DI?

DAVE COLEMAN:
Carbon buildup on DI intake valves has two contributors. The oil itself getting on the valves, and the valves being at a temperature that promotes the formation of hard deposits.

We've dramatically reduced the oil in the intake stream compared to our last DI Turbo through several measures. First, oil blowing past turbo seals directly into the intake stream has been reduced with better turbo oil seals and lower oil pressure in the turbo itself. Actual blow-by has been reduced across the board with SKYACTIV engines by improving the roundness of the cylinder bores through improved analysis of casting, machining and assembly stresses that can slightly warp the bores. Taking this into account in the design process has given us much better blow-by performance.

Finally, the realization of the sensitivity to intake valve temperature has allowed us to design the cylinder head structure, cooling system and calibration to manage intake valve temperatures to prevent carbon buildup.

Gumout intake valve cleaner costs $11.
It works fantastically and it is (relatively) easy to use.

This guy seems to ve way off base with respect to maintenance costs...

His car reviews can be brutal.... but Savage Geese does a great job explaining fuel injection.. and showing why direct injection can cause problems.
Direct Injection

Why don't you like his car reviews? I think hes one of the best IMO.

I've been looking at low noack oils. I think my next oil in the mazda DI will be amsoil ATM 10w 30. Noack is 4.1

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Imp4

That does nothing for direct injection engines since the fuel does not pass through the intake valves.

Originally Posted by mcrn
His car reviews can be brutal.... but Savage Geese does a great job explaining fuel injection.. and showing why direct injection can cause problems.
Direct Injection

I like his reviews.. they can be more frank IMO than many others.

This catch can thing doesn't make sense to me. If it were that easy/cheap why wouldn't manufacturers already have them on their engines?

It also seems to me that a copper or stainless steel pot scrubber stuffed into those catch cans would make it work even better.

Originally Posted by mcrn
Direct Injection

Me too.

Originally Posted by jeepman3071

That does nothing for direct injection engines since the fuel does not pass through the intake valves.

Why wouldn't it?

The cleaner comes in direct contact with the intake valves. You spray these type of products into the throttle body or a vacuum line on a running engine.

I still don't think they'll do anything for seriously carboned up intake valves, but maybe they'd do something if you did a cleaning before every oil change or maybe every other..

Originally Posted by jeepman3071

you are thinking of the wrong product.. Intake valve cleaner is a spray can you spray into the intake with the engine running.

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

I don't see how that Gumout Regain can work. With an engine running, the stuff would simply blow right by the valves and the rushing air would dry off any small amount of solution that happens to hit the valve surface. Much more solution would hit the catalytic converter

Originally Posted by buster

*I think a mixed port/DI setup is ideal like Toyota has.

Ford uses a mixed DI/port setup now too.

Originally Posted by spasm3
I've been looking at low noack oils. I think my next oil in the mazda DI will be amsoil ATM 10w 30. Noack is 4.1

Amsoil's SA is too high IMO. Go with Driven GDI oils. Better choice. Low SA and low Noack. Or Mobil 1EP/AP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back