Injector cleaning machine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any one in here own or operate an injector cleaning machine?
And possibly someone with injector rebuilding knowledge.

Looking into what machine features are needed for cleaning and testing GM LS gen 3/4 injectors.
Looking at the ASNU system but wondering if the lower cost systems would suffice.
Is there any good rebuilding books available?

I used to have an ASNU machine, back in the late '90's early 2000's. Great machine an did a good job, but in reality, injector problems are rare and running issues were always somewhere else.

I see injector problems every day but since the introduction of ethanol in the fuel its much worse. Marine and seasonal vehicle injectors seem the hardest hit, the DI injectors have carbon deposit issues.

OP Most injectors cannot be rebuilt only cleaned, very old mechanical ones and diesels can. GM LS gen 3/4 injectors are no big deal to test and clean but unless you are doing this as a business an Asnu machine and stocking parts is cost prohibitive.

Trav have you been around any of the low cost machines? I've never been around any of the machines but I have been studying all of the YouTube demos and it seems like the low cost machines do most of the functions that the higher dollar machines do. Not sure of the longevity of the lower cost machines but if they do the job it would pay for itself in a short time. The biggest problem for us is that there is not a machine in my town that we know of . Ups charges and down time is pushing this need.

The cheap machines have issues with the pumps and electronics in a short time going by what the guys that own them say.
USPS takes 2 days and they can be turned around in a day or two.
Anyone can clean them but diagnosing them properly is another thing, I run them for some time at different ms to get them up to operating temp then bump the pressure a little and check the mA. Its not unusual to find one blowing out from a weak coil that does not show up doing a normal cleaning.

We don't have ethanol in our fuels in NZ....so I guess we miss out on a lot of carburetor and injector problems. I'm happy with that.

While this isn't in the same ballpark as a quality ASNU machine & isn't a substitution for a guy like Trav's services, But.....As you know I did a lot of LSx conversions & stuck injectors are very common with used "pullout" engines. Here's what use.....

You will need a Pressure Vessel/Pot. My first inneration used a Paint Pressure Pot, But it was only rated at 50 psi which didn't allow me to bump the pressure. My Snap-on dealer had this pressure pot on his truck for over a year before selling it for half price on a cash deal.
It will need a regulator, A shut off valve on the outlet, And a pressure gauge downstream of the shut off valve.
A pressure gauge at the regulator is nice but not really needed.

You will need a good supply of dry filtered shop air (I know you have this), You don't want water or debris getting in your vessel!!

I use a OTC 3398 injector pulse generator, HERE It comes with a EV1 injector connector.....I made a Multec 2 & EV6 splitter/jumper harness & will cover ALL GM port injectors, And most other domestic & asian injector connector types.
The 3398's output (timebase-Ms) is accurate enough to Balance Test injectors via the pressure drop, You pressure up the rail to X amount of pressure, Flip the shut off valve, And I do a 1-Pulse at 100 Ms & a 50-pulse at 10 Ms......Record the pressure drop. Repeat for each injector.

Of course....you need to unstick & flow the injectors before performing a balance test, I like a 50/50 mix of gasoline & GM top engine cleaner 19355198. Do not pour gas out of a gas can into the pressure pot! Either use a pump & filter to pump gas from the can OR (What I do)......Use a fuel injection pressure tester/gauge on my shop truck & bypass some of it's clean fuel into my pressure pot.

To unstick an injector....Bump the pressure up to @ 70 psi, Hit the coil with a 50-pulse & lightly tap the injector body with a screwdriver handle.

Amperage & Voltage waveforms/signatures can be monitored, But it's not easy to get an injector "hot" with the 3398 as it will time out when pushed hard.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Ah ha gooood info there. Fully understand!
Now is there tooling to remove pintle caps and screens?

Pintle caps should flip off, and I had a tool with a reverse screw to pull the filter baskets...I used to buy the filters in packs of 100.

#7 injector on my 2005 Silverado 5.3 was completely clogged causing a major misfire/lean condition (with several codes). Cleaned it at home with a large syringe, carb cleaner and a drill battery. Codes are gone and the truck runs great! The first picture shows the injector COMPLETELY full of debris!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

We're the other injectors dirty?
Oh by the way..... nice vice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was pleasantly surprised to find out that the boy ordered a 6 hole machine. And already have it under power. I hope it has some good instruction because I don't see much at all on the net.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back