Predator 20 hr oil change interval?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Dave9
Originally Posted by hatt
If you use it for business I'd get something with a Honda GX/equivalent. Fooling with cheap throwaway equipment will only cost you time and money.

Maybe, but there's as good an argument to be made to not spend the whole budget on some luxury grade generator when it still is susceptible to common problems like carb gum-up and instead buy TWO cost effective generators so you have redundancy should one fail to operate. Of course there are storage issues and there's still the argument that if they are THAT important you could buy two Honda powered generators, but frankly I think they are a false value unless you need to put a high # of hours on them. Even the Chinese clone engines have gotten much better in the last 20 years, including parts sources when they are the Honda clone engines so you can use Honda parts. The Predator engine, I can't say one way or the other, never having had to work on one.

Why is a generator any different than any other piece of commercial equipment? Quality equipment doesn't use bargain bin throwaway engines. The cost just isn't that much more in the scheme of things. Of course on equipment that costs thousands you're not going to accept Harbor Freight engines. The parts thing is huge. With Honda I don't have to order a part and hope it fits. With a clone, who knows.

FWIW the Briggs manual for the equivalent size engine says to use 30 oil or 5W-30 synthetic. I use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-30 in my OPE and it seems to do really well. When I use T-5 Rotella 10W-30 it always seems to come out thin when I drain it.

Last edited:
don't use dino 10-30 unless you have a kolher engine that mandates it. its just too thin . here in florida engines work all day in 90+ deg heat. mabey in Canada you could use 10-30 dino but not for most of usa. I have use 20-50 even sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back