Best airliner?

Edyvw: I understand exactly. Its amusing to see the humor exhaustgases says and preaches.

OVERKILL: well stated and you are correct
thumbsup2.gif
10.gif

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Edyvw: I understand exactly. Its amusing to see the humor exhaustgases says and preaches.

OVERKILL: well stated and you are correct
thumbsup2.gif
10.gif

thumbsup2.gif

Yep - and a number of the smaller dual fuel power turbines are actually aircraft derivative

Originally Posted by 4WD
Yep - and a number of the smaller dual fuel power turbines are actually aircraft derivative

thumbsup2.gif
Didn't know that, but it isn't surprising.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by 4WD

thumbsup2.gif
Didn't know that, but it isn't surprising.

Lightweight and powerful - popular choice for offshore platforms where the crane rating can be a limit

https://www.ge.com/power/gas/gas-turbines

I know the Coast Guard cutter I was on back in the seventies had aircraft turbines as part of a CODAG power plant. We didn't use them much. They burned a lot of fuel and we made six knots which was pitiful. Later they were removed.

Originally Posted by SEMI_287
757 and 767. They're comfortable and work horses. Although old now, sadly.

Two of the best-flying, best performing, airliners ever built. They made be old, but I plan to keep flying them until they're parked.

Just did OE with an FO last week. Good kid. Good hands. 30 years of flying a taildragger (his own), 20 years of flying A-10s in USAF and 6 years of flying 737 really showed. Winds in EWR were 290/28G43, Landing 22L. I let him have the landing.

It was right on the money - the combination of a good pilot and capable, predictable, good-handling airplane.

I airline quite a bit, although I've not yet flown on a 787. In general, I prefer any of the wide body aircraft and don't really have a distinct favorite. Maybe the 777 comes closest.

Although I do have a love affair with the 727, not sure why, other than I simply like 'em.

Originally Posted by super20dan
my vote is L1011 . boeing 727 2nd and Vickers vc10 3rd

The Lockheed was a better design than the DC-10 without question and probably better than the B747.
Pity that RR couldn't supply the engines in a timely fashion.
The VC-10 is a seriously neat aircraft that was too late to market and too compromised by BOAC's requirements to which it adhered.
The B727 was a truly nice aircraft and those who flew it have nothing but praise for it.
Flew in one as late as the year 2000.

The Airbus stuff scares me. All flyby wire, and the wings don't look like they are attached to the fuselage very well. And that flyby wire system has had its share of trouble in the past. Its like Max 8 MCAS on steroids.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Exhaustgases
The Airbus stuff scares me. All flyby wire, and the wings don't look like they are attached to the fuselage very well. And that flyby wire system has had its share of trouble in the past. Its like Max 8 MCAS on steroids.

🚤🎣

Originally Posted by Exhaustgases

When did you notice the first signs of fear???

[Linked Image]

My favourite airliner is probably the same as Exhaustgases', the square-window Dehavilland Comet. No scary fly-by-wire, those square passenger windows sure look stronger than the flimsy round ones, and I bet it's easy to upgrade one with synthetic vision, plus the earlier turbine engines are a lot closer in their evolution to fuel-efficient and reliable piston engines.

Also, it's low-wing which is so obviously stronger than high wing airplanes... I hear the wings fall off those.

Last edited:
probably going with 773 or 789 … only caught one 744 flight last year so they are vanishing
The double bus was interesting the first couple times, but comes down to what seats they install -
Just too many people loading and unloading for one aircraft and I don't want to fly to some ME hub

Originally Posted by Surestick
My favourite airliner is probably the same as Exhaustgases', the square-window Dehavilland Comet. No scary fly-by-wire, those square passenger windows sure look stronger than the flimsy round ones, and I bet it's easy to upgrade one with synthetic vision, plus the earlier turbine engines are a lot closer in their evolution to fuel-efficient and reliable piston engines.

Also, it's low-wing which is so obviously stronger than high wing airplanes... I hear the wings fall off those.

LOL

Hmmm … my scariest flights were in two of their planes, Twin Otter and Turbo Beaver …
(middle of severe thunderstorms and overshot landing in the marsh) …

Back