Please help me identify this noise...

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Navigator sat all day and its 25 degrees F out. I started it remotely and I start to hear a screaching noise coming midship. Its not coming from the engine but midship around the transmission area. After it warms up a bit the noise seems to go away.

This condition is not related to my prior issues or repairs. I heard this whirring a while back and now its simply got much louder.

If you touch the exhaust, does the exhaust vibrate with the sound?

It could also be an AIR Pump going bad. Or Compressor for the Air shocks.

Any Lights on the Dashboard?

Last edited:
This doesnt have airshocks. It has electronic shocks similar to GMs magnetic ride.

Originally Posted by loneryder
Cat heat shield?

That what it sounds like to me. Some sort of heat shield vibration. Or possibly some weird exhaust flange leak.

Last edited:
Try a mechanics stethoscope on that to zero in closer. That sound will be vastly different as you get close to it. It might be a heat shield rattle but to me it sounds like some shaft scrubbing at the speed the engine is turning.
Pulleys and serpentine belt tensioner bearings makes noises like that when they start to die ( as they often do) though you'd think that to be coming from the front of the engine. Still, noises can sound like they are coming from some other place sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back