Rotor and Pads Recommendation for 2004 Sentra

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2004 Nissan Sentra 1.8L and the brakes need changing now.
I may as well change the rotors too, since they are relatively inexpensive.
On my SUV I used Hawk LTS pads and Premium Specialty Raybestos rotors with good success.
The Nissan is a 3rd backup vehicle for when either of the other 2 SUV's are in service, but I don't want to sacrifice quality on my selection.
Anyone with a recommendation for a good rotor and pad combination?

Pads, based on past experience with Hondas, always partial to Akebono Pro Act.

Rotors, guess it depends on how much you want to spend and how much rust protection. Based on Rock Auto description, the Raybestos Specialty Street do appear worth a look.

Originally Posted by Gebo
OEM.

Gah...before I even clicked on the topic I JUST KNEW within the first 5 replies someone would insist on OEM.

Anybody who works for a job designing ANYTHING can tell you that OEM is not always the best...everything has compromises/cost challenges and this is an economy car, where it is even more likely a quality aftermarket part could out-perform OEM. I've never owned a car in my life where all the parts remained OEM...THERE IS BETTER OUT THERE! (shocks, brakes, tires, exhaust, are just a few that come to mind)

Now, I'm not saying that is always the case...sometimes OEM is best, but take your time to do the research and don't just swallow the "OEM IS BEST" pill.

My vote is for Centric 105 PosiQuiet, Akebono Pro-Act or Bosch QuietCast/Perfect Stop Ceramic pads and 121 rotors.

As much as I refrain from using parts store pads, I've haven't heard too many issues from the Roulunds-made pads supplied to AutoZone and Advance/Carquest(Duralast Gold/C-Max and Wearever Gold/Platinum) and I wouldn't hesitate to use them on a Sentra either. I wouldn't be surprised if Nissan's Value Advantage pads were made in China or India as well. I've heard favorable things about Raybestos Element3 pads too. Just keep in mind an aftermarket pad won't have the same slotting/chamfering as the OEM pads and they will use a one-piece adhered shim rather than the 2-piece shim most Japanese cars use.

I'm not a fan of Wagner on most Japanese cars. They develop a clunk or pulsation after a while.

1 x RAYBESTOS EHT462H Element3; Hybrid Technology (Under Premium Brake pads)

2 x RAYBESTOS 980075FZN Element3; Coated Rotor (Under Coated Rotors)

These are a great pairing for the front I have used on several customers cars, from Rockauto

Originally Posted by ad244
Its a sentra...just get whatever with a lifetime warranty is cheapest.

thumbsup2.gif

Those Raybestos Element 3 rotors and EHT pads (as Jimzz recommends) are pretty good. Wow, less than $16 for the rotors at RA? I have these on front and rear of my 06 Odyssey. So far so good here in Massachusetts winter. No corrosion noted yet. They stop well and look good. Good value IMO.

Centric C-TEK Ceramic for $13 and Centric C-TEK rotors for $14 if they aren't very visible through the wheel or you don't care how they look, otherwise the Durago coated for $19.

Looking at a couple options and comparing, I noticed on Rock Auto website, that the Raybestos Element 3 rotors have a less than .004" lateral run out, while the Raybestos Specialty Street Performance line for twice the cost has less than .002" lateral runout.
I did not see any advertised specs on lateral runout on any of the other rotors.
Is that anything that needs consideration on new rotors?
Is the .002" difference between the Element 3 and the specialty street performance rotor anything that would be noticeable?

Originally Posted by Fitz98
Looking at a couple options and comparing, I noticed on Rock Auto website, that the Raybestos Element 3 rotors have a less than .004" lateral run out, while the Raybestos Specialty Street Performance line for twice the cost has less than .002" lateral runout.
I did not see any advertised specs on lateral runout on any of the other rotors.
Is that anything that needs consideration on new rotors?
Is the .002" difference between the Element 3 and the specialty street performance rotor anything that would be noticeable?

I highly doubt you will notice. If it was a vehicle that is know to have rotor issues, like the Honda Odyssey for example, then paying extra may be worth it.
But I use the Raybestos coated rotors and Hybrid premium pads on many vehicles with no complaints.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back