What thickness is Aluminum Beam for Wind Load 170mph?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone familiar with aluminum beam strength tell me, how thick is a beam rated for wind load strength at 170mph ?

This is a question for an outdoor aluminum frame with screens.

In reading the code requirement, I see the following "////...designs need to be able to support wind loads of 170 MPH Exposure "C" category II...."

Aluminum is used on air planes, so a design in aluminum that can withstand the wind level you talk about can exist.

You did not supply any information, leading me to conclude you think this problem is trivial. It is not.

First you have to state the problem clearly, size, height etc. then you probable need to hire a certified structural engineer.

The force level depending on size can be considerable, like many tons in some cases. You may even need to study the ground to determine an appropriate attachment method.

Rod

Originally Posted by ragtoplvr

First you have to state the problem clearly, size, height etc. then you probable need to hire a certified structural engineer.

Anyone who answers this who isn't an engineer is a fool.

Not a trivial issue at all. Local building code for outdoor aluminum frames have evolved since last years hurricanes and I am in the process of shopping for new frame material with a plan to replace existing outdoor structure. Incidentally, it has withstood wind gusts up to 160 mph and not sustained any damage but it is 40 years old.

24" section height. 1" web thickness. Wide heavy flanges. 6061T6
36.gif

I got nuthin!

Last edited:
.Re-read your post and realized I was answering, poorly, a different question than you were asking.

Last edited:
You will have to give all the particulars to an engineer to get a real answer. 1"x1/4" aluminium bar stock fastened to concrete with fibreglass screening will survive but the screen will be gone. I am not so sure it would survive with good sail stock stretched across it though.

There is not enough information in your post for anyone to give you an answer. We don't know what you are building, what size it is, what materials you are using...

I am schooled as structural engineer and if I understand your question what size aluminum to hold a screen. Seems more like aluminum supporting it self as 170 MPH wind would simple destroy the screen or rip it.

Am i reading this right?

Nothing new is being built. Existing 40 year old outdoor aluminum frame will be replaced by new standard aluminum.

Note that I did not ask anything about screens and do not care at all about screens. Multiple wind events in excess of 160 mph with wind gusts exceeding 200 mph have come and gone and old structure is just fine.

Replacing it despite all this "old strength" to match current standards of outdoor aluminum beams.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Are you planning on doing DIY ? There may be some tables and charts to cover off the sizing from aluminum frame maker or the supplier has some software to help them out.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back